Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

15 August 2013 A-Level results: Discussion thread - results day is here! Watch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by lilmisssunshine13)
    i'm not just nervous for myself, i'm really nervous for my friends too.

I really want them to get in as well. I don't think I could really feel like celebrating next week if one of them was really upset

anyone else feel like this?
    Yep, it's a real dilemma. If I didn't get in I wouldn't want them to stop celebrating - they'd sure as hell deserve it! - but I worry that I'd be insensitive if it were the other way around.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by usycool1)
    Oh, the other thread's been closed, didn't realise

Don't know if anyone's answered this already, but no, they don't. :no: My college don't use Edexcel resultplus either :mad:
    Ahh what? So I have to go into college for everything! That sucks Feel bad for you too! Obviously our colleges love us so much they want to ensure we go to see them one last time...

ReputationRep:
    What do people think the grade boudaries or f324 and f325 will be like? Higher/lower that jan 2013? So worried!!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by thers)
    Ah yes, that's another worry with biology - what you write may be correct but it may not be on the mark scheme (they change the mark scheme each year for standard questions that reappear to stop students learning them).

To make it worse, my teacher said that the examiners marking the biology scripts don't even have to know anything about biology! Apparently all you need to mark biology papers is to be a teacher of any subject. So whoever is marking your script might have no clue what any of the words mean so sometimes you can't paraphrase from the mark scheme. (on OCR anyway)
    If this is true, its probably due to a shortage of biology teacher examiners. I imagine many biology teachers don't want to spend hours reading through the endless waffle written by students from the large number of 'suggest' questions that feature in OCR bio exams.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ChemistryChic)
    Track is going to crash isn't it?

Ah well, when I don't get in I can use the £400 I've saved for my Halls deposit to get royally pissed on Thursday! :beer::cheers:
    drinks on you then! hehe

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jonny7bell)
    Yeah, I have defiantly got an A in maths, 99% sure, maybe an A*. Further maths I am not really sure, and physics I really have no idea haha. It is all kind of resting on an A in further maths anyway. Shame I had to do 11 A level exams and 2 STEP papers, revising was a nightmare.
    Very nice too, I wish I was sitting with the idea of those results. Ouch that sounds extremely sucky, I had 4 exams this June with a Physics 4 re-sit.

I'm 100% certain on my A in ICT because it had elements of coursework, whether they give me the cheeky star or not, we'll have to see! I'm hoping for an A in maths I needed 69UMS but the minds on over-thinking so we'll see! Physics will be a B tops, I found it tough!

You're a brave soul doing STEP they scared me just by looking at one sample question ahaha! Good luck and all

ReputationRep:
    Home stretch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by lilmisssunshine13)
    i'm not just nervous for myself, i'm really nervous for my friends too.

I really want them to get in as well. I don't think I could really feel like celebrating next week if one of them was really upset

anyone else feel like this?
    Yeeeaa - Nope.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by emah123)
    What do people think the grade boudaries or f324 and f325 will be like? Higher/lower that jan 2013? So worried!!
    Only did f324. They should definitely be lower than in jan due to the last question. Probably 48/60 for an A I think.

ReputationRep:
    Sigh. I really wish I'd noticed earlier on in my maths exam that there was a 10 mark question that I'd missed because I didn't check to see if the pages were stuck together.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by thers)
    Ah yes, that's another worry with biology - what you write may be correct but it may not be on the mark scheme (they change the mark scheme each year for standard questions that reappear to stop students learning them).

To make it worse, my teacher said that the examiners marking the biology scripts don't even have to know anything about biology! Apparently all you need to mark biology papers is to be a teacher of any subject. So whoever is marking your script might have no clue what any of the words mean so sometimes you can't paraphrase from the mark scheme. (on OCR anyway)
    I think, from what I've been told, at GCSE you only have to be a qualified teacher to mark, at A Level they definitely teach the subject. It would be very poor if they didn't!!
    • Study Helper

ReputationRep:
    Study Helper
    (Original post by thers)
    Only did f324. They should definitely be lower than in jan due to the last question. Probably 48/60 for an A I think.
    Would you say it was an easy exam?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by iamthestig)
    Ouch.

I did RS in one year, didn't even know what the essays were supposed to be like and only learnt half the course
    I did RS over two years and still only learnt half the course...which made the exam a bit of a lottery :sigh:

It's not even the exam result I'm most worried about at the moment, oh dear....

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by LaetitiaAaronK)
    oh my. I can related my parents are also very strict. I feel like they expect me to do well and I am nervous of not delivering. the pressure is overpowering.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    I know, big families too, the amount of phone calls I get expecting me to do well!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MathsNerd1)
    Would you say it was an easy exam?
    It was a fair paper - very similar in difficulty to Jan 12 I thought. It was 49/60 for an A in that one. I think the boundary may be lower than that due to the last large question - I think many students will get the correct structure but won't justify their answer sufficiently and will lose a lot of marks. I think that the mark scheme will be quite strict on that question. Then the rest of the paper was comparable to Jan 12 difficulty- some challenging, medium and easy questions. It may be slightly higher though due to grade boundaries increasing over time because of students having more resources (past papers and mark schemes).

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by thers)
    It was a fair paper - very similar in difficulty to Jan 12 I thought. It was 49/60 for an A in that one. I think the boundary may be lower than that due to the last large question - I think many students will get the correct structure but won't justify their answer sufficiently and will lose a lot of marks. I think that the mark scheme will be quite strict on that question. Then the rest of the paper was comparable to Jan 12 difficulty- some challenging, medium and easy questions. It may be slightly higher though due to grade boundaries increasing over time because of students having more resources (past papers and mark schemes).
    Fingers crossed for lower grade boundaries, I had a really good chance for getting an A* and screwed up that last exam
    • Study Helper

ReputationRep:
    Study Helper
    (Original post by thers)
    That's fair enough then and I just stated the obvious with the last question really, hopefully I don't lose any marks because I got it all right

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Zaphod77)
    Fingers crossed for lower grade boundaries, I had a really good chance for getting an A* and screwed up that last exam
    I hope so. I made far too many stupid mistakes in it due to the exam pressure. Thankfully I don't need an A in f324 to get an A overall.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by thers)
    I hope so. I made far too many stupid mistakes in it due to the exam pressure. Thankfully I don't need an A in f324 to get an A overall.
    It was stupid mistakes that killed my exam. I'm just really nervous about Chemistry...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Fairy_)
    I'll be studying Philosophy, also at the Streatham campus
    Ooh exciting! What accommodation have you applied to?

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you rather give up salt or pepper?
    Help with your A-levels

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Uni match

Uni match

Our tool will help you find the perfect course for you

Study planner

Create a study plan

Get your head around what you need to do and when with the study planner tool.

Study planner

Resources by subject

Everything from mind maps to class notes.

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student doing homework

Study tips from A* students

Students who got top grades in their A-levels share their secrets

Study help links and info

Can you help? Study help unanswered threadsRules and posting guidelines

Sponsored content:

HEAR

HEAR

Find out how a Higher Education Achievement Report can help you prove your achievements.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.