Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by paddy__power)
    What would you say your party's 5 main policy priorities are?
    For me: child poverty, education, Wales (!), devolution, and social services in their broad sense.
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    PS Reviewer
    (Original post by Adorno)
    For me: child poverty, education, Wales (!), devolution, and social services in their broad sense.
    I honestly think I could of guessed those but may have guessed healthcare rather than child poverty.

Do labour have any bills coming up?

Who are your MPs atm?
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    PS Reviewer
    (Original post by robinson999)
    let me guess, we cover and talk about alot
    healthcare, the NHS is very important to me, education, fairness :p: think of what you may, social care
    Fairness :p:

Bit of a non-answer there mate

ReputationRep:
    Fairness :p:

Bit of a non-answer there mate
    yeah just a bit, i noticed that when i posted it, but couldn't be asked to change it, when you say fairness, making sure everyone has access to good healthcare that is free to the point of use, ok you need to pay for eye tests, dental care, prescriptions and other thinks, the most you will ever pay for dental care is about £200, and i do believe something that annoying in my view about prescriptions is people do abuse them, with the likes of paracetamol what 20p in a shop, but there are those who go no i don't pay for prescriptions its my right to get them on that, ok if you really need it in some cases but most know they don't have to pay so won't, the nhs is there to be use when needed not to be abused, like people do

social services is important to the welfare of people old young, ill what ever we all need and use a part of it

making education more fair, is it fair by the luck of birth that an average student born into a well off family or one that can afford to buy the house near the great school or sent their child to private school, while a very smart child from a poor family can be sent to a failing comprehensive school, i came from one of them schools ok it got me into a good uni, but i see people who i left school who fall into the same traps, have children getting married young, dead end job, sitting about doing nothing as they have no qualifications, these too much pressure on school to get the top marks be top of the league table, could be the fault of labour, as much as it is of the way we live. i would love education to get massive funding and teachers to really be paid their worth, some of them are un sung hero's for what they do and have to deal with (like any workers at the bottom, i've seen people treat dustbin men like rubbish but we need them with them the same people will moan thats there too much rubbish)

these council cuts we are seeing in my area what are they doing trying to get everyone over 55 to take early retirement fair enough but they are losing people with the knowledge of how to do the work, not a case of than sacking younger worker who need to learn so we have people able to do these jobs, all while the bosses make sure they are ok :p:

as with taxes and all that, i understand you cann't push for a 98% tax rate any more, but people need to pay their share if you earning over £150,000 the 50% is needed to help, you can live with what you are left with, people have just become to much about greed and i want every thing for what myself, which make camerons big society funny

what i said about education could be view of well bring back the 11+ for all than pick schools on that, i am against that, every student is different and there is no way some one should be written off at age 10 11, we learn at different rates and well every student should be made both to do both routes of learning from books and hands on to see what you are best at, poor schools in poor areas is a hard thing as it is built in the area oh education not cool i want to go down the park and drink white lighting, for those the education system has failed them, people who like that at my school are know learning trades hands on work case of they was never meant for book learning, still there are numbers who do nothing

how confusing is that to read, and i wait to be ripped over by people :p:
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    PS Reviewer
    yeah just a bit, i noticed that when i posted it, but couldn't be asked to change it, when you say fairness, making sure everyone has access to good healthcare that is free to the point of use, ok you need to pay for eye tests, dental care, prescriptions and other thinks, the most you will ever pay for dental care is about £200, and i do believe something that annoying in my view about prescriptions is people do abuse them, with the likes of paracetamol what 20p in a shop, but there are those who go no i don't pay for prescriptions its my right to get them on that, ok if you really need it in some cases but most know they don't have to pay so won't, the nhs is there to be use when needed not to be abused, like people do
    The more access you grant to something though the more chance there is for it to be abused. I can make my peace with some abuse if we get a functioning NHS, although I do think a lot could be done to make it more efficient.

social services is important to the welfare of people old young, ill what ever we all need and use a part of it
    Social services are hugely important in fostering the kind of society I want - but again I'm underwhelmed by a lot of it.

making education more fair, is it fair by the luck of birth that an average student born into a well off family or one that can afford to buy the house near the great school or sent their child to private school, while a very smart child from a poor family can be sent to a failing comprehensive school, i came from one of them schools ok it got me into a good uni, but i see people who i left school who fall into the same traps, have children getting married young, dead end job, sitting about doing nothing as they have no qualifications, these too much pressure on school to get the top marks be top of the league table, could be the fault of labour, as much as it is of the way we live. i would love education to get massive funding and teachers to really be paid their worth, some of them are un sung hero's for what they do and have to deal with (like any workers at the bottom, i've seen people treat dustbin men like rubbish but we need them with them the same people will moan thats there too much rubbish)
    I agree with you here about raising teachers pay - indeed it's one of the things I've stated in the government subforum as something I may like to do, especially for exceptional ones. There was a panorama report recently that seemed to vilify top performing head teachers for earning more than the PM, I found it a little misplaced to attack any teacher for earning 150k when this is nothing compared to Quango bosses [which they did attack as well, but the two are not comparable IMO].

these council cuts we are seeing in my area what are they doing trying to get everyone over 55 to take early retirement fair enough but they are losing people with the knowledge of how to do the work, not a case of than sacking younger worker who need to learn so we have people able to do these jobs, all while the bosses make sure they are ok :p:
    Well of course, but everyone has personal motivations to balance.

as with taxes and all that, i understand you cann't push for a 98% tax rate any more, but people need to pay their share if you earning over £150,000 the 50% is needed to help, you can live with what you are left with, people have just become to much about greed and i want every thing for what myself, which make camerons big society funny
    I agree completely but wouldn't ever take it above 50% I don't think.

what i said about education could be view of well bring back the 11+ for all than pick schools on that, i am against that, every student is different and there is no way some one should be written off at age 10 11, we learn at different rates and well every student should be made both to do both routes of learning from books and hands on to see what you are best at, poor schools in poor areas is a hard thing as it is built in the area oh education not cool i want to go down the park and drink white lighting, for those the education system has failed them, people who like that at my school are know learning trades hands on work case of they was never meant for book learning, still there are numbers who do nothing
    I spent several of my early teenage years down the park most days drinking white lightning [and it's variants], special brews etc. Whether I'm meant for book learning or not is a seperate question - probably not as I've not done any in years, but that's a choice not a path I've been coerced into.

The salient points pertain to equality of opportunity which I don't think is incompatible with Grammar schools but I do think the methods used to determine who should go to them need to be improved as I know some incredibly stupid people at Grammars. I've always been interested in the idea of there being one or two grammars only in each area and making entry more difficult so only the brightest get in but this is predicated on finding a good way of determining this - which isbeyond me currently.

how confusing is that to read, and i wait to be ripped over by people :p:
    Na it was fine :p:

ReputationRep:
    The more access you grant to something though the more chance there is for it to be abused. I can make my peace with some abuse if we get a functioning NHS, although I do think a lot could be done to make it more efficient.
    the way the nhs is ran is not a prefect system making more efficient is a good goal to aim for, we want the best health care in the world, while paying very little in tax :p:

Social services are hugely important in fostering the kind of society I want - but again I'm underwhelmed by a lot of it.

I agree with you here about raising teachers pay - indeed it's one of the things I've stated in the government subforum as something I may like to do, especially for exceptional ones. There was a panorama report recently that seemed to vilify top performing head teachers for earning more than the PM, I found it a little misplaced to attack any teacher for earning 150k when this is nothing compared to Quango bosses [which they did attack as well, but the two are not comparable IMO].Well of course, but everyone has personal motivations to balance.
    this attacks on public workers earning more than the PM i feel are just becoming cheap shots to take, it could like quango bosses are over paid or the PM is underpaid, a headteacher who turns a failing school into a great school should be rewarded with more money

I agree completely but wouldn't ever take it above 50% I don't think.
    i have posted before about super rate, nothing more than a extra 1 or 2% on earning over £250,000 or even £500,000

I spent several of my early teenage years down the park most days drinking white lightning [and it's variants], special brews etc. Whether I'm meant for book learning or not is a seperate question - probably not as I've not done any in years, but that's a choice not a path I've been coerced into.
    i'll put may hands up that was a bad example to use most people have done the drinking white lightning down the park, one of the reason why i can't drink cider no more

The salient points pertain to equality of opportunity which I don't think is incompatible with Grammar schools but I do think the methods used to determine who should go to them need to be improved as I know some incredibly stupid people at Grammars. I've always been interested in the idea of there being one or two grammars only in each area and making entry more difficult so only the brightest get in but this is predicated on finding a good way of determining this - which isbeyond me currently.
    we don't even have a grammer school in my area, the nearest one is a bit of a distance, all the schools in this LEA are Comprehensive apart from the one Catholic school which is the best in the Borough, and that the headteacher that started the cash for Peerages scandal
    my only real contract with a grammer school was my old housemate who said he went to really bad grammer school and the other who was in private school, one of the few for "east london"

Na it was fine :p:
    thats good :p:
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    PS Reviewer
    the way the nhs is ran is not a prefect system making more efficient is a good goal to aim for, we want the best health care in the world, while paying very little in tax :p:
    When I'm older I will be happy to pay my taxes and in turn will be comfortable to make use of what I'm paying for. I think tax is only justified by outcomes - in order for a supertax etc you advocate later on to be considered it has to be seen to have a positive marginal use. The NHS is brilliant and fair play to Bevan, Haywood Smith et al but I think, as you say, there is now a lot that can be done to improve it's cost effectiveness - savings which can and should be out into extending the reach of the NHS and similar services.

this attacks on public workers earning more than the PM i feel are just becoming cheap shots to take, it could like quango bosses are over paid or the PM is underpaid, a headteacher who turns a failing school into a great school should be rewarded with more money
    If anything I think top teachers, top police bosses etc should be paid a great deal more. Their net worth far exceeds Cameron's and will far exceed which ever brother becomes PM next IMO. I think incentives in teaching to go above and beyond are a good idea as of course more needs to be done to recruit better teachers. I had an English teacher that had to ask me what several words [not particularly obscure ones] I had used in an essay meant - this is not good.

i have posted before about super rate, nothing more than a extra 1 or 2% on earning over £250,000 or even £500,000
    I'm not sure; I've always been reluctant to support taking more money than the person is getting - thus over 50%. I think when we get to the heights you mention there is certainly more of a case for it though - but of course the Tories won't be happy about that :p:

i'll put may hands up that was a bad example to use most people have done the drinking white lightning down the park, one of the reason why i can't drink cider no more
    Haha neither can I! Well not more than a couple of litres and not fast; but that's what gallons of the stuff does to you. I got the point though, it's about addressing peoples various skills. I do think, on that point, that labour's contrived 50% of people in uni policy was nonsense.

we don't even have a grammer school in my area, the nearest one is a bit of a distance, all the schools in this LEA are Comprehensive apart from the one Catholic school which is the best in the Borough, and that the headteacher that started the cash for Peerages scandal
    my only real contract with a grammer school was my old housemate who said he went to really bad grammer school and the other who was in private school, one of the few for "east london"
    Many areas don't have them. Not sure that there is such thing as a bad Grammar school tbh - bad by GS standards but not broadly bad, at least not academically.

ReputationRep:
    When I'm older I will be happy to pay my taxes and in turn will be comfortable to make use of what I'm paying for. I think tax is only justified by outcomes - in order for a supertax etc you advocate later on to be considered it has to be seen to have a positive marginal use. The NHS is brilliant and fair play to Bevan, Haywood Smith et al but I think, as you say, there is now a lot that can be done to improve it's cost effectiveness - savings which can and should be out into extending the reach of the NHS and similar services
    like anything that is the size of the nhs there is mismanagement, its true that people are ok with paying taxes as long as they know where its going and you have some good outcomes from it

If anything I think top teachers, top police bosses etc should be paid a great deal more. Their net worth far exceeds Cameron's and will far exceed which ever brother becomes PM next IMO. I think incentives in teaching to go above and beyond are a good idea as of course more needs to be done to recruit better teachers. I had an English teacher that had to ask me what several words [not particularly obscure ones] I had used in an essay meant - this is not good.
    the different with being PM you are going to make a hell of a lot of money when you come out of office now, while your in office you won't have to pay for much, i agree i feel then you would need a change in exam system to help that along

I'm not sure; I've always been reluctant to support taking more money than the person is getting - thus over 50%. I think when we get to the heights you mention there is certainly more of a case for it though - but of course the Tories won't be happy about that :p:
    something i thinking with once, it may not bring that much in

Haha neither can I! Well not more than a couple of litres and not fast; but that's what gallons of the stuff does to you. I got the point though, it's about addressing peoples various skills. I do think, on that point, that labour's contrived 50% of people in uni policy was nonsense.
    in a way 50% was a bad call for uni, but for some form of higher education, or training is good, i think this is where schools are putting pressure on children to apply and get into uni as well as it looks good on the school
    Many areas don't have them. Not sure that there is such thing as a bad Grammar school tbh - bad by GS standards but not broadly bad, at least not academically.
    i think it was in terms of that it was a bad grammer school compared to others in the area and near by
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    PS Reviewer
    like anything that is the size of the nhs there is mismanagement, its true that people are ok with paying taxes as long as they know where its going and you have some good outcomes from it
    I think this presupposes that people can look beyond their own front door but luckily enough in this country traditionally many can. People recognise, for the most part, the benefits of relatively high taxation and as such don't mind paying it - but there will be an upper limit and when approached the party wont remain in power for very long.

something i thinking with once, it may not bring that much in
    Every little counts. If it brings in enough to house even a hundred more families or pay for 50 more police officers then I'm happy.

in a way 50% was a bad call for uni, but for some form of higher education, or training is good, i think this is where schools are putting pressure on children to apply and get into uni as well as it looks good on the school
    It's all just misguided figleaf policy tbh. if we include training etc and put it under the umbrella of 'positive outcomes' then we should be aiming for 100% really. It's never going to happen but the closer we can get the better, indeed to my knowledge it was another Bevanist policy to strive for complete emplyment although Adorno may sweep though at some point and tell me I'm wrong XD

i think it was in terms of that it was a bad grammer school compared to others in the area and near by
    Oh ok, well fair enough. It's a bit like aying your model GF is ugly because she isn't Scarlett Johanson :sogood:

ReputationRep:
    I think this presupposes that people can look beyond their own front door but luckily enough in this country traditionally many can. People recognise, for the most part, the benefits of relatively high taxation and as such don't mind paying it - but there will be an upper limit and when approached the party wont remain in power for very long.
    most people can and have the feeling of helping one another, there are people who are built on greed and want more than they need and not care about others, but than that life

Every little counts. If it brings in enough to house even a hundred more families or pay for 50 more police officers then I'm happy.
    it becomes a fine line where taxes get to much they upset people, or they can afford an accountant to pay as little tax as they can, starting to sound right winged now :p:

It's all just misguided figleaf policy tbh. if we include training etc and put it under the umbrella of 'positive outcomes' then we should be aiming for 100% really. It's never going to happen but the closer we can get the better, indeed to my knowledge it was another Bevanist policy to strive for complete emplyment although Adorno may sweep though at some point and tell me I'm wrong XD
    with it now being staying at school till your 18, you hope that people will learn more trades, whats good about the army they make you learn a trade, i'm pretty poor when it come to forms of political history like that

Oh ok, well fair enough. It's a bit like aying your model GF is ugly because she isn't Scarlett Johanson :sogood:
    Scarlett Johanson :coma:
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    PS Reviewer
    most people can and have the feeling of helping one another, there are people who are built on greed and want more than they need and not care about others, but than that life
    I would love to believe that humans are pre-set as being kind but unfortunately i know far too much of this world to be comfortable in such a position.

it becomes a fine line where taxes get to much they upset people, or they can afford an accountant to pay as little tax as they can, starting to sound right winged now :p:
    Not another bloody Conservative :hmmm:

with it now being staying at school till your 18, you hope that people will learn more trades, whats good about the army they make you learn a trade, i'm pretty poor when it come to forms of political history like that
    This is unless they carry on trying to push people into university, and if Ed Mil gets his way we will have a graduate tax as well.

Scarlett Johanson :coma:
    You sir have good taste :p:
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    PS Reviewer
    How do the members feel about the result of the leadership election?

ReputationRep:
    means we can no longer have Prime Minister Balls :emo:

Ed was the one i thought would be better for the labour party in the long run, give him a few years to get used to the job and having to deal with the media and getting under Cameron skin, something that brown was throw into, ok he was Chancellor but its a different game moving to leader of the party and PM

2015 election will be close anyway, depending if lib dem voters move to labour or not

its been a good day we now know who the next PM is :p: and west ham beat spurs
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    PS Reviewer
    means we can no longer have Prime Minister Balls :emo:

Ed was the one i thought would be better for the labour party in the long run, give him a few years to get used to the job and having to deal with the media and getting under Cameron skin, something that brown was throw into, ok he was Chancellor but its a different game moving to leader of the party and PM

2015 election will be close anyway, depending if lib dem voters move to labour or not

its been a good day we now know who the next PM is :p: and west ham beat spurs
    West Bacon managed to win a game :eek:

ReputationRep:
    West Bacon managed to win a game :eek:
    2 games in a row if that can happen, anything can happen :p:
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    PS Reviewer
    2 games in a row if that can happen, anything can happen :p:
    There are foul forces at work today son, ones we can't comprehend. We must let hour hope fill the corners of the rooms of us and our beloved and hope to drive it hence away from where we dwell :moon:

Or some other nonsense.

ReputationRep:
    Ed won for a couple of reasons: the presence of two left wingers on the ballot - Abbott and Balls - and the fact that his supporters were generally younger, less wealthy, and more idealistic than those of David Miliband who garnered the support of the "New Labour" generation of MPs and generally the older generations within the party. I think this says a lot about how young people perceive Labour politics and what they expect from it now.

In any case, all this talk of a lurch to the left is premature. Ed is a centre-left politician and though that is uncomfortable to those who have genuinely forgotten what a centre-left politician says and does I think that is the direction young people want. Too long have we been stuck with a centrist (which in practice means centre-right) political system.

ReputationRep:
    hello, im new here and the model HoC you have here seems interesting, my main Political interests include the Environment and Education, so basically my questions are:

1) what are your parties policies on tackling climate change and promoting renewable energy?

2) what is your parties opinion on the Browne review and how University education should be funded?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by GreenIsTheNewRed)
    hello, im new here and the model HoC you have here seems interesting, my main Political interests include the Environment and Education, so basically my questions are:

1) what are your parties policies on tackling climate change and promoting renewable energy?

2) what is your parties opinion on the Browne review and how University education should be funded?
    I'm just a member, not an MP or leader so don't represent the party, but my views:

1) Climate change is a very important issue we face; not being a scientist i tend to believe it when the majority of scientists are telling me it's real (i'm not a sceptic). We need to start encouraging people at home and businesses to recycle more, it's overlooked very easily especially in packaging companies. Providing incentives to go green would be a good idea, but also is providing adequate transportation facilities (reliable bus and train services) and pollution taxes.

2) Universities should not be part of the market (left foot forward had a good article on the subject). If universities do go up to say, £8,000 then someone will go to university with a debt of £24,000 (if the course is 3 years) plus maintenance loan, people will be scared of getting in so much debt, and it will effect the poor the worst.

Also, education quality is linked to external factors, TSR Labour have moved to create more social housing (Social Housing Bill 2010) and create a fairer benefits system (welfare and national insurance bill).

Sorry for the brief reply, heading out in a sec.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by paperclip)
    I'm just a member, not an MP or leader so don't represent the party, but my views:

1) Climate change is a very important issue we face; not being a scientist i tend to believe it when the majority of scientists are telling me it's real (i'm not a sceptic). We need to start encouraging people at home and businesses to recycle more, it's overlooked very easily especially in packaging companies. Providing incentives to go green would be a good idea, but also is providing adequate transportation facilities (reliable bus and train services) and pollution taxes.

2) Universities should not be part of the market (left foot forward had a good article on the subject). If universities do go up to say, £8,000 then someone will go to university with a debt of £24,000 (if the course is 3 years) plus maintenance loan, people will be scared of getting in so much debt, and it will effect the poor the worst.

Also, education quality is linked to external factors, TSR Labour have moved to create more social housing (Social Housing Bill 2010) and create a fairer benefits system (welfare and national insurance bill).

Sorry for the brief reply, heading out in a sec.
    thanks for the reply

a quick follow up, is your party in favor or against Tuition fees on principle? do you think that it should be funded via taxation or do you support the notion that students should pay for it?

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: January 18, 2018
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you rather give up sugar, or salt?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.