Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Aelith)
    Then how come they accept international students then? And not EU people?
    It sounds strange to me as well, that's the reason why I am talking about it. However, no student has been invited until now so we can't know about internationals. If I am right, only the ones who applied with a degree will be considered.

ReputationRep:
    Well that is just... not fair.. and no..I do not want to leave the UK after I finish med school.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by bagda391)
    Well that is just... not fair.. and no..I do not want to leave the UK after I finish med school.
    Same, I actually wanted to stay in UK afterwards. I think this is just discrimination , as why would international people can get in but not EU?

ReputationRep:
    So are you telling me there are international students who have been invited without a degree?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by booper)
    So are you telling me there are international students who have been invited without a degree?
    Yes, in previous years, as undergraduates. They take the IB I believe.

ReputationRep:
    Yes, in previous years, as undergraduates. They take the IB I believe.
    Then the IB should be fine I guess... We'll see.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by booper)
    Then the IB should be fine I guess... We'll see.
    IB is fine indeed, I got my invitation last year. I'm Polish.
    Although I think you should just look on their website what the requirements for the EU are. If they take graduates only it MUST be stated on their website!

ReputationRep:
    http://www.qmul.ac.uk/undergraduate/...ses/80040.html

Here there is a list of the accepted qualifications (including IB). As it is stated, equivalent european or international qualifications are not accepted but non-UK degrees are fine

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ambitions)
    haha, if only!

although I really doubt Barts admission people are that foolish to make such a mistake :P (but then again, are equally as foolish for rejecting us).
    Yeah lol, oh well. Everything happens for a reason.

ReputationRep:
    Well, it stated that my application "does not meet general entrance requirement"
    and I have passed the UKCaT (2480 total when they required minimum 2400 for undergraduates) and i have predicted 15 for the OIB (equivalent to A*AA on Cambridge site). I don't see where I did not meet the entrance requirements.
    Your UKCAT and grades were not up to the standard of other applicants'. In fact it was below the national average. People have been rejected with UKCAT averages well into the 700s and 4 A Levels.Competition is really stiff this year and they cannot interview everyone.

ReputationRep:
    Then how come they accept international students then? And not EU people?
    They do accept EU people. It's just they have to be to the same standard as the UK applicants in terms of UKCAT and UCAS tarrif. If they didn't it would be unfair on UKCAT applicants.

ReputationRep:
    rejected
    predicted: A*A*A*A
    ukcat:740
    i have no idea what they are looking for.. :/
    good luck everyone else!

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by kcapsoccer)
    rejected
    good luck everyone else!

Posted from TSR Mobile
    So sorry to hear that. No one has any idea what they're looking for :/ stupid QM! arghhhh

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by kcapsoccer)
    rejected
    good luck everyone else!

Posted from TSR Mobile
    When did you find out?

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Hahahahaha well this is really awkward.. I think they want straight 900 in the UKCAT) lol

ReputationRep:
    "European and international qualifications:
    In general, we do not accept equivalent qualifications, so you will need to fulfil one of the above criteria. Please see www.smd.qmul.ac.uk for more information."
    GG WP. Plz nerf the admission system ban hammer.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Kimina)
    Your UKCAT and grades were not up to the standard of other applicants'. In fact it was below the national average. People have been rejected with UKCAT averages well into the 700s and 4 A Levels.Competition is really stiff this year and they cannot interview everyone.
    People who've got rejected got the message "Increased competition for places", which is not my case as they state I did not "meet the general entry requirements". And I have applied for A200, not A100.
    And the exam i am passing in France is not listed on their sites, but it is on King's, Bristol, Liverpool... It is a cambridge exam , and it´s approved by the UK gouvernment.

ReputationRep:
    People who've got rejected got the message "Increased competition for places", which is not my case as they state I did not "meet the general entry requirements". And I have applied for A200, not A100.
    And the exam i am passing in France is not listed on their sites, but it is on King's, Bristol, Liverpool... It is a cambridge exam , and it´s approved by the UK gouvernment.
    Do not think it is more likely there is another reason besides your exam? QMUL are a very good university, they are used to EU applicants. They aren't going to make a basic mistake like excluding your exam, especially if you're from France (the French very commonly apply to the UK). I find it hard to believe they are not familiar with your qualification.

What exam type did you sit?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MJK91)
    Do not think it is more likely there is another reason besides your exam? QMUL are a very good university, they are used to EU applicants. They aren't going to make a basic mistake like excluding your exam, especially if you're from France (the French very commonly apply to the UK). I find it hard to believe they are not familiar with your qualification.

What exam type did you sit?
    I take the OIB and very few french schools give that exam : http://www.sis-sevres.net/IMG/pdf/Brochure_for_OIB.pdf
    Most french people take the normal baccalaureate which doesn't give them the opportunity to go to UK, while the OIB gives is the opportunity to go to UK . I have someone from my school last year who just got in Cambridge for medicine, clearly the exam is recognized but not mentionned on Barts ' site.

ReputationRep:
    I take the OIB and very few french schools give that exam : http://www.sis-sevres.net/IMG/pdf/Brochure_for_OIB.pdf
    Most french people take the normal baccalaureate which doesn't give them the opportunity to go to UK, while the OIB gives is the opportunity to go to UK . I have someone from my school last year who just got in Cambridge for medicine, clearly the exam is recognized but not mentionned on Barts ' site.
    If it's such a rare exam, then why would it be mentioned? It's the sort of thing you'd have to check with them on a case-by-case basis. It's clearly valid so I doubt that's the reason behind your rejection. Call them on Monday and find out, I'd be interested in hearing why.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.