Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by golden tribe)
    How are we supposed to apply for accommodation. Do we wait for a letter with student details or are we supposed to go on the website and just apply. I have firmed manchester.
    You apply online once you have an offer, using the 7 digit student id number that should be in the letters / emails they've sent you.

(Original post by grassntai)
    Which is? How did you get the job offer?
    I won't say where I work or what I do, because that would make me far too identifiable. It's not directly related to politics, but it's a fairly niche sector I'd wanted to work in for a while. I actually found it much easier to get a job than I'd anticipated - I got an interview for every job I applied for.

I got the job offer by applying for it and going to interview, though the CareersService did help.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Origami Bullets)
    You apply online once you have an offer, using the 7 digit student id number that should be in the letters / emails they've sent you.

I won't say where I work or what I do, because that would make me far too identifiable. It's not directly related to politics, but it's a fairly niche sector I'd wanted to work in for a while. I actually found it much easier to get a job than I'd anticipated - I got an interview for every job I applied for.

I got the job offer by applying for it and going to interview, though the CareersService did help.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    What would be your most important advice for new students on internships and jobs

ReputationRep:

Posted from TSR Mobile
    I'm going for private accommodation, but I haven't received an id number yet.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by golden tribe)
    What would be your most important advice for new students on internships and jobs
    Do stuff outside of your degree. That means
    - societies (leadership positions where possible, it's even better if they're directly relevant to your career ambitions)
    - volunteering (again, make it relevant where possible, and do it via the Manchester Leadership Programme in second year)
    - paid work - not just bar work or anything quite so standard and mundane. You could work for the university as an alumni caller or student ambassador (amongst other jobs), for the SU, or for an outside company. But make sure you are actually developing new skills that will set you apart, even if it doesn't directly relate to your career ambitions

Start early too - in first semester of first year, and go along to the careers service then too. Putting it all off until third year is far too late, given that many jobs go to puerile who've already worked for that company, and job offers are often given out to first and second years.

Finally, you'll occasionally see the words Make the Most of Manchester. Seriously, do make the most of it. Your three years there are shorter than you imagine, and you'll have many opportunities that will never come your way again. Don't squander it.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Wohoo! Got an offer as well!

ReputationRep:
    Do they interview you for history on their applicant day?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ki Yung Na)
    Sent off my application earlier today.
    Applied to Foundation Science/Engineering Integrated Degree (Physics pathway), anyone else applied to science foundation courses here at Manchester?
    Yup I did, for the computer science route however.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ki Yung Na)
    Sent off my application earlier today.
    Applied to Foundation Science/Engineering Integrated Degree (Physics pathway), anyone else applied to science foundation courses here at Manchester?
    Yup! Hoping to do comp sci

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by HassanD)
    Yup I did, for the computer science route however.
    (Original post by Tai Ga)
    Yup! Hoping to do comp sci
    Nice! CompSci's cool! When did you guys send your application and have you hear back yet?

ReputationRep:
    Hi there! newbie here . Just got a conditional offer for MSc International Business and Management. Did anyone go there? The offer required me to re-take IELTS because the Writing was still 6.0

ReputationRep:
    For those that have offers, what kind of communication have you received? I had an invite to an open day and an email that told me I'll be receiving monthly updates from the university. But I haven't received an ID number or any other details. Am I alone?

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Coffeetime)
    For those that have offers, what kind of communication have you received? I had an invite to an open day and an email that told me I'll be receiving monthly updates from the university. But I haven't received an ID number or any other details. Am I alone?

Posted from TSR Mobile
    I haven't even received an invite to an open day, and I received my offer over 5 weeks ago.

ReputationRep:

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Are you quite certain you've not received a student id number? It's not in a separate email, it's normally embedded within other emails they've sent you. It's a 7 digit number that usually starts wut a 7, 8 or 9.

(Original post by farwazahra1)
    I haven't even received an invite to an open day, and I received my offer over 5 weeks ago.
    Not all departments do them. If you're keen to go along, you can always email the department and ask if they hold any post offer open days.

If they don't, and you haven't yet seen the university, there are non-subject specific accommodation tours and guided campus visits on most Wednesdays.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    anyone else get an offer for history of art??

ReputationRep:
    Are you quite certain you've not received a student id number? It's not in a separate email, it's normally embedded within other emails they've sent you. It's a 7 digit number that usually starts wut a 7, 8 or 9.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    I just checked again. Nothing. The only number I saw anywhere was my ucas number.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    I just checked again. Nothing. The only number I saw anywhere was my ucas number.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    In that case you'll need to email your department or the Student Services Centre, but don't be surprised if you don't get a response until after 5th January - there's only a skeleton staff at this time of year, and nothing at all from Thursday onwards.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:

Posted from TSR Mobile
    After I got my offer, I didn't get an email from them nor an invite to an open day, and I can't find the dates on the website

ReputationRep:
    In that case you'll need to email your department or the Student Services Centre, but don't be surprised if you don't get a response until after 5th January - there's only a skeleton staff at this time of year, and nothing at all from Thursday onwards.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Thank you again. I emailed them, so we shall see.

(Original post by PearJosh)
    After I got my offer, I didn't get an email from them nor an invite to an open day, and I can't find the dates on the website
    Hmm. It might just depend on the department.

ReputationRep:
    Any pharmacy offer holders?

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Hey guys, if someone could answer this question, I would really appreciate it.

I am applying for MSc in Petroleum Geoscience, my question is, do I have to write a personal statement? Nowhere does it say that I have to, or don't have to write one, I just wanna double check. Can anyone confirm please!

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brexit voters: Do you stand by your vote?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.