Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

Singapore Kopitiam watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    Hey guys, what do you think of Royal Holloway?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by verse)
    i'll be going in 09 (if i'm going at all) haha.

where you headed?
    look at my sig

ReputationRep:
    Lucky you.
    I think the scenery at cambridge jesus college is nice

ReputationRep:
    and that's the reason I chose it over berkeley/carnegie mellon/nus ^_^ Google Earth ROX~

ReputationRep:
    Hi,
    I'm ang moh in Singapore doing internship but in September I go in the UK (Huddersfield) to study. I really don't wanna leave Singapura... I will miss it so much... Is there any students from Singapore which are going to Hudd? It would be nice... So we could have some kopi and nasi goreng together lah!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by delta950)
    Hi,
    I'm ang moh in Singapore doing internship but in September I go in the UK (Huddersfield) to study. I really don't wanna leave Singapura... I will miss it so much... Is there any students from Singapore which are going to Hudd? It would be nice... So we could have some kopi and nasi goreng together lah!
    Hey there! Are you French?

Haha what do you like about Singapore? (besides the food lol) Just curious

ReputationRep:
    Yop I'm French.
    What I like about Singapore (beside the food)... It's not France, it's green, it's clean, it's safe. People are really friendly and always smiling. Girls are really nice, taxi drivers are funny and Singlish is really cool. I love having Tiger Time or makan in a hawker center like the one behind Bugis Street.
    The only thing I don't really like is that I hang around most of the time with ang mohs... More difficult to have Tiger Time with locals...
    Yeah I think what I love the most is the people and the fact that you have a lot of cultures inside one country...
    Ok time to go to bed now.
    Ouann-ann.

ReputationRep:
    I'm Ang Moh too...*I love Singapore a lot, but it has changed so much in the last ten years or so since I arrived. I'll be leaving forever in October which is pretty sad...

What do locals think of internationals and expats? Honestly....!

*why is it Ang Mo Kio MRT? Did the Ang Mohs used to live round there in colonial days?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by LazyLuke)
    I'm Ang Moh too...*I love Singapore a lot, but it has changed so much in the last ten years or so since I arrived. I'll be leaving forever in October which is pretty sad...

*why is it Ang Mo Kio MRT? Did the Ang Mohs used to live round there in colonial days?
    Possibly. The other possible origin of the name comes from the rambutan plantations in the area.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ang_Mo_Kio

And well, a few local tv programs have mentioned this before so it should be quite true. Anyway I live in AMK

ReputationRep:

some of the more cynical of the locals view skilled worker expats with disdain.

"wah those blardy FTs (foreign talents)...come here take our job take our char bo (women) while we get reservist instead!"

where's your homeland luke?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by verse)
    some of the more cynical of the locals view skilled worker expats with disdain.

"wah those blardy FTs (foreign talents)...come here take our job take our char bo (women) while we get reservist instead!"

where's your homeland luke?

haha wow! what an insight into local culture. it's a shame that there isn't much opportunity for expats and locals to mix. why do you think it is? I'm from the UK, just graduated from UWCSEA.

i'd love to hear more opinions of FT's and such, I find it so interesting. I get the impression that some of the more immature and badly behaved expat kids don't make such a good impression for the international league....opinion?

ReputationRep:
    another common grievance is 'jobs for FTs, NS for singaporeans'...but that is probably more of a rant against the ruling party rather than against expats. heh.

haha i guess it depends on what kind of locals you'd wanna mix with. if you're white it'll be easy to hook up with an SPG (Sarong Party Girl). unlike the disgruntled singaporean, the SPG loves caucasian men. HEr motto is, 'white can already'. i also know a few 'SPGs-in-the-making' hahaha...

as for the rest of the population, i'd say that for youths, there should be less of a problem trying to mix with them.

the older population, such as those who view FTs as competition and the older ones who are much mroe traditional and conservative might view caucasians with disdain and distrust. i'd say that it'll be much harder to get to know them. senior citizens might be more xenophobic than the average citizen, especially those who cannot speak english well and who live in the hearlands. unless you're another neil humphreys ahha. speaking of neil, i'd reccomend you to read his books about singapore. he speaks of seeing singapore from an ang moh's point of view.

anyway this problem of integrating with the locals seems to happen everywhere. a common complaint i hear from brit students is that chinese/asian international students at uni are stand offish and tend to just hang out with their own 'kind'.

walking around singapore, i observe that many times, there are designated 'ang moh' pubs where there seem to be 95% ang mohs and 5% locals. if you only hang out in such 'designated' areas, but wish to bond with the locals more, perhaps try more mainstream places?

personally, i beleive that if you're caucasian, it should still be very very easy to make friends with the locals if you're friendly and have no huge personality defects. also, many singaporeans still have conscious or sub-conscious 'white superiority' syndrome in varying degrees...a remnant of our colonial past perhaps. so while you might see singaporeans ****ging off other foreigners en masse, it probably won't happen to you.

ReputationRep:
    Yeah Singapore is one of the best place to live...
    The SPG... You find them all in Attica, right? I don't care, have gf already... I don't like to hang in ang moh bars... But I did not really get to know a local bar with locals... It's not really in the local culture to go have a drink after school for the students like in Europe... I am right?
    There is a lot of locals in MOS or during week end in Dbl O but once again clubs are not the best place to make friends... Music to load to speaks, girls will think that you are only looking to have some fun in bed with her...
    Anyway in my opinon the best way to meet other students from Singapore is to know already someone

ReputationRep:
    Hi everyone:

I'll be moving to SG after graduation from my Australian university to take up a grad role. Will definitely be interested in meeting up with other Singaporeans who post here, and people studying/working there from overseas.

I've been there before for a brief amount of time, and loved it. Finding accommodation will suck though, given the current prices

Cheers!

read the strait times, and you'll see what agenda the government is pushing. they are saying that the "all in the West hate Singapore". Literally. This creates a siege mentality, whereby they start fearing the West, and start hating those from the West.

There are also negative, xenophobic attitudes against foreign workers, as they're "stealing jobs", "littering", "stealing our women".

Of course, this doesn't apply to all Singaporeans, but more to the older and less educated ones.

ReputationRep:
    are you an aussie or a singaporean who went over to study?

ReputationRep:
    was that directed at me?

I've never studied in Singapore. I'm Australian, and have studied in Australia.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by AussieS)
    Hi everyone:

I'll be moving to SG after graduation from my Australian university to take up a grad role. Will definitely be interested in meeting up with other Singaporeans who post here, and people studying/working there from overseas.

I've been there before for a brief amount of time, and loved it. Finding accommodation will suck though, given the current prices

Cheers!

read the strait times, and you'll see what agenda the government is pushing. they are saying that the "all in the West hate Singapore". Literally. This creates a siege mentality, whereby they start fearing the West, and start hating those from the West.

There are also negative, xenophobic attitudes against foreign workers, as they're "stealing jobs", "littering", "stealing our women".

Of course, this doesn't apply to all Singaporeans, but more to the older and less educated ones.
    you'd be surprised. the younger generation, supposedly more politically aware and less apathetic, contain some of the most "xenophobic" Singaporeans. but it might be unfair to call it xenophobia. but i won't go further into that.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by verse)
    you'd be surprised. the younger generation, supposedly more politically aware and less apathetic, contain some of the most "xenophobic" Singaporeans. but it might be unfair to call it xenophobia. but i won't go further into that.
    well, i guess if you're fed the same lines from the media every day, you start believing it. i'm originally from Russia, so I know what it's like, except racism is worse there (it's violent).

Also, I'm guessing that most of the young people being 'xenophobic', are from lower income households, and get those messages reinforced by parents who are always complaining about workers from oseas stealing jobs, etc.

ReputationRep:
    hmmm if you're talking about the mainstream media it actually isn't too radical because it plays a 'nation-building' role (As defined by the ruling party) alongside its journalistic role.

if you want to see more radical and eye-opening viewpoints, check out internet journalism. the online citizen's not too bad.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by verse)
    hmmm if you're talking about the mainstream media it actually isn't too radical because it plays a 'nation-building' role (As defined by the ruling party) alongside its journalistic role.

if you want to see more radical and eye-opening viewpoints, check out internet journalism. the online citizen's not too bad.
    Even reading through the straits times, it shows an anti-Western bias. again, I refer to the article that said "all of the West hates Singapore".

could you provide any examples of internet journalism in singapore?

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: July 20, 2016
Poll
Do you agree with the proposed ban on plastic straws and cotton buds?
Useful resources
US study forum

Accommodation profiles:

iQ Student Accommodation

iQ Student Accommodation

Great value student rooms in city centre locations all across the UK

X1 Lettings

X1 Lettings

Luxury student accommodation in Liverpool & Manchester.

Collegiate Accommodation

Collegiate Accommodation

"This is student living. Just better."

Scape Student Living

Study Inn

Providing stunning high quality, boutique student accommodation throughout the UK

The Student Housing Company

The Student Housing Company

Award-winning student accommodation - voted by 22,000 students.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.