Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Geography Kid)
    Thank you very much! I emailed them and they said to wait and see until I know where I'm going. Thanks for your help. x
    Good luck with it!
    I'd be fairly confident that they could definitely you a deferral for Central Departments. Generally, they've spent a fair bit of money deciding that you're suitable for Fast Stream, so are keen to hold on to you, even if you can't start right away.
    I hope to HoP goes well too. I have absolutely no knowledge of this, because I didn;'t apply for it, but I'd imagine the same kind of thing applies.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Reema)
    Hi hanabie - I had exactly the same as you I think. Amber for CD and HoP, outright fail for FCO. HoP doesn't mean anything as they haven't set pass/fail marks yet I don't think. I hope that's why I don't have anything to do with departmental assignment etc :P . I've been waiting since 16th February, and am really nearing the end of my tether! But the closer late April comes, the slower the move towards then becomes for me, so I sympathise with you . But it will be so very worth it if we come up trumps. Even if we don't - well, hey, no more waiting plus feedback which is always useful?! The next two weeks are going to be nailbiting for me as I am waiting to hear on NGDP as well ( ambered for that too...).

Judging by the feedback reports out so far, it appears that they are probably keeping people below, say, 16.8-17 waiting? They must have set a cut off mark for unsuccessful DSers quite early in any case.
    yup, we're pretty much in the same boat! (tho i didn't put HoP down). it'd be interesting to know what the immed unsuccessful mark is at the moment and how narrow the amber band is- altho i guess it's all just guesswork so probably not much help other than something to preoccupy us while we wait! good luck with your NGDP :-)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by JamieinLondon)
    Waiting two months on Friday... Trust me, I understand your pain
    ouch- i think you should get in for your patience skills alone!

ReputationRep:
    I can't believe I've only been waiting for seven weeks - it feels like 700 million years.

ReputationRep:
    Not the first to say this, but longtime lurker; first time poster.

This, and last year's thread are really great resources for anyone going throught the process. Big thankyou to those who have commented helpfully and consistenly!

Sometimes reading them made me more nervous, than I would have been naturally: Ignorance can be bliss to!

Anyway, I'm Amber for DS & HoP, but followed the advice here and sent them email about CD, got the reply that I was succesfull and will 'fall through' to CD if I don't get an interview for DS or HoP. I'm not sure I like the idea of 'falling thorough' (bit ominous), but I'm happy to know that I can work central departments somewhere.

Got two questions though, presumably because the intake is much smaller HoP might have a higher pass mark than DS this year? Initially I had pretty much discounted HoP, but after reading the booklet, I've become a lot more interested in it ( I know should have it before hand, doh).

Seeing as I'm amber for DS however, based on this assumption, I'm hypothesising that it wouldn't be worth withdrawing from DS, where its still possible that I might go to the next interview stage. Because I probably don't have a chance at HoP with a score from this year that wasn't an immediate pass on DS? (I'm saying this because I remember something on the website which said, if you reallly want HOP, then put it as your first choice, not second).

Eh, that probably an un-answereable question isn't it; but I'll take opinions rather than facts on this one.

ReputationRep:
    IIRC the HoP doesn't use the absolute score to decide who to take through to the next stage, I guess that they have different priorities that 'may' even allow someone to go through to the HoP selection board, but perhaps not for central departments.

Someone obviously correct me if I'm wrong on this...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by munchbunch313)

This, and last year's thread are really great resources for anyone going throught the process. Big thankyou to those who have commented helpfully and consistenly!

Sometimes reading them made me more nervous, than I would have been naturally: Ignorance can be bliss to!

Anyway, I'm Amber for DS & HoP, but followed the advice here and sent them email about CD, got the reply that I was succesfull and will 'fall through' to CD if I don't get an interview for DS or HoP. I'm not sure I like the idea of 'falling thorough' (bit ominous), but I'm happy to know that I can work central departments somewhere.

Got two questions though, presumably because the intake is much smaller HoP might have a higher pass mark than DS this year? Initially I had pretty much discounted HoP, but after reading the booklet, I've become a lot more interested in it ( I know should have it before hand, doh).

Seeing as I'm amber for DS however, based on this assumption, I'm hypothesising that it wouldn't be worth withdrawing from DS, where its still possible that I might go to the next interview stage. Because I probably don't have a chance at HoP with a score from this year that wasn't an immediate pass on DS? (I'm saying this because I remember something on the website which said, if you reallly want HOP, then put it as your first choice, not second).

Eh, that probably an un-answereable question isn't it; but I'll take opinions rather than facts on this one.

It’s hard to tell what score would get you a HoP interview given that relatively few people apply to it and therefore not many posts make it up here. What is probably certain though is that HoP probably has to be your first choice to be in with a chance. I am assuming its number 2 at the moment. So you could risk pulling out of DS leaving HoP 1st choice and CD (guaranteed back up).

This all depends on how much you want DS…

ReputationRep:

Firstly, congrats on getting through!

I was in a similar position but the other way around. I was amber for HoP but really wanted to make DS my first choice. Whenever I asked advice I was told they really are separate things and it depends on the intake each year, but I ended up ignoring that advice, mainly because HoP didn't really appeal after the open day and partly because I anticipated HoP being harder to get through than DS anyway.

My advice would be to decide what your actual order of preference is and run with it - it sounds like you might want to send them a message to move your first choice to HoP, second choice to DS and third choice to central? - There's no harm asking if that is still possible, and if its what you really want to do, then there's no reason not to.

Best of luck!

ReputationRep:

When I went to the HoP open day they basically said that if you got through the FSAC and applied to HoP then you're gonna get an interview. You're very unlikely not to unless your scores are very low.

They don't have many people, think of people who get through about 30 apply for HoP and of those some withdraw on being successful at CD or like me just decide not to do it after being to an open day

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Stomm)
    IIRC the HoP doesn't use the absolute score to decide who to take through to the next stage, I guess that they have different priorities that 'may' even allow someone to go through to the HoP selection board, but perhaps not for central departments.

Someone obviously correct me if I'm wrong on this...
    I've heard some people say that they use the score differently than DS, but I'd be really surprised if people could get through to HoP but not central departments?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Bil1347)
    It’s hard to tell what score would get you a HoP interview given that relatively few people apply to it and therefore not many posts make it up here. What is probably certain though is that HoP probably has to be your first choice to be in with a chance. I am assuming its number 2 at the moment. So you could risk pulling out of DS leaving HoP 1st choice and CD (guaranteed back up).

This all depends on how much you want DS…
    What if you were out of the running for DS a long time ago? I immediately failed DS, so my scheme progress reverted to HoP. Would I still be in with a shot, or would HoP have had to be my first choice right at the start? I'll be happy to just get a place with Central Departments right now but I left the HoP there assuming I probably wouldn't get to interview stage - but there is still the possibility I could? Interesting...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Reema)
    What if you were out of the running for DS a long time ago? I immediately failed DS, so my scheme progress reverted to HoP. Would I still be in with a shot, or would HoP have had to be my first choice right at the start? I'll be happy to just get a place with Central Departments right now but I left the HoP there assuming I probably wouldn't get to interview stage - but there is still the possibility I could? Interesting...
    I suppose anything is possible so long as you haven’t received failure notification!

There are probably a number of factors at play here including how many people have applied as 1st choice HoP and passed the FSAC and of these, what the best scores are.

I reckon they want to interview as many people as possible to get the best pick so they may consider 2nd choices but there is ambiguity here as you are still able to put HoP as 2nd/3rd choice yet it has been stressed previously that it should be 1st choice. On the other hand, DS is more clear cut—1st choice or nothing…

Have you passed for CD (if that’s a choice?) I guess all you can do is wait and see!

ReputationRep:
    Hi - thanks for your answer. Nope, I am amber for both HoP and CD. I supposed being amber for the former was more just because they hadn't set the immediately pass/fail marks for HoP. I am finding the wait absolutely agonising now, and there's still 2 weeks to go. Blimey, it will have been 2 months and a half. Longest wait after a job interview ever, for me!

ReputationRep:
    Right, positive mental attitude...

It's so close - it really, really is...

This week is almost over and after that there's only one more week to go and we'll know... It's that easy...

In spite of the fact that I'm in work until 10:00 tonight I'd like to invite everyone, regardless of whether they're still waiting or not, to have a drink sometime between 10 and 12 tonight as a sort of thread solidarity thing...

Seems like as good an excuse as any

Go Us!!!

ReputationRep:
    I'm another lurker coming out of the woodwork. Thanks also to everyone for their posts, it's been very useful. I'm another who is amber band all the way and agree, these last two weeks are going to be tough. Trying to convince myself I haven't got through now so it won't be too disappointing if I haven't, but fingers crossed for everyone!

Just a quick question, I did my assessment centre in January and I still haven't had my feedback, I was wondering if this is the case with anyone else, or if you maybe don't get the feedback until you hear either way? Either that or I'm just being a muppet and can't find the right button on the page - but I'm not generally that bad....

ReputationRep:
    You're not a muppet, mate, it's just not there to see. You get nothing while you're in amber.
    Sittin' here in limbo, waitin' for the dice to roll...:cool:

ReputationRep:
    I had my FSAC on 28 January and don't have my feedback report either. I am "awaiting results" for HoP but have been told I have passed CD. Am just desperate to know now either way! (as is everyone else...!)

ReputationRep:
    2 months today since FSAC. no news at all. losing the will to live.............

ReputationRep:
    Well I found out I made it past the NGDP assessment centre today, a bit of a morale booster! The next stage is a best fit interview where they try and match you up with a local authority. I just want to say a huge thank you to everyone on this thread for their support, especially Prince Rhyus who drew my attention to the NGDP scheme.

ReputationRep:
    That's fantastic news! Are you going to drop out of fast stream now or is that still ultimately what you'd prefer to do?

I found out today that my papers have been sent to a department (not identified of course!) and it now it just depends if they like me or not. Not sure how certain it is that they accept people at this stage so fingers crossed they like me!

Poll
Black Friday: Yay or Nay?
Useful resources

Featured recruiter profiles:

HM Treasury logo

Policy adviser grad scheme

"Shape the UK’s future and your skills."

Quick link:

Unanswered public sector threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.