St John's College (Cambridge) Students and Applicants Watch

Welix
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by Leviathon)
I don't know the answer to OP but this "bit thick but with a lot of money" business makes me think of a name given to some of the posher Oxford colleges, including Oriel, which is a clotted cream college: i.e. rich, white and thick.
*Looks at sig* are you implying something about yourself :rolleyes:? jk of course
Cezmerelda
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
St John's supposedly murdered a cox in a boat race once- they had a spike sticking out their boat or something that's why they're called Lady Margaret Boat Club rather than St John's...don't know how true this is though. Not even sure that is connected.

I think by now it's just tradition as St John's has lovely people there but years ago maybe it was seen as being pretentious or something?
Leviathon
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by Welix)
*Looks at sig* are you implying something about yourself :rolleyes:? jk of course
I wish! I would be offended by the name but I just find it far too funny.
It could be lupus
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by jammythedodger)
My friend said it was just a something all the other colleges chant at St John's cause its basically the richest. And he definitely didn't want to go to Oxford.

Then, after everyone has chanted that at St John's, they chant back "you'll never be at John's..." :p:
FAIL. Trinity College, Cambridge is the richest of all of the Oxbridge Colleges.

The stereotype comes about as it is believed that Johnian's are very arrogant and believe that they are the best
mavoury
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by Welix)
Well, how did it come about?

Is it really true that most people at St John's want to go to Oxford? Why St. John's, it's not the only Cambridge college that shares a name with an Oxford college. Or is St. John's particularly famous?

Sorry if I'm being an utter noob, I was just wondering
It's not said by the students of St John's, rather said to them (jokingly) by students of other Cambridge colleges: 'I'd rather be at Oxford than St John's'
ie. targeting it for its wealth and grandeur methinks, belittling it as a college. All said in good fun though (usually).
generalebriety
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by Welix)
So are you saying that people at Oxford are "a bit thick but with lots of money" :p:. The connection to Oxford in particular must come from somewhere!
No, it doesn't. It's quite simple: there is Oxford-Cambridge rivalry, and people jokingly claim to hate John's because, stereotypically, it is seen as being the college full of arrogant, rich, public-schooled 'rahs'. So in order to claim that their college is ****, we say we'd rather be at Oxford (a place we're all obliged to hate) than John's.
Welix
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by generalebriety)
No, it doesn't. It's quite simple: there is Oxford-Cambridge rivalry, and people jokingly claim to hate John's because, stereotypically, it is seen as being the college full of arrogant, rich, public-schooled 'rahs'. So in order to claim that their college is ****, we say we'd rather be at Oxford (a place we're all obliged to hate) than John's.
Right, that makes a lot of sense. Oxford in general is synonymous for all that's wrong with the student body at Cambridge :yep: Got it!
curlbe
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by It could be lupus)
FAIL. Trinity College, Cambridge is the richest of all of the Oxbridge Colleges.
Yeah, I think you're right, I went to Ox but I've always been under the impression that Trinity Cambridge is the richest. Though, St. John's Oxford is the richest at Oxford so maybe that's why people get confused...
gethsemane342
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
I heard one of the Trinities started it because St. John's is richer/nearly as rich. But yeah, i'm pretty sure it's because of the stereotype of a St. John's student. I know Christ's people say it because John's got our land though, if it helps :P
Funkachillislap
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
From having gotten back from an interview there the other week; it appears to have been started and continued through the decades by a number of factors.
1. The story about the rower, which gave people a reason to dislike st. johns. (i believe it was a member of trinity which was killed)
2. Their rugby team is by far the best college team within oxbridge; pretty much proven by the varsity matches.
3. People like to wind Johians up through the stereotype of them being posh and arrogant.

And yeah, as people have said; other students sing it to johians to wind them up at sporting events and social do's, to which johians have their own reply. tbh, why wouldnt students be envious of students at st. johns?
their may ball is voted one of the best parties IN THE WORLD; and last year they had the biggest private fireworks display in the world. plus they have beautiful grounds (bar cripps) and lots of money to share with their students. (look up their travel grants).
I do hope i get in
It could be lupus
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by Funkachillislap)
From having gotten back from an interview there the other week; it appears to have been started and continued through the decades by a number of factors.
1. The story about the rower, which gave people a reason to dislike st. johns. (i believe it was a member of trinity which was killed)
2. Their rugby team is by far the best college team within oxbridge; pretty much proven by the varsity matches.
3. People like to wind Johians up through the stereotype of them being posh and arrogant.

And yeah, as people have said; other students sing it to johians to wind them up at sporting events and social do's, to which johians have their own reply. tbh, why wouldnt students be envious of students at st. johns?
their may ball is voted one of the best parties IN THE WORLD; and last year they had the biggest private fireworks display in the world. plus they have beautiful grounds (bar cripps) and lots of money to share with their students. (look up their travel grants).
I do hope i get in
Explain to me how the varsity match proves that they are the best college team. They are the best team in the league, and by quite a bit, but I think that the post-grad teams would beat them as they are full of starting blues players. It is true that the starting John's team would represent the uni at some level, but the actually Blue's team is dominated by post-grads.
smilepea
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
Explain to me how the varsity match proves that they are the best college team. They are the best team in the league, and by quite a bit, but I think that the post-grad teams would beat them as they are full of starting blues players. It is true that the starting John's team would represent the uni at some level, but the actually Blue's team is dominated by post-grads.
Actually John's won cuppers this year against Hugh's with all their blues players playing.
curlbe
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by smilepea)
Actually John's won cuppers this year against Hugh's with all their blues players playing.
Hugh's? Are you talking about Oxford or Cambridge...think the others are talking about St. John's Cambridge, not St. John's Ox...
smilepea
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by curlbe)
Hugh's? Are you talking about Oxford or Cambridge...think the others are talking about St. John's Cambridge, not St. John's Ox...
don't worry I'm talking about Cambridge, I mean Hugh's Hall
BJack
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
don't worry I'm talking about Cambridge, I mean Hugh's Hall
That's Hughes, not Hugh's.
smilepea
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by BJack)
That's Hughes, not Hugh's.
Meh close enough.
Eva2
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
I heard that it has a pretty bad reputation. That's all I know.
It could be lupus
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
Wow really? That is very interesting! I knew they won it last year, but not against Hughes'
smilepea
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
Wow really? That is very interesting! I knew they won it last year, but not against Hughes'
Well it was certainly against a grad college side full of blues, it might have been teddies but I don't think it was
It could be lupus
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
Well it was certainly against a grad college side full of blues, it might have been teddies but I don't think it was
Even still thats very impressive. The John's starting team would consist of players playing for the uni at some level though
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• University of East Anglia
    All Departments Open 13:00-17:00. Find out more about our diverse range of subject areas and career progression in the Arts & Humanities, Social Sciences, Medicine & Health Sciences, and the Sciences. Postgraduate
    Wed, 30 Jan '19
  • Solent University
    Careers in maritime Undergraduate
    Sat, 2 Feb '19
  • Sheffield Hallam University
    City and Collegiate Campus Undergraduate
    Sun, 3 Feb '19

Brexit: Given the chance now, would you vote leave or remain?

Remain (586)
80.27%
Leave (144)
19.73%

Watched Threads