Turn on thread page Beta

OCR Biology A Exam Thread (Breadth - May 26, 2016 and Depth - June 7, 2016) watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by bp_22)
    I think we only need to be able to recognize which pictures are from which microscopes for that part of the spec
    Well I just found an exam style questions which said 'Outline how laser confocal microscopes produce an image'.

asinghj so I guess they could ask more than just pictures..

ReputationRep:
    Lol not really sure, just googling them
    "To include an appreciation of the images producedby a range of microscopes: light microscope,transmission electron microscope, scanning electronmicroscope and laser scanning confocal microscope." Only time i think its mentioned in the spec
    (Original post by asinghj)
    How do the pictures look like for the laser scanning thing look like?

ReputationRep:
    Oh yeah where was transcription on the specimen paper Ronny?
    my bad I meant translation - locked paper, question 4. transcription might come but translation won't.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Carrot_Cake_13)
    Well I just found an exam style questions which said 'Outline how laser confocal microscopes produce an image'.

asinghj so I guess they could ask more than just pictures..
    Ok but looking at the spec it just mentions what @bp_22 said.. I don't even know what to do with my life anymore.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ronnydandam)
    my bad I meant translation - locked paper, question 4. transcription might come but translation won't.
    Locked paper? Is that the practise paper?
    I hope it does come up though.. Easiest 4marks ever

ReputationRep:
    Ok but looking at the spec it just mentions what @bp_22 said.. I don't even know what to do with my life anymore.
    Do you now what spec point it is? Lol ur avi describes how I have been all day.

ReputationRep:
    What point would we make? Transcription occurs at the nucleus where mRNA is formed as DNA is too large to leave the nucleus. mRNA leaves through the nuclear pores. DNA helicase breaks the Hydrogen bonds between the bases. The antisense strand acts as the template strand where Uracil replaces thymine and free nucleotides pair with complementary bases.

ReputationRep:
    Do you now what spec point it is? Lol ur avi describes how I have been all day.
    "To include an appreciation of the images producedby a range of microscopes: light microscope,transmission electron microscope, scanning electronmicroscope and laser scanning confocal microscope."
    And this might be the stupidest question but what is avi?

ReputationRep:
    yeah

ReputationRep:
    "To include an appreciation of the images producedby a range of microscopes: light microscope,transmission electron microscope, scanning electronmicroscope and laser scanning confocal microscope."
    And this might be the stupidest question but what is avi?
    the use of microscopy to observe and investigate different types of cell and cell structure in a range of eukaryotic organisms.. Oh so it comes under this spec point.

Avatar. Sorry I shortened it. Basically your display pic of simpsons . Idk people call it different stuff.

ReputationRep:
    Free RNA nucleotides base pair with complementary bases exposed on the antisense strand. RNA polymerase catalyses the formation of phosphodiester bonds between the RNA nucleotides

What point would we make? Transcription occurs at the nucleus where mRNA is formed as DNA is too large to leave the nucleus. mRNA leaves through the nuclear pores. DNA helicase breaks the Hydrogen bonds between the bases. The antisense strand acts as the template strand where Uracil replaces thymine and free nucleotides pair with complementary bases.

ReputationRep:
    has everyone learnt everything?
    any last minute tips for memorising something (or the whole textbook in my case??)

thanks

p.s: any help would be greatly appreciated

ReputationRep:
    I'd say get to grips with the experiment side of the spec and the limitations/improvements etc
    (Original post by candyyfloss)
    has everyone learnt everything?
    any last minute tips for memorising something (or the whole textbook in my case??)

thanks

p.s: any help would be greatly appreciated

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by bp_22)
    Free RNA nucleotides base pair with complementary bases exposed on the antisense strand. RNA polymerase catalyses the formation of phosphodiester bonds between the RNA nucleotides
    Thank you! My points were all jumbled.

ReputationRep:
    Ronny was talking about translation so no need to mention DNA helicase or template strands
    I would say that mRNA binds to small subunit of ribosome, where translation occurs. tRNA has complimentary anticodon to mRNA and brings the corresponding amino acids. Peptidyl transferase catalyses formation of peptide bonds and then the polypeptide chain is transported to the Golgi apparatus for further processing and then is released.

What you mentioned is transcription, and I would mention the same exact bits that you mentioned for that

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by bp_22)
    I'd say get to grips with the experiment side of the spec and the limitations/improvements etc
    Hmm what is there? There's the preparation of slides for light microscopy. Colormiter.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by bp_22)
    well that would be great but i dont know any of the content.... hahah

is there a shortcut to learning like atleast 50% of the spec

ReputationRep:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2zAGAmTkZNY

Try this link for protein synthesis

ReputationRep:
    Hmm what is there? There's the preparation of slides for light microscopy. Colormiter.
    practically all the context has an experiment side to it
    like the enzyme practicals for example
    or spirometer and pototomer

ReputationRep:
    Ronny was talking about translation so no need to mention DNA helicase or template strands
    I would say that mRNA binds to small subunit of ribosome, where translation occurs. tRNA has complimentary anticodon to mRNA and brings the corresponding amino acids. Peptidyl transferase catalyses formation of peptide bonds and then the polypeptide chain is transported to the Golgi apparatus for further processing and then is released.

What you mentioned is transcription, and I would mention the same exact bits that you mentioned for that
    Ahh okay never knew that was the enzyme! Thanks once again!!

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: June 27, 2017
Poll
Cats or dogs?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.