Gonville and Caius College (Cambridge) Students and Applicants Watch

Haz1248
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
Hall is actually one of the biggest I've been in - most other colleges only use them for formals which are for much smaller numbers. It's really nice that it seats an entire year (matriculation dinner etc.)!

I've really enjoyed my time here - the college societies are great (I've been lacrosse captain and involved with the music society), the accommodation is nice (though varies as is to be expected), food is reasonable and there's always plenty of it. The best bit I think is the people - everyone is really friendly, I've often got into conversation with people in other years at dinner, and everyone is happy to help if you have an essay crisis/get fed up etc. I've not noticed any elitism (except maybe the rowers, but they deserve it - Caius M1 has been head of the river for a while)! Nor have I noticed any Tories.

The college family system is also brilliant (you have 'parents' in the year above who look after you in Freshers' Week, and then get 'married' and have fresher 'children' in your second year. Obviously there are annoying things, but they'll probably be the same in most colleges (can't think of anything specific).
Smithy94
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
How is Caius with its grants? For example, do they give out travel grants very often? When I had a tour around Trinity Hall our guide said that he had received money to go backpacking in Africa the previous year and I was just wondering if stuff like this was the norm.
Haz1248
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by Smithy94)
How is Caius with its grants? For example, do they give out travel grants very often? When I had a tour around Trinity Hall our guide said that he had received money to go backpacking in Africa the previous year and I was just wondering if stuff like this was the norm.
I can't say much for the norm, but a friend of mine has receveid grants 2 years running to do language courses abroad, and I've just been given some money to do a music course. I think if you apply, they're quite reasonable, and most colleges will probably have similar setups. You usually have to demonstrate that it's for some sort of educaitonal benefit, but that isn't difficult if you're imaginative!
Smithy94
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by Haz1248)
I can't say much for the norm, but a friend of mine has receveid grants 2 years running to do language courses abroad, and I've just been given some money to do a music course. I think if you apply, they're quite reasonable, and most colleges will probably have similar setups. You usually have to demonstrate that it's for some sort of educaitonal benefit, but that isn't difficult if you're imaginative!
OK, thanks.

Another question; I believe that Caius only holds a May Ball every two years? If this is true, is this an issue? How hard is it to get tickets to another college's ball?
ArchedEdge
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
OK, thanks.

Another question; I believe that Caius only holds a May Ball every two years? If this is true, is this an issue? How hard is it to get tickets to another college's ball?
This is true, but it's not an issue. Alumni can buy tickets and those who miss out on 2 during their time at Cambridge often come back in their "4th" year to attend it once more.

And getting tickets to other balls are fairly easy, people can usually buy at least 2 tickets for their own college ball, so all you have to do is just ask friends, or get another friend to sort you some tickets out.
Onee-chan
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by ArchedEdge)
This is true, but it's not an issue. Alumni can buy tickets and those who miss out on 2 during their time at Cambridge often come back in their "4th" year to attend it once more.

And getting tickets to other balls are fairly easy, people can usually buy at least 2 tickets for their own college ball, so all you have to do is just ask friends, or get another friend to sort you some tickets out.
:eek: Didn't know that! Has there just been a May ball, or will the 2012 people get it in there first year? Thanks!
Smithy94
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by Onee-chan)
:eek: Didn't know that! Has there just been a May ball, or will the 2012 people get it in there first year? Thanks!
There's one this year I believe, which means that 2012 people (like myself) will get one in the second year.
Chazzer66
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
There's one this year I believe, which means that 2012 people (like myself) will get one in the second year.
I take it by 2012 you mean starting Oct 2012, not Oct 2011-12? If so brilliant, something to keep me motivated through the year should I meet my conditional!
Smithy94
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by Chazzer66)
I take it by 2012 you mean starting Oct 2012, not Oct 2011-12? If so brilliant, something to keep me motivated through the year should I meet my conditional!
Yep, so our first Caius ball will be in 2014.
Narutopolaris
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
So- how difficult is it to apply to read law as compared to other colleges? I just fell in love with the beautiful library, buildings and hall (not to mention the magnificent Stephen Hawking Building).
Chazzer66
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
Yep, so our first Caius ball will be in 2014.
Gah that's yonks away. Probably die of caffeine poisoning by then anyways
Narutopolaris
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by doritosandbeans)
Generally there's not much between colleges in subject. Caius is well-looked on for law, but I think application numbers are reasonably standard. There are 10-12 lawyers each year, and the fellows are very good. One's leaving at the end of the year, but two of those remaining are lovely men, very good at their subjects, and the DoS (Pippa Rogerson) is sometimes stern but very friendly once you get to know her. Because of the quality of fellows, the college's reputation and connections, (and I suspect Pippa being mildly intimidating when she wants to be) Caius generally has very good supervisors for law too.
Thanks man
Onee-chan
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
I kind of wanted one this year, but I guess in our second year we'll probably have more friends and enjoy ourselves more *self convincing* .

What subject are all your offers for?
Chazzer66
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
I kind of wanted one this year, but I guess in our second year we'll probably have more friends and enjoy ourselves more *self convincing* .

What subject are all your offers for?
I suppose that's one way to console ourselves!
I'm doing history. You?
Onee-chan
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
I suppose that's one way to console ourselves!
I'm doing history. You?
History! I remember a few history interviewees, I wonder if one of them is you! When was your interview? Mine was on the 5th. Should I meet the offer, I'll be doing medicine.
Chazzer66
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
History! I remember a few history interviewees, I wonder if one of them is you! When was your interview? Mine was on the 5th. Should I meet the offer, I'll be doing medicine.
Haha um I think mine was on the 6th but oh well, best of luck and I'm sure I'll see you in freshers!
Onee-chan
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
Haha um I think mine was on the 6th but oh well, best of luck and I'm sure I'll see you in freshers!
Good luck!
Narutopolaris
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
Guys, out of interest, does Caius serve halal food? I'm a bit confused....(and do we get put in disabled rooms?)
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
Has anyone been given any info on applying for accommodation yet? I haven't and was beginning to worry that I had to do something I didn't no about in order to get info on it. Thanks.
Onee-chan
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by Narutopolaris)
Guys, out of interest, does Caius serve halal food? I'm a bit confused....(and do we get put in disabled rooms?)
No idea but I'd imagine so. There's always the vegetarian option if they don't I guess? ;p

(Original post by 231192)
Has anyone been given any info on applying for accommodation yet? I haven't and was beginning to worry that I had to do something I didn't no about in order to get info on it. Thanks.
Don't worry! I haven't been sent any accomodation information either. Some people from other colleges have, so I think this is just Caius playing safe and waiting until after Results Day. ;p.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• Cranfield University
    Cranfield Forensic MSc Programme Open Day Postgraduate
    Thu, 25 Apr '19
  • University of the Arts London
    Open day: MA Footwear and MA Fashion Artefact Postgraduate
    Thu, 25 Apr '19
  • Cardiff Metropolitan University
    Undergraduate Open Day - Llandaff Campus Undergraduate
    Sat, 27 Apr '19

Have you registered to vote?

Yes! (121)
39.54%
No - but I will (16)
5.23%
No - I don't want to (20)
6.54%
No - I can't vote (<18, not in UK, etc) (149)
48.69%

Watched Threads