OCR Physics A G485 - Frontiers of Physics - 18th June 2015 Watch

Elcor
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by L'Evil Fish)
Both the voltages would decay at the same rate, because it's the total capacitance of a circuit that dictates the rate of it

So it's just their capacitance that leads to the ratio
Ooh fair enough.

(Original post by sarcastic-sal)
Came up two exams in a row though (June 12 and Jan 13) so probs not gonna make an appearance. You never know though.
Yeah I know

It will probably be CAT, PET and ultrasound or something. There will be little questions on MRI and gamma cameras perhaps. I also predict a weird cosmology question that hasn't come up before.
fnatic NateDestiel
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
Attachment 430807
Basically you use the exponential relationship equation and the value of λ calculated in (ai)
Thank you, but how are you letting the activity in a) be equal to N?
buxtonarmy
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
http://www.ocr.org.uk/Images/58049-q...of-physics.pdf

2bii how do you do it?? I don't understand how to convert it
fnatic NateDestiel
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by WishingChaff)
The easiest was of calculating this is to first recall the definition of half-life'

Defn: The half-life is the amount of time, on average, that is takes for half of the active nuclei to decay.

Now, given this, and the fact that the half-life in the question is 12 hours, you can calculate the number of active nuclei left.

Remember, you are told that you leave the nucleus for 36 hours, in other words, 3 times the half life. Therefore, the answer would simply be:
Spoiler:
Show

N = 2^{-3} N_0

Hope this helps.
tHANKS i use (1/2)^3
sarcastic-sal
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by Elcor)

Yeah I know

It will probably be CAT, PET and ultrasound or something. There will be little questions on MRI and gamma cameras perhaps. I also predict a weird cosmology question that hasn't come up before.
Depends how well PET was done last year as to how likley it is to come up. The examiner's report says
'The majority of the candidates gave decent explanations of the basic principles ofPET scanning and scored two or more marks. The quality of the answers was good,with many candidates showing excellent understanding of the annihilation ofpositron-electron, the production of two gamma photons and the detection of thesephotons to form an image. The question discriminated well.'
So doesn't sound like it was done horrifically. CAT scans are probably more likely to come up.
L'Evil Fish
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 years ago
I want MRI

**** the others
jamesbird18
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by leroythelost)
how do you know if they move clockwise or anticlockwise? Is it the positive and negative plate from the battery or the capacitors. If it's the capacitor how do we know which plate is positive and which is negative.
Look at battery symbol thats how you know
MO2898
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
That half life of a proton question last year...lol.

What even was the answer to that? The time it takes for the activity of a group of protons to fall to half?

Posted from TSR Mobile
sarcastic-sal
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by fnatic NateDestiel)
Thank you, but how are you letting the activity in a) be equal to N?
You don't use the activity but rather the decay constant (but using the decay constant in hours^-1 rather than seconds^-1 to save converting 36 hours into seconds).
Name:  DSCF7972.jpg
Views: 76
Size:  159.5 KB
leroythelost
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
What AS Physics are guys remembering I keep some stupid 1/2 marks questions on AS knowledge in past papers
nothepreacher
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by MO2898)
That half life of a proton question last year...lol.

What even was the answer to that? The time it takes for the activity of a group of protons to fall to half?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Yaas
dragozox
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
Hello everyone!!
can someone please tell me an explanation of medical tracer and the idea that it should have a short 1/2 life
thanks!!!
fnatic NateDestiel
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
You don't use the activity but rather the decay constant (but using the decay constant in hours^-1 rather than seconds^-1 to save converting 36 hours into seconds).
Name:  DSCF7972.jpg
Views: 76
Size:  159.5 KB
Thank you I see.

Thanks for the effort

I want MRI

**** the others
mad
sarcastic-sal
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by leroythelost)
What AS Physics are guys remembering I keep some stupid 1/2 marks questions on AS knowledge in past papers
Recurrent themes are energy of a photon, de Broglie wavelength of an electron, resistivity and general circuits stuff. Most are manageable if you know what equation to use, but the examiners reports say that using the wrong equations are often the main mistake in synoptic questions, so make sure you know what all of the equations are used for (especially in the waves topic of G482!)
simobob16
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
Can anyone think of any proofs of equations that we might need to know, like the proof of Kepler's law equation in the first exam?
actanide
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by simobob16)
Can anyone think of any proofs of equations that we might need to know, like the proof of Kepler's law equation in the first exam?
they might ask you to find v in terms of B and E, but thats the only one i can think of
leroythelost
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
Recurrent themes are energy of a photon, de Broglie wavelength of an electron, resistivity and general circuits stuff. Most are manageable if you know what equation to use, but the examiners reports say that using the wrong equations are often the main mistake in synoptic questions, so make sure you know what all of the equations are used for (especially in the waves topic of G482!)
I think i am comfortable with equations it's just definitions like electromotive force and line spectra and stuff like that
fnatic NateDestiel
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by simobob16)
that question was fun.

Loved the question on the proof of E=mcdelta theta.
JackThorpe7
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
Name:  IMG_0527.JPG
Views: 157
Size:  288.2 KB
(Original post by buxtonarmy)
http://www.ocr.org.uk/Images/58049-q...of-physics.pdf

2bii how do you do it?? I don't understand how to convert it
kate8
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
Both the voltages would decay at the same rate, because it's the total capacitance of a circuit that dictates the rate of it

So it's just their capacitance that leads to the ratio
If the capacitors were in parallel would they still decay at the same rate. Or because the current through them is different the one with the greater capacitance discharges faster?
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• Cardiff Metropolitan University
    Undergraduate Open Day - Llandaff Campus Undergraduate
    Sat, 27 Apr '19
  • University of East Anglia
    Could you inspire the next generation? Find out more about becoming a Primary teacher with UEA… Postgraduate
    Sat, 27 Apr '19
  • Anglia Ruskin University
    Health, Education, Medicine and Social Care; Arts, Humanities and Social Sciences; Business and Law; Science and Engineering Undergraduate
    Sat, 27 Apr '19

Have you registered to vote?

Yes! (551)
37.84%
No - but I will (114)
7.83%
No - I don't want to (102)
7.01%
No - I can't vote (<18, not in UK, etc) (689)
47.32%

Watched Threads