Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

BREAKING: Reports of multiple explosions at Boston Marathon leaving dozens wounded. watch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Savvy Sage)
    Why the death penalty? What will he be convicted for? I have no idea how legal proceedings work in USA.
    Cektop is wrong. It's far from certain he will get the death penalty. See my comment above

ReputationRep:
    well that was exciting. gona have a fag and go bed. god bless

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ape Gone Insane)
    I know they have been doing this for decades but I still think the most extraordinary thing about this is the whole intelligence operation and co-ordination needed to pin-point those guys out of thousands (not even including the sheer mass of images and tips coming in from citizens) and then successfully hunt them down.

I came here to post this

I love how he just walks away like 'nailed it'.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ape Gone Insane)
    I know they have been doing this for decades but I still think the most extraordinary thing about this is the whole intelligence operation and co-ordination needed to pin-point those guys out of thousands (not even including the sheer mass of images and tips coming in from citizens) and then successfully hunt them down.

I like how the gate opens after he jumps over aswell..

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by AlexandrTheGreat)
    Not really. If he's charged under state law, then he will not face the death penalty as there is no state death penalty in Massachussetts.

There is the federal death penalty, and the death penalty in other states. As there are no inherent federal issues in this case, it is likely he will be prosecuted under Massachussetts state law and thus not face the death penalty
    Federal death penalty is available for murder via an explosion, there are currently 3 such murders which were clearly premeditated (which also makes them 1st degree murders and thus federal according to 18 U.S.C. 1111). The captured suspect was the one planting the bomb. Additionally, a case of such magnitude is clearly a federal one as it substantially affected national security.

I can guarantee that he's going to be prosecuted under federal law.

PS the murder of the MIT police officer may also be a federal crime, although I'm unsure if 18 U.S.C. 924 would apply here.

If he is found guilty of terrorism he could also be sentenced to death as it is a federal crime.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by charcharchar)
    I have no sympathy for him whatsoever. He is younger and more impressionable though, and although they haven't revealed a lot about it, it sounds like he was pressurized into it by his brother..

Quick question, why did they take him away in an ambulance?!?
    He was in that giant firefight earlier in which his brother was killed. The owner of the boat noticed blood on or around the boat and managed to look into the boat without being attacked by him it seems. Presumably he was relatively weak and exhausted by that point, even if not seriously injured. He could also have done something to himself upon being surrounded, who knows. Either way the police would be failing in their duty if they were not to get him medical attention.

ReputationRep:
    Cektop is wrong. It's far from certain he will get the death penalty. See my comment above
    In this case it is certain.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ronove)
    He was in that giant firefight earlier in which his brother was killed. The owner of the boat noticed blood on or around the boat and managed to look into the boat without being attacked by him it seems. Presumably he was relatively weak and exhausted by that point, even if not seriously injured. He could also have done something to himself upon being surrounded, who knows. Either way the police would be failing in their duty if they were not to get him medical attention.
    It all seems a bit fishy. Why did he not kill the boat owner who discovered him but have a firefight with the police?
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    (Original post by GodAtum)
    It all seems a bit fishy. Why did he not kill the boat owner who discovered him but have a firefight with the police?
    Probably because he was injured because of said firefight. Personally, I am quite glad that he was caught alive so that the police can find out why he and his brother did it. And if they were brainwashed and trained. Where it was and who provided it and also, who recruited them. Because its quite likely that some extremist **** leader recruited the brothers in America.

ReputationRep:
    Yeah seems a bit dodgy, especially the last firefight surely they would have killed him if he fired a bullet at them, the amount of times they have tried to kill him and surely the americans are trained in shooting and taking out their man

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by s0600128)
    Yeah seems a bit dodgy, especially the last firefight surely they would have killed him if he fired a bullet at them, the amount of times they have tried to kill him and surely the americans are trained in shooting and taking out their man
    Doubt it, they probably wanted him alive.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    I understand they may want him alive but some of it does not add up, after all its America we talking about but its good they have caught him and all this is all over

ReputationRep:
    Look at the 19 years old twitter he doesn't seem radical or extreme, just seems like a normal teen, I wouldnt suspect anyone like him to carry out an attack like this.
    • Study Helper

ReputationRep:
    Study Helper
    (Original post by G8D)
    did he died?

Update me.
    Boston PD give an alert during the press conference that they're lifting the "stay inside" order, but that the suspect is still on the loose and residents have to make sure that they stay safe and be vigilant. One resident, who's been in his home all day ventures outside into his backyard. He sees blood on his boat, and the tarp's ripped, so he sneaks over and peaks under the carp and sees a body covered in blood - he thinks it's dead, before it moves. He rushes inside and calls 911, and police absolutely rush the area.

Police move towards the boat, and fire is exchanged, so the police back off. Police, EMS, SWAT, FBI, ATF, HRT, choppers and a bomb dog moves in. They spend the next 2 hours moving in on the boat; not sure if he has a suicide vest, or explosives, or anything that causes fire that might blow up fuel that's on the boat. They want to get him alive and not take any more casualties. Entering 1 hr 50, they move in, extract the suspect from the boat, search him for explosives and weapons, then send him away in an ambulance as he's wounded from the original shootout. He'll be being treated for his wounds as we speak. Cops confirm that it is Dzhokhar.

(Original post by s0600128)
    One was killed, and the other severely injured. Not bad for cops who don't want to kill, are having automatic weapons fired at them, and grenades and other explosives thrown at them.

ReputationRep:
    I'm guessing you've all heard the theory that it was set up by the government, as swat teams were seen on the day with same backpacks

Facebook have blocked the swat team conspiracy from being posted. Facebook is owned by the CIA. Definitely something fishy

Opinions

Posted from TSR iPad

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by anonymouse01)
    I'm guessing you've all heard the theory that it was set up by the government, as swat teams were seen on the day with same backpacks

Facebook have blocked the swat team conspiracy from being posted. Facebook is owned by the CIA. Definitely something fishy

Opinions

Posted from TSR iPad
    Name:  133251362419.jpg
Views: 72
Size:  32.7 KB

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by anonymouse01)

Opinions

Posted from TSR iPad
    Usual paranoid 'fools' being fed information from the like of Alex Jones without questioning it. Why is it unusual for swat to have back packs? I'm pretty sure Jones said it was private contractors anyway.

There is no conspiracy.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by CEKTOP)
    Federal death penalty is available for murder via an explosion, there are currently 3 such murders which were clearly premeditated (which also makes them 1st degree murders and thus federal according to 18 U.S.C. 1111). The captured suspect was the one planting the bomb. Additionally, a case of such magnitude is clearly a federal one as it substantially affected national security.
    I don't mean to be dismissive, but you have a lot to learn about American law.

Federal criminal law is only engaged where the crime occurs on federal government land (like the Oklahoma City Federal Building), or involves a federal official or a member of the military.

You mentioned "substantially affects national security"; I note you read the front page of the American murder wiki page. There's no reason to believe that this does engage the national security interest, this crime spree didn't cross state lines, it occurred all within the borders of one state. You should read up on the federal criminal caselaw.

Now I know you want him to get the death penalty, but your wants and what the law is are two separate things. In short, you were and are wrong. It's far from guaranteed he'll get the death penalty. In fact, I'm happy to offer you odds that he'll be charged under federal law (if you want to put your money where your mouth is)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by CEKTOP)
    In this case it is certain.
    See my comment above. Your understanding of American law is demonstrably superficial (and clearly wiki-ed).

I'm happy to offer odds if you want to put your money where your mouth is (say 3:1 to make it attractive. If it's guaranteed like you believe, then you have nothing to lose and 300% profits to gain)

Edit: I hasten to add, the proceeds would be donated to an anti-death penalty charity

ReputationRep:
    You mentioned "substantially affects national security"; I note you read the front page of the American murder wiki page. There's no reason to believe that this does engage the national security interest, this crime spree didn't cross state lines, it occurred all within the borders of one state. You should read up on the federal criminal caselaw.
    I agree with all your points, though we should point out there are hints of suspicion that these guys might not have done what they did without external backing. I'm saying that's definitively the case as we don't know, but if it were true that might become more of an issue of national security.

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: April 22, 2013
Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.