Manchester

Uni of Manchester Freshers 2014-15

Scroll to see replies

Manchester pharmacy interview help?!?
University of Manchester
University of Manchester
Manchester
Original post by scowl1994
Anybody had a Chemistry interview yet? What was the structure of the interview like? Informal chat, or hard questions?

OK I got a blue card for giving too much away the first time I replied to this, so i'll try and be a bit less specific this time.
It's much more of an informal chat, nothing to be too worried about. My interveiwer was really nice when I had my MChem interveiw a few months ago, and from speaking to other people who had their interveiw on the same day, they all seemed fairly happy with how the interveiw went and hadn't found it particually stessful (no-one came out crying).
Hope this helps, good luck!
Original post by RoseBrilliante
Wheyy, I'm also for Chemistry (with a year in industry). Don't know whether to firm it or not though, because I really like Sheffield too... but Manchester's offer is higher! Stuck

I looked at Manchester and Shefield for Chemistry, but chose Manchester in the end for a few reasons:
1. Sheffield's labs looked a bit dark and small compared to Manchester's
2. Manchester generally does better then Sheffield in league tables for chemistry, and overall
3. the man who gave the departmental talk for Chemistry at Sheffield was the most boring man in the world, whereas Manchester had by far and away the best departmental talk guy of any of the universities I'd looked at.

Shefield does have the advantage of having much nicer accommodation than Manchester though.
At the end of the day it's you're personal preferance, choose the one you think you'll enjoy the most
Oh yeah, and I'm going for a year in industry too :five:
Original post by jonzza_81
I looked at Manchester and Shefield for Chemistry, but chose Manchester in the end for a few reasons:
1. Sheffield's labs looked a bit dark and small compared to Manchester's
2. Manchester generally does better then Sheffield in league tables for chemistry, and overall
3. the man who gave the departmental talk for Chemistry at Sheffield was the most boring man in the world, whereas Manchester had by far and away the best departmental talk guy of any of the universities I'd looked at.

Shefield does have the advantage of having much nicer accommodation than Manchester though.
At the end of the day it's you're personal preferance, choose the one you think you'll enjoy the most
Oh yeah, and I'm going for a year in industry too :five:

Yeah, I think I will firm Manchester and have Sheffield as my insurance because it doesn't make sense to have an insurance offer higher than the firm one and now that I think about it, I would be very happy if I went to either :smile: And yayy! :ahee:
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 1124
Hey guys I'm new to this thread and have an offer from Manchester (AAB for Pharmacy)

I came to ask a particular question, that is, does anybody know anything about whether we are allowed to torrent using the uni wifi?

I've heard that they don't allow P2P (e.g. no 40D etc). I'm just wondering if anyone knows much about this, or if there are any current Manchester students who download tv shows etc. and how they do it..
I will literally die if I don't get my weekly 8 Out of 10 Cats fix..

Reply if you know anything about wifi/torrenting/downloading PLEASE! cheerrs
Original post by cyiarik
Hey guys I'm new to this thread and have an offer from Manchester (AAB for Pharmacy)

I came to ask a particular question, that is, does anybody know anything about whether we are allowed to torrent using the uni wifi?

I've heard that they don't allow P2P (e.g. no 40D etc). I'm just wondering if anyone knows much about this, or if there are any current Manchester students who download tv shows etc. and how they do it..
I will literally die if I don't get my weekly 8 Out of 10 Cats fix..

Reply if you know anything about wifi/torrenting/downloading PLEASE! cheerrs

If it's legal it's allowed, if it's illegal it's not allowed.

Though I can't say I know anyone who got done for illegal downloads either tbh.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 1126
Original post by Origami Bullets
If it's legal it's allowed, if it's illegal it's not allowed.

Though I can't say I know anyone who got done for illegal downloads either tbh.

Posted from TSR Mobile

regardless, what about torrenting? can they see specifically what torrent you are downloading?
Original post by cyiarik
regardless, what about torrenting? can they see specifically what torrent you are downloading?

I'm not the techy sort, but I'm pretty sure they can see your internet activity.
Does anyone know when is the manchester offer holders day ?
Original post by Dezza1994
Does anyone know when is the manchester offer holders day ?

Depends on which subject you've applied for. They're organised by the departments, and if yours does one (not all do) then they'll let you know directly.
Reply 1130
Hey, I've firmed Manchester for Chemical engineering (MEng with industry)
Reply 1131
Original post by dipansh
anyone else for chemical engineering or opted for oak house??

I've made Manchester my firm choice for Chemical engineering(with industry).

I was also thinking of Oak House too, but I haven't applied for accommodation yet.
Are you thinking of going to the open house day on March 16th?
Reply 1132
Original post by mytsr

I was also thinking of Oak House too, but I haven't applied for accommodation yet.

actually i am an international student :O so i wont attend the open day :P i will be coming there in september directly :wink:
meet ya soon :P

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by mytsr

Have a read of this if you haven't already :smile: Accommodation FAQ
Reply 1134
Original post by dipansh
actually i am an international student :O so i wont attend the open day :P i will be coming there in september directly :wink:
meet ya soon :P

Posted from TSR Mobile

Oh right, I'll see you at freshers then :smile:.
Reply 1135
Have a read of this if you haven't already :smile: Accommodation FAQ

Yes I've seen it, thanks for putting it all together for us :smile:
Guys, the weirdest thing ever just happened to me. I study international foundation programme at King's College London and the highest grade that can be achieved here is 70. However, they have sent me an offer asking for an 80 at least for all subjects. What am I supposed to do? I could really use some help. :frown:

P.S. I applied to law
Original post by naberbenbegum
Guys, the weirdest thing ever just happened to me. I study international foundation programme at King's College London and the highest grade that can be achieved here is 70. However, they have sent me an offer asking for an 80 at least for all subjects. What am I supposed to do? I could really use some help. :frown:

P.S. I applied to law

Email them and explain that your foundation programme is marked out of 70, so your conditions are impossible to achieve.

It's not the first time that a mistake has been made and it won't be the last :wink:
Email them and explain that your foundation programme is marked out of 70, so your conditions are impossible to achieve.

It's not the first time that a mistake has been made and it won't be the last :wink:

But the problem is that the programme is marked out of 100 in theory but practically it is something like illegal for a teacher to mark over 70. Therefore even King's College itself asks for a 70 which is the highest grade. Do you think if I e-mail them they will reconsider their conditions? Or should I get my personal tutor to explain them the situation?(I don't even know if it is legal for my tutor to do that) I am terrified. :frown:
Original post by naberbenbegum
But the problem is that the programme is marked out of 100 in theory but practically it is something like illegal for a teacher to mark over 70. Therefore even King's College itself asks for a 70 which is the highest grade. Do you think if I e-mail them they will reconsider their conditions? Or should I get my personal tutor to explain them the situation?(I don't even know if it is legal for my tutor to do that) I am terrified. :frown:

None of this is legal or illegal - it's got nothing to do with the law.

I'd suggest that you get your tutor at KCL to contact Manchester on your behalf and explain the situation.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending