Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Adami97)
    Lol! The questions really put me off. I'd say we're all in the same boat but...

Spoiler:
    Show
    it's filling up with tears
    At the rate I'm crying this boat will sink faster than the Titantic.
    Spoiler:
    Show
    Faster than my grades too.
    :rofl:

ReputationRep:
    Mark scheme up anyone?

ReputationRep:
    How did I even get 2nd order for both D and E -_-

I've just checked markschemes:

Why is chloroethanoic acid a stronger acid than ethanoic acid? (1)

1 mark for:

Cl is (more electronegative so) withdraws electrons
    OR negative inductive effect of Cl

Second mark for:

Weakens O-H bond
    OR reduced negative charge on COO-
    OR stabilises COO- (more)

For distinguishing between P and Q:

Reagent: AgNO3 OR Na2CO3/NaHCO3 OR water/alcohol OR named indicator
    P: no visible change/no reaction
    Q: (white) ppt OR effervescence/CO2/fumes/exothermic OR fumes/smell OR acid colour

Words in brackets aren't needed

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by muzzbuzzyhahaha)
    What did you write for
    Why is lidocaine hydrochloride rather than lidocaine preferred to be used in medicine?
    Im guessing that lidocaine is more soluble compared to the salt which is actually can be injected or used like a cream as it is less soluble

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Matt0Schaffer)
    No it didn't that's a tertiary alcohol.
    Yeah I put that aswell and im sure its wrong considering the paper said it was about to turn acidified potassium diachromate green.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ELCRE)
    Did you speak to your exams officer about it, just let her/him know and they may fill it in for you

Posted from TSR Mobile
    I've just sent my exams officer an email, I hope he gets it! Honestly everything was on this paper, even the 9 marker at the end which I think I got right why mee

(Original post by iiPablo)
    Put AgNO3 initially but wasn't sure if the CH2Cl would form a white ppt. as well, so went with water to produce white misty fumes with the acyl chloride, any ideas if that'd score marks?
    That's fine.

ReputationRep:
    What did people get for the 2 questions right at the start (equations for ethanoic acid behaving as an acid and a base??)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Cadherin)
    It is 9.
    Thank god. I have now secured 1 mark out of 100.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Kay Fearn)
    Pretty sure it was 8 peaks..
    It was 9 peaks

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SnackAttack33)
    Complaining will do nothing for you or anyone else. People complain every year. EVERYONE had to answer the same questions as you. Dont worry about it. They are testing your APPLICATION of the knowledge.
    Im sure you did a lot better than you think. The questions were not too difficult if you new both past paper technique and a good all round knowledge.

Dont fret! LIfes too short

Good luck with anymore exams
    Thing is the style was completely different to the past papers. There were too many sneaky questions that aren't going to be reliably representative of the students abilities which is not fair - especially the 9 marker at the end after lots of time wasting short questions.

Chem 1&2 were both so different from past papers it's unreal, so many long answer questions at the end throws everyone off his isn't fair at all they need to take responsibility because the grade boundaries for an a will be around 72 but each grade inbetween will be 3-4 marks which is so unfair to cast such thin boundaries

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Hclarke9)
    Anyone get 1.2 for the salt/acid question??? Cant remember exactly what the question was asking but it was the last question on the 2nd page
    yeah I did !!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ljm1998)
    Start a petition
    Seriously I think it's worth it because usually there's on a few questions that require a lot of time. Almost every question in the paper required a lot of time and thinking. I couldn't concentrate on the questions themselves because I was scared of running out of time. It was an unfair paper. I've done every last paper twice and nothing compared to that paper today

ReputationRep:
    The answer to the final question was CH3CH2C(CH3)HOCH2CH2OH

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Suits101)
    For distinguishing between P and Q:

Reagent: AgNO3 OR Na2CO3/NaHCO3 OR water OR named indicator
    P: no visible change/no reaction
    Q: (white) ppt OR effervescence/CO2/fumes/exothermic OR fumes/smell OR acid colour

Words in brackets aren't needed
    Wouldnt any alcohol also work in the same way as water?

ReputationRep:
    Where is this d MARK SCHEMEMEMEMEMEMEMEEMEMEMEMEM!?!? !?!!?!?!?!?!!? lol..

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SnackAttack33)
    your right! sorry!
    don't be I put the same at first your nmr is spot on tho so you will pick up marks

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ljm1998)
    Start a petition
    I agree too, the questions took me too long and the entire paper was SO difderent to any of the other past papers!! I'm with ya there, if there's a petition, I'll sign

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by badaman)
    Medicine yes *****ing myself now

Posted from TSR Mobile
    yep same Manchester for medicine

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What's your favourite Christmas sweets?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.