The Student Room Group

American Football Talk II

Scroll to see replies

I don't think that pick was very bad though, from a quarterback point of view.
Where is there a good source of all the games and kickoff times etc?

I want to see if there's a good game on tomorrow at a watchable time but wouldn't know where to go in one place to see all the matches and times in a nice format.

Posted from TSR Mobile
http://m.nfluk.com/s/37678/Schedule

Is what I currently use. Colts v eagles at 6pm tomorrow I think.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Motorbiker
Where is there a good source of all the games and kickoff times etc?

I want to see if there's a good game on tomorrow at a watchable time but wouldn't know where to go in one place to see all the matches and times in a nice format.

Posted from TSR Mobile

There isn't really, they are all late tonight. I find betting sites quite handy cos they convert the times to GMT.
Not really that bothered about watching any preseason games to be honest. Nothing counts in that aspect, especially not the results
Original post by Josh_Stride
Does anyone play at uni or for a club?

I'm starting Uni in October (Warwick) and want to join both the University team and potentially the Coventry Jets (the local side) should time management allow... Was just wondering if anyone could tell me what it's like at that level?

I have basic experience of playing, mostly recreationally with friends but I'm looking forward to stepping it up.

I want to try out for Hertfordshire Uni's American Football team. Never played properly before, but I'm interested in giving it a go for sure
Original post by TheGiantPunkGooner
Not really that bothered about watching any preseason games to be honest. Nothing counts in that aspect, especially not the results

Nice to see how the starters look coming out of camp. Doesn't mean much but it does mean football is back.
Reply 1147
I get quite anorak-y with my hobbies and interests so I like preseason. I get to see all these up and coming players trying to carve out a space for themselves in the roster. Even I don't watch the 4th quarter or 4th game though because those guys don't make much impact outside of special teams if they make the roster at all. My special teams knowledge and eyes are not good enough to be able to track players and pass judgement on normal special teams plays which are by their very nature usually messy affairs.
(edited 8 years ago)
I've been mainly catching highlights where I can. Will see if I can stream the afternoon game today if I'm not busy with the fiancée.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 1149
Original post by SmashConcept
I don't think that pick was very bad though, from a quarterback point of view.

The Mariota interception looks like a designed 1st read screen pass right? The ball is a bit off where the RB is but in his defence the route that the RB has ran (was it Sankey again? He looked bad that game) is largely unconvincing but the O-Line players who have gone with the screen look all out of position. One of the two is facing the QB. I'm not a coach but shouldn't he be giving himself a blocking angle on the guys who have read the screen to give Sankey a chance? The other is in front of Sankey which is again a bad position. He needs to be behind him ready to block the next guy. Mariota tries to look the defence off which is a plus point but I don't think that you can throw that ball when the screen has become so muddled. You've got to check to the drag route over the middle as soon as you see red shirts amongst your lineman. It's a negative yards pass if Sankey manages to catch it. I have had the benefit of it rolling around on vine 100 times whilst I wrote this though. Mariota had like 2 seconds after the snap.
Anyone else watch ing ind v philli?

Checking out Luck before fantasy football starts...

Posted from TSR Mobile
Anyone got any links to websites which I can watch American football games on
Reply 1152
Original post by Siliconvalley

I watched a bit, ate dinner and now I'm back. Agholor is really shifty. Just needs to sort his hands out. His YPC is going to be really good. That punt return was properly awesome too.
(edited 8 years ago)
I'm still annoyed at NFL.com. I used to listen to all of the Broncos games using AudioPass. Now, the NFL, killed AudioPass, and merged it with GamePass, so now I have to shell out for that. I probably will at some point anyway, but, damn, now it's so much more expensive now to just listen.

Combined with the fact that there's no way of listening to some NFL games using the radio, and it makes it a bit rubbish. AudioPass was perfect, as I could re-listen to the games.
Original post by Wattsy
Not really supposed to tell you (sorry Motorbiker) but first row sports and vipbox will both have streams.

Thanks
Original post by Wattsy
I watched a bit, ate dinner and now I'm back. Agholor is really shifty. Just needs to sort his hands out. His YPC is going to be really good. That punt return was properly awesome too.

He had a few great runs. I was impressed

Only caught the first half of the game though.

Original post by Siliconvalley

I don't care about banning or removing links.

I watched it via a HD youtube private streaming link. Was beautiful and perfect.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 1156
Original post by Motorbiker
He had a few great runs. I was impressed

Only caught the first half of the game though.

I don't care about banning or removing links.

I watched it via a HD youtube private streaming link. Was beautiful and perfect.

Posted from TSR Mobile

I watched in non-stuttering 240p which was a shame. I was playing spot the ball a lot when Tebow was on because he fakes runs all of the time. He also throws it 6 feet above his receivers heads. He did not make it easy to find the football. I've been sent these private youtube links before for hockey but I have no idea where to find them.

Hard Knocks 23:30 Sky Sports 1 by the way. Last season was awesome; I did not realise how cool Harry Douglas was until that show. Forget his WR3 kind of skills, those are pretty forgettable but as a guy he was awesome.
(edited 8 years ago)
How the hell is Trent Richardson still in the league? He is being absolutely, and rightfully, roasted for not having the vision to see the cutback lane. He sees the lane, it's either six, or really long game. I totally buy into the point of view that he's going where he 'should' be and someone on the line screwed up, but see the hole and adjust. He doesn't have Alabama's o-line opening holes left right and center. It's a whole new level in the NFL. He didn't even see the hole.

[video="youtube;T87K4KU0Lzs"]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T87K4KU0Lzs[/video]
Checking back in again :smile:
Original post by Wattsy
The Mariota interception looks like a designed 1st read screen pass right? The ball is a bit off where the RB is but in his defence the route that the RB has ran (was it Sankey again? He looked bad that game) is largely unconvincing but the O-Line players who have gone with the screen look all out of position. One of the two is facing the QB. I'm not a coach but shouldn't he be giving himself a blocking angle on the guys who have read the screen to give Sankey a chance? The other is in front of Sankey which is again a bad position. He needs to be behind him ready to block the next guy. Mariota tries to look the defence off which is a plus point but I don't think that you can throw that ball when the screen has become so muddled. You've got to check to the drag route over the middle as soon as you see red shirts amongst your lineman. It's a negative yards pass if Sankey manages to catch it. I have had the benefit of it rolling around on vine 100 times whilst I wrote this though. Mariota had like 2 seconds after the snap.
Yeah, essentially this is the case. This isn't a case of having to read between three guys, key the safety and Mariota showing he couldn't do it. This is a screen pass, so it's either hit the RB or throw it in front of his feet. What happened here is the defense was in a 3 deep zone coverage. The difference between zone and man is not always that important in terms of where defenders are, but it is important for their technique. In zone every defender puts their eyes in the backfield - a cardinal sin in man. The idea of a screen is for everyone to turn their backs on the play except the guy responsible for the RB in man coverage. Block him and you have a big gain, provided you didn't telegraph the play to the pass rushers. Even though it's zone, someone is still going to play "man coverage" to try and break up the pass, but which defender(s) does it will only express himself later in the play, so it is a bit harder for the line to figure out who the most important person to block is. I think this goes some way to explaining why the linemen looked out of position, but in general their execution should have been better. If Mariota had seen the play blowing, he could have made the smart move of throwing the ball at Sankey's feet and setting up 3rd and 21 and a probable punt. With rushers in his face, his vision impeded and adjusting to the speed of the NFL he's not at that point yet, but this isn't some play where he just didn't know what was going on because his college offense was too simple.

Also, since screens are a man-beater, you wouldn't hope for it to be a go-to playcall on 2nd and 21 in a real game. Even blitzes in that situation are going to have zone coverage on the back end, because why allow a big play?

Quick Reply

Latest