The Student Room Group

The Italian Football Thread

Scroll to see replies

Hernanes joins Juventus with Inter bringing in Felipe Melo and Alex Telles.

Nathanial Chalobah joins Napoli on loan

Kuba joins Fiorentina, also on loan.

Giacherinni returns to Italy on loan with Bologna

Andreolli leaves Inter to join Sevilla.
Felt for Capri the other night. They really ran them close. I have a feeling they'll do a Derby in 07-08, and manage the lowest Serie A points tally ever (without points deductions, of course).

Juventus are reaping the rewards for not replacing talent, though. They were stagnant at the Stadio Olimpico, and Roma ran riot.
Original post by Mackay
Felt for Capri the other night. They really ran them close. I have a feeling they'll do a Derby in 07-08, and manage the lowest Serie A points tally ever (without points deductions, of course).

Juventus are reaping the rewards for not replacing talent, though. They were stagnant at the Stadio Olimpico, and Roma ran riot.

Juve were shockingly bad, doesn'y help that Pogba doesn't look to be dealing with the pressure of having to replace both Vidal and Pirlo at the moment.
Original post by mojojojo101
Juve were shockingly bad, doesn'y help that Pogba doesn't look to be dealing with the pressure of having to replace both Vidal and Pirlo at the moment.

They were awful. They've been awful since the first whistle on the first day.

Great free kick from Pjanic. I know it's it too early as Juve can definitely improve but if Roma keep playing like this through the long run, they have every chance of winning the Scuddetto.

Juve are going to miss Tevez every bit as much as Vidal. Juve have themselves to blame. Knowing Tevez and Pirlo were getting up there in age and destined to leave this year or the next (as it happened, this year), they really should have bulked up.

Pogba is good but not enough on his own. No player is. Take the £70m, Juve!
Original post by Mackay
They were awful. They've been awful since the first whistle on the first day.

Great free kick from Pjanic. I know it's it too early as Juve can definitely improve but if Roma keep playing like this through the long run, they have every chance of winning the Scuddetto.

Juve are going to miss Tevez every bit as much as Vidal. Juve have themselves to blame. Knowing Tevez and Pirlo were getting up there in age and destined to leave this year or the next (as it happened, this year), they really should have bulked up.

Pogba is good but not enough on his own. No player is. Take the £70m, Juve!

Roma will do well this season, just depends how they respond when something goes wrong, which it will.

I don't think the loss of Tevez is as big as Pirlo / Vidal, they have a strike-force of Dybala, Mandzukic, Morata, Zaza and Cuadrado, that should get them plenty of goals. In midfield though Padoin is clearly not good enough, Pereyra is not even close to Vidal, yet. Hernanes is a good acquisition as is Alex Sandro (which means Asamoah will likely move in field).

Either way going to be interesting to watch them fail massively or dominate yet again (I get that impression from all the big Italian teams :biggrin:)
Roma will do well this season, just depends how they respond when something goes wrong, which it will.

I don't think the loss of Tevez is as big as Pirlo / Vidal, they have a strike-force of Dybala, Mandzukic, Morata, Zaza and Cuadrado, that should get them plenty of goals. In midfield though Padoin is clearly not good enough, Pereyra is not even close to Vidal, yet. Hernanes is a good acquisition as is Alex Sandro (which means Asamoah will likely move in field).

Either way going to be interesting to watch them fail massively or dominate yet again (I get that impression from all the big Italian teams :biggrin:)

Serie A certainly seems to be more competitive than recent years, despite us only being in week two. That can only be a good thing.
Original post by Mackay
Serie A certainly seems to be more competitive than recent years, despite us only being in week two. That can only be a good thing.

Seems like a big year for Serie A for me. If Juventus can work out their ****, if the Milan clubs transfers' work out, if Sarri does well at Napoli, If Lazio can maintain their form from last season, if Roma improve, if Fiorentina do well and some of the mid-table sides do okay then it cpuld be a great year.

If not, then it could be a bit of a festival of incompetence.
Seems like a big year for Serie A for me.

It is. Especially with the coefficient.
Bump.

Really weird to see the Stadio Olimpico half full for this weekend's Rome derby. Great win by Roma, though, who bagged the three points through Dzeko's penalty and Gervinho.

Both sets of ultras missed the game in protest of new safety measures imposed at the stadium - and it definitely affected the atmosphere and passion displayed on the pitch from what I could see.
^Really good to see a change at the top of Serie A, Inter leading the way but very early days yet. If Mancini was able to pull this title off with this Inter team, probably rank as his best one to other two (or three?) Serie A's he won post the 2006 Juventus match fixing scandal when he was able to buy Vieira/Ibrahimovic from them.
forza inter
Original post by Aky786UK
^Really good to see a change at the top of Serie A, Inter leading the way but very early days yet. If Mancini was able to pull this title off with this Inter team, probably rank as his best one to other two (or three?) Serie A's he won post the 2006 Juventus match fixing scandal when he was able to buy Vieira/Ibrahimovic from them.

They lack creativity and flair, though. I'd be amazed if they went all the way.

Torino were massively unlucky this weekend. I saw the highlights and Inter rode their luck time and time again. I can't believe the amount of saves Handanovic had to make.

It was just one of many games this weekend where the better side failed to win (Chelsea, Arsenal, Man City etc.)
Looks like this thread died..

Juventus with 8 wins in a row (picking up 27 points from a possible 30 in their last 10).

3 or 4 points off the top depending on what Inter Milan do with their game in hand.
I really loved this thread when it was active. The German Thread seemed to die as well, and we even had a European Football Thread for other countries outside Italy/Germany/Spain/UK, didn't we?
^Yup.

Inter win tonight, 1-0 to go top. If Mancini was able to pull off a title win with this group of players, surely it'd top his league titles won with Inter in his first spell and City but Juventus seem on a roll to the top.
Did anyone watch yesterday’s game between Genoa and Sampdoria? This is possibly one of my favourite derbies in Italy with a stadium that I love and a great atmosphere to go with it. And it was a really entertaining game of football yesterday.

Today I’ve had a rare day off where I planned to get so much done but instead I’ve done very little due to watching Italian football starting with the Udinese match at 11:30. I didn’t bother with the Juve match as to me there was always going to be one outcome with Juve going into the match having won 7 in a row and Hellas Verona still looking for their first win this season, so I didn’t see Juve having many problems against them. Instead I put on Chievo-Roma which turned out to be a great choice, such a poor performance by Roma having lost the lead twice. They’re on a horrible run with only two wins out of the last eight league games. Didn’t catch much of the 5pm Inter match and I’ve only caught bits of the Napoli game as I’m mainly flicking between the Porto and Sporting games but every time i put it on the game looked pretty decent. It’s unhealthy how much football I’ve watched, especially for a Wednesday!

I like that it’s still quite close between a handful of teams at the top this season, with only Juve looking consistent at the moment too. Inter keep having the occasional slip, although looking at their fixtures they should really win their next three before the Milan derby at the end of the month, but I wouldn't like to put all my money on it.
Reply 1156
Original post by Mackay
I really loved this thread when it was active. The German Thread seemed to die as well, and we even had a European Football Thread for other countries outside Italy/Germany/Spain/UK, didn't we?

Do any British Born people here support teams abroad
What a game at Chievo. 3-3 against Roma, who are reportedly leading the chase for Debuchy. He seems to want away from the Emirates - and who can blame him given his limited game time?

Roma wasted a two-goal lead.
Gosh. I never realised a thread like this would be so lacking in posts.Surprising.

In that case let me add one.

For the last two months or so I've been wondering how come Napolis odds were so very low.The more so after Juve finally got going.

But then I watched much of their game v Torino and,loathe as I am to form opinions on scant evidence,for the purposes of adding to this thread I can only say that I understood.

They really were rather impressive. So much so that I have stopped betting on Juve for the time being and even had a couple of bets on Napoli.

I wonder if they will be taking the EL seriously?

Cheers
Original post by moggis
Gosh. I never realised a thread like this would be so lacking in posts.Surprising.

In that case let me add one.

For the last two months or so I've been wondering how come Napolis odds were so very low.The more so after Juve finally got going.

But then I watched much of their game v Torino and,loathe as I am to form opinions on scant evidence,for the purposes of adding to this thread I can only say that I understood.

They really were rather impressive. So much so that I have stopped betting on Juve for the time being and even had a couple of bets on Napoli.

I wonder if they will be taking the EL seriously?

Cheers

I'd say Napoli will definitely be there or thereabouts in the EL. Of course, given the addition of the CL teams now, it's always a hard competition to predict.

I'd actually say that Napoli and Dortmund were the clear favourites, though. Sure, the likes of Man Utd and Liverpool and Tottenham could surprise - I think the latter will certainly have enough to knockout Fiorentina, unlike last year - but you can't really look past Sarri and Tuchel's sides.

Long way to go yet, though.

Quick Reply

Latest