(Original post by ZJT)
    So, I messed up my UKCAT yesterday...

Avr. 697.5
    VR 620
    QR 880
    AR 660
    DA 630
    SJ Band 1

I graduated this year with a comfortable first (78%) in Biochemistry and need to work this year to be able to save some money. I don't have A Level Chemistry which really seems to be a problem. Is it actually worth applying with this UKCAT score as my only real options with UKCAT and no chem A Level are Newcastle, Warwick, Queens, and kings (ha, yeah right).Is it worth contacting some universities and asking in my Biochem undergrad in any way compensates for my lack of chem A Level?

Thanks!
    Are you taking the GAMSAT? You're UKCAT could be good enough for Warwick (although they also discriminate based on VR as well, so maybe not).

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Absorbaloff)
    I might be getting confused with Kings
    SGUL was about 110-120 places prior to 2014 entry. Places were then cut to 50.

KCL has always been around 20 places though there used to be more like 25 places before 2014.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by liam__)
    Are you taking the GAMSAT? You're UKCAT could be good enough for Warwick (although they also discriminate based on VR as well, so maybe not).
    I hadn't intended to do the GAMSAT as i expected a 750+ in the UKCAT. Ideally I would like to avoid it, but it looks like it may now be my only option. I have 5 days left to book it with a £60 late entry fee, which would give me 5 weeks to prepare.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ZJT)
    I hadn't intended to do the GAMSAT as i expected a 750+ in the UKCAT. Ideally I would like to avoid it, but it looks like it may now be my only option. I have 5 days left to book it with a £60 late entry fee, which would give me 5 weeks to prepare.
    Well you have a first class biochemistry degree. The GAMSAT plays to your strengths more than the UKCAT does. Most people's prep is on science anyway, so (presuming your science is up to scratch), just spend a few weeks doing essays and some practice questions.

ReputationRep:
    Hi. I wasn't aware that Warwick use VR scores - do you know how they use it in the shortlisting process?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ladybird198)
    Hi. I wasn't aware that Warwick use VR scores - do you know how they use it in the shortlisting process?
    Not 100% sure. MJK91 will know.

ReputationRep:
    Warwick use VR?! How? Why? What?!

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Not 100% sure. MJK91 will know.
    I went to the open day, they are starting to use VR scores this application cycle, however we weren't informed what the cut off would be.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Rose256)
    I went to the open day, they are starting to use VR scores this application cycle, however we weren't informed what the cut off would be.
    I'm pretty sure they used them last year too. People were angry because they announced they were using it after the UCAS deadline, so some people had applied with good UKCATs overall but below average VR, and were subsequently rejected.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by HCAssistant93)
    Warwick use VR?! How? Why? What?!

Posted from TSR Mobile
    They said people who do well in VR tend to do better in general. But I wouldn't worry too much I don't think they'd ask for anything ridiculously high scores in VR.....but then again that depends on how well everyone does

ReputationRep:
    I'm pretty sure they used them last year too. People were angry because they announced they were using it after the UCAS deadline, so some people had applied with good UKCATs overall but below average VR, and were subsequently rejected.
    Oh....ok. What was the cut off in VR last year?

ReputationRep:
    Like I said, I'm not sure on the specifics. I was only stalking last years thread as I might apply there this year.

ReputationRep:
    Last year you had to get above the mean score for VR which I think was 570 or something? I got 600 in VR and got an interview. I wouldn't bother guessing as to whether they'll keep their requirements the same or not this year, we didn't find out about that change until AFTER we applied last year!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MJK91)
    Last year you had to get above the mean score for VR which I think was 570 or something? I got 600 in VR and got an interview. I wouldn't bother guessing as to whether they'll keep their requirements the same or not this year, we didn't find out about that change until AFTER we applied last year!
    That's not so bad, I think the majority of applicants with a competitive UKCAT would have over 570 VR (or whatever the average is this year)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sampowell92)
    That's not so bad, I think the majority of applicants with a competitive UKCAT would have over 570 VR (or whatever the average is this year)
    Yeah but it'd suck ass if you got a high average from 3 sections but bailed on the first!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MJK91)
    Thanks, thats useful to know. Have just been on their website though and there's nothing about VR scores there! Just the cut-offs from the last 3 years.... You would expect a bit more transparency!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by kgee)
    Nope.. Any employment you have had...doesn't have to be in medicine
    Thanks

ReputationRep:
    On the open day the admission tutor mentioned the following:

"Emphasis will be placed this year on the VR section wherein applicants that fall in the bottom trait are immediately rejected, which are scores that fall below the mean national average as quoted from the UKCAT to be 571 for 2014. The UKCAT is then scored on a point basis with no given cut-off scores, as these change on a year by year basis.

Further points are then awarded from academic qualifications, with post-graduate qualifications (MSc/PhD) lowering the required UKCAT cut-off score needed for an interview".

Hope that helps! And so far, it seems that the VR and DA sections are going to be rather low this year...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by PkT1991)
    On the open day the admission tutor mentioned the following:

"Emphasis will be placed this year on the VR section wherein applicants that fall in the bottom trait are immediately rejected, which are scores that fall below the mean national average as quoted from the UKCAT to be 571 for 2014. The UKCAT is then scored on a point basis with no given cut-off scores, as these change on a year by year basis.

Further points are then awarded from academic qualifications, with post-graduate qualifications (MSc/PhD) lowering the required UKCAT cut-off score needed for an interview".

Hope that helps! And so far, it seems that the VR and DA sections are going to be rather low this year...
    What's the point system? So do they have a preference on students with masters/PhD? Or does this mean they just need a lower ukcat?

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Thanks PKT, MJK and others. Some really good information there.

Poll
Who is your favourite TV detective?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.