Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by bun)
    That sounds a lot more positive financially then! To be honest, if you're facilities are being improved, that should help to attract some pretty good players, too, as that's often just as if not more so important than wages for players.

Haha, I know that feeling. I was just saying with a few mates the other day, that for the first time in my lifetime, I can enjoy the play-offs this year. Every year in the conference, I couldn't enjoy it, as we were worrying about our future, having only just come off the back of being literally minutes away from going bust as a club.

yeah.. not sure it is love for their club though. A lot of them are Newcastle fans who are disgruntled with the way Newcastl are playing, and so are heading along to Gateshead. Bit like Halifax - if they really cared, they wouldn't have let their club die!

I didnt see the Cambridge game, but watched last night's - Grimsby incredibly unlucky not to be a few goals up I think. Gateshead playing exactly like York did under Mills - seems he hasn't changed.

And hey - you didn't deserve to go up that season, we did hehe
    Possibly, it depends what they improve as they never said. The things being improved could be just fitting a lock on the ladies toilets. To me that is a significant improvement but unfortunately I don’t think it would attract new players.

Exactly, and possibly you can enjoy it more this year because you didn’t expect to get this play-off place. Although, I expect the nerves to arrive when you face Fleetwood next week! I don’t want to see them go up.

Steve Burr has decided to stay on at Chester despite getting relegated. I really thought he would have left, but then I thought that he would have kept them up with the way he started when he took over with them. I guess they were pretty unlucky to go down though. Chester have their game back with Stockport next season. The last time those two met they were both in League Two. Now look at them.

I think every time we speak it leads to your dislike towards Mills, ha.

Haha, you finished 15 points behind us and that’s probably one of few times where I’ve watch a Wrexham side actually play really well and deserved to get something out of the season. If we went up last season it would have been one of them where we got lucky rather than deserved it. So, I say you got lucky!

(Original post by Midlander)
    Ra-ra-ra, if crowds of below 2500 are causing you trouble in the Conference I dread to think what they're doing to us in League 1!

Posted from TSR Mobile
    It means you get roped into things like this... as i see you're one of the clubs who have shown an interest.

I think they'll struggle to get £25,000. They're basically asking people to donate money to go to the transfer budget. Some Wrexham fans are keen on the idea so they can get a player out of it but there are other things around where the money could go. Wrexham have done this before but were using the donations to save the club, but I feel this is quite cheeky that they want people from outside the club to put money towards the transfer budget. I know I've had a moan about our budget not being as good as other clubs in the league but I would rather see the money go towards our Racecourse Foundation (or something similar) where they help the disabled get involved with the club etc. There's more important things out there than having a "competitive" transfer budget.

ReputationRep:
    For a season that was meant to be a promotion year, that was nothing short of a train wreck. Players supposedly revolting against Sannino after he cancelled their day off after they played crap? I really want Sannino to succeed, but he looks out of his depth here, especially today. Either give him time, or get someone new in, get rid of all the unpassionate players, release them on a free for all I care.

The backroom staff have a massive summer on their hands this time around. The Pozzos are great, amongst the best owners in the league, but that was a disgrace of a season that looked to promise so much.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ra-ra-ra)
    It means you get roped into things like this... as i see you're one of the clubs who have shown an interest.

I think they'll struggle to get £25,000. They're basically asking people to donate money to go to the transfer budget. Some Wrexham fans are keen on the idea so they can get a player out of it but there are other things around where the money could go. Wrexham have done this before but were using the donations to save the club, but I feel this is quite cheeky that they want people from outside the club to put money towards the transfer budget. I know I've had a moan about our budget not being as good as other clubs in the league but I would rather see the money go towards our Racecourse Foundation (or something similar) where they help the disabled get involved with the club etc. There's more important things out there than having a "competitive" transfer budget.
    I suppose the difference is that SISU have no difficulty in finding the money, which makes the stupidity all the more apparent. You guys are the ones propping up the club-our hedge fund will continue to cover losses as long as it takes to bust ACL.

ReputationRep:
    Possibly, it depends what they improve as they never said. The things being improved could be just fitting a lock on the ladies toilets. To me that is a significant improvement but unfortunately I don’t think it would attract new players.

Exactly, and possibly you can enjoy it more this year because you didn’t expect to get this play-off place. Although, I expect the nerves to arrive when you face Fleetwood next week! I don’t want to see them go up.

Steve Burr has decided to stay on at Chester despite getting relegated. I really thought he would have left, but then I thought that he would have kept them up with the way he started when he took over with them. I guess they were pretty unlucky to go down though. Chester have their game back with Stockport next season. The last time those two met they were both in League Two. Now look at them.

I think every time we speak it leads to your dislike towards Mills, ha.

Haha, you finished 15 points behind us and that’s probably one of few times where I’ve watch a Wrexham side actually play really well and deserved to get something out of the season. If we went up last season it would have been one of them where we got lucky rather than deserved it. So, I say you got lucky
    Hahaha!! Knowing the lifestyle of some players, that might put some off

Yes, definitely. Anything above 18th we said we'd regard as a success this season. So no nerves. But yes, they may kick in against Fleetwood. That said, seems like the money's drying up at Crawley. The fishy lot won't be far behind I reckon.

Chester vs Stockport in the conference sounded wrong. Now it just sounds horrific. Such a shame. Makes you happy to still have a club!

Haha - When I met him once he actually seemed a nice bloke. But to quote Pirates of the Caribbean: 'it was nothing personal, just good business.'
    He had to go otherwise we'd have been relegated. The fact Worthington came in and won 6/10 and still we only survived on the last day proves that. And the board have said, if we'd have gone down, that was it, the club would fold. So he had to go.
    I then felt sorry for him on a personal level, until he got the job at Gateshead, and kept bleating on about how he 'would have kept us up' and was 'unfairly treated' and 'they're only doing this well now because of what he built up'. 2 members of his team are currently in the squad. And 1 of them predates him. The other 40 or so that he signed have all been shipped off.

Yeah, I can't argue with that - it really should have been you going up too. Though we did stuff you when we played you that season, so an argument there for us deserving it too all would have been solved if they'd just allow an extra promotion place

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by bun)

Yes, definitely. Anything above 18th we said we'd regard as a success this season. So no nerves. But yes, they may kick in against Fleetwood. That said, seems like the money's drying up at Crawley. The fishy lot won't be far behind I reckon.

Chester vs Stockport in the conference sounded wrong. Now it just sounds horrific. Such a shame. Makes you happy to still have a club!

Haha - When I met him once he actually seemed a nice bloke. But to quote Pirates of the Caribbean: 'it was nothing personal, just good business.'
    He had to go otherwise we'd have been relegated. The fact Worthington came in and won 6/10 and still we only survived on the last day proves that. And the board have said, if we'd have gone down, that was it, the club would fold. So he had to go.
    I then felt sorry for him on a personal level, until he got the job at Gateshead, and kept bleating on about how he 'would have kept us up' and was 'unfairly treated' and 'they're only doing this well now because of what he built up'. 2 members of his team are currently in the squad. And 1 of them predates him. The other 40 or so that he signed have all been shipped off.

Yeah, I can't argue with that - it really should have been you going up too. Though we did stuff you when we played you that season, so an argument there for us deserving it too all would have been solved if they'd just allow an extra promotion place
    Well done on the 1400 away fans, we also took that amount to Northampton and lost our sixth consecutive game (bar Plymouth). My money is also on Southend to go up though I hope York do it. I'm considering an Exeter season ticket next year as I'll be living two minutes from the stadium and they're cheap as chips.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by bun)

Well done on the 1400 away fans, we also took that amount to Northampton and lost our sixth consecutive game (bar Plymouth). My money is also on Southend to go up though I hope York do it. I'm considering an Exeter season ticket next year as I'll be living two minutes from the stadium and they're cheap as chips.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    I never thought I'd be happy with finishing 7th in League 1, but considering at the start of February we were 24th and facing the very real prospect of relegation it is quite an achievement. Glad we finished 7 points adrift of Peterborough though, couldn't have faced it if we'd been just behind them at the end.

Would quite like Peterborough to go up, but I'm going with Preston to win the play-offs. Borough and Rotherham are too inconsistent at the moment, not followed Orient much but Preston just seem a tough side to beat.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Hooby)
    Just got back from Bolton (stayed in Manchester celebrating) amazing atmosphere, really nerveracking I couldnt stop crying!! Don't want to do that again in a hurry!!

Attachment 281714

Attachment 281718

Attachment 281715
    We were listening to it on the radio and I went out when we were 2 down! I was in the supermarket, saw wed drawn and was dying waiting for the Doncaster result. Everyone in the supermarket started cheering lol.

ReputationRep:
    Season to write off. 21 defeats in 46 games. 15th in the Championship. McCormack really saved us this season.

ReputationRep:
    Season to enjoy. Credit to Carlisle fans yesterday. And a big up to George Elokobi leaving us after 6 years - Roll on The Championship (again)!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Silver Arrows)
    Season to write off. 21 defeats in 46 games. 15th in the Championship. McCormack really saved us this season.
    A very similar situation to us (Blackburn Rovers) last year. We had our fair share of off field problems as well but we could've mathematically gone down on the last day. Last summer we had a huge clear out of the dead wood and got some young players who wanted to prove something. Now we've gone on our best unbeaten run since we won the league and come within 2 points of the playoffs. How things change.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by brocklehurst95)
    A very similar situation to us (Blackburn Rovers) last year. We had our fair share of off field problems as well but we could've mathematically gone down on the last day. Last summer we had a huge clear out of the dead wood and got some young players who wanted to prove something. Now we've gone on our best unbeaten run since we won the league and come within 2 points of the playoffs. How things change.
    What's the latest on the Venky's?

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by bun)

Haha, I would happily go to B&Q, buy a lock and fix it to the door myself if that was the case.

There’s bound to be a few nerves flying about now that you’ve made it this far because you know you’re so close. I wouldn’t be too upset for Fleetwood if that would be the case for them. A bit like with FGR, they’ve had to cut their budget going into next season. Not that having a decent budget helped them much this season.

Haha yeah I get you, manager wise you’re just glad to see the back of him. Some managers tend to say crap like that because they got sacked and have been better off without them. Looks like he’s on his way to Wembley though. I feel for Grimsby but Hatton really messed that up for them. Surprisingly I actually think the sending off of Neilson helped Grimsby as it made them come alive to be playing with 10 men but as for Hatton that was pure stupidity to go in like that when already on a yellow card. Everything had to be changed and that was that as gaps opened up for Gateshead. Felt a bit sorry for McKeown with that awful error too. Grimsby come close but have fallen short again. So Cambridge-Gateshead in the final, third time for Cambridge to make it to the final I think? Maybe it will be third time lucky for them.

Haha, here we go... you always remind me of the time you were 3-0 up within half an hour and completely hammered us at home... you just caught us on a bad day. Yeah, there definitely should be an extra place to go up but I don’t think they’ll get round to sorting that out anytime soon. It tends to be that you have to have a few heartbreaks along the way before you eventually get promoted. I won’t hold my breath for next season though. :closedeyes:

ReputationRep:
    Haha, I would happily go to B&Q, buy a lock and fix it to the door myself if that was the case.

There’s bound to be a few nerves flying about now that you’ve made it this far because you know you’re so close. I wouldn’t be too upset for Fleetwood if that would be the case for them. A bit like with FGR, they’ve had to cut their budget going into next season. Not that having a decent budget helped them much this season.

Haha yeah I get you, manager wise you’re just glad to see the back of him. Some managers tend to say crap like that because they got sacked and have been better off without them. Looks like he’s on his way to Wembley though. I feel for Grimsby but Hatton really messed that up for them. Surprisingly I actually think the sending off of Neilson helped Grimsby as it made them come alive to be playing with 10 men but as for Hatton that was pure stupidity to go in like that when already on a yellow card. Everything had to be changed and that was that as gaps opened up for Gateshead. Felt a bit sorry for McKeown with that awful error too. Grimsby come close but have fallen short again. So Cambridge-Gateshead in the final, third time for Cambridge to make it to the final I think? Maybe it will be third time lucky for them.

Haha, here we go... you always remind me of the time you were 3-0 up within half an hour and completely hammered us at home... you just caught us on a bad day. Yeah, there definitely should be an extra place to go up but I don’t think they’ll get round to sorting that out anytime soon. It tends to be that you have to have a few heartbreaks along the way before you eventually get promoted. I won’t hold my breath for next season though. :closedeyes:
    Haha I wouldn't blame you! I don't even risk the toilets at BC!

Yeah - we know at the very least it's a good boost for our budget next season though - so we're not too nervous I don't think. It's the first (bar 1 or 2) end to a season for about 15 years whene the club's future hasn't hung in the balance! As for Fleetwood - their budget has been cut, but apparently they're still the league's top spenders by a good million pounds (their budget 2.5m apparently). I'm just waiting with glee for when they go pop like crawley have done and end up in Conf North where they belong.

Yeah - when he was already on a yellow to go in like that just beggars belief. Absolutely stupid. I'm not sure it was the going down to 10 men, or whether it was the sense of injustice that it should never have been a red that galvanised Grimsby. Shame, as they have some nice ex-York lads there. And probably should have won the first leg comfortably. But it's silly ,istakes - GK error, or sendings off - that seem to make the difference.

Haha I know. I still think you deserved promotion that season! And yeah, as we always say: going through the rough ,akes you enjoy the smooth so much more (as I'm now finding out!!)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Midlander)
    What's the latest on the Venky's?

Posted from TSR Mobile
    They've shut up recently and have let the management do their job and as far as I'm concerned that's good news. They still operate from afar but that seems to be how they do things so let them be. I'd still rather not have them as owners but there's finally some optimism about the place which is an huge improvement on this time last year

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by brocklehurst95)
    Exactly what Leeds need to do, half of our squad need shifting out, and use some of the fantastic talent that comes through our academy. I'm not expecting promotion as a certainty next year, but it would be nice to have a crack at it.

ReputationRep:
    I support whichever team i have my money on.

ReputationRep:
    For once we appear to actually be shifting the dead wood out of Hillsborough and early that that! :eek: Danny Mayor, David Prutton, Anthony Gardner and Miguel Llera have all left the club. Next up Jermaine Johnson

ReputationRep:
    We're coming home, coming home, coming home, tell the Championship we're coming home!! :cool:

The Premier League is rubbish apart from the money. Glad to be back in a proper football league away from the drama.

1) Referees in the Premier League are God damn awful and only intent on gaining headlines themselves
    2) You have morons like Alan Shearer sticking their nose in and giving their opinion on your club
    3) Prawn sandwich crew turn up in abundance and the 'don't stand up and chant' idiots are out in force
    4) Stewards think they're police officers because the Premier League tell them to get their act together
    5) Ticket prices are higher just for the privilege of seeing Uruguayans and Spanish players roll on grass
    6) Less late night games during the week which I love as a fan - games under the flood lights
    7) A massive lack of competition other than subsets you can predict. You'll never get anything like what Burnley have done at Premier League level
    8) The thrill of knowing you could be in the play offs - great days out

Premier League is crap fellas and the only good thing about it is the money your club gets. Glad to be relegated and back in a proper league where tackling is allowed and players aren't crying to the ref every 5 minutes.

BRING ON DIRTY LEEDS!!!! :afraid:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by GnomeMage)
    I support whichever team i have my money on.
    Strong poster to acrylic ratio.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

This forum is supported by:
Updated: April 26, 2018
Poll
Do you like carrot cake?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.