Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Student_2357)
    It's one of the hardest STEP 1 papers I've done so I think the grade boundaries will be similar to the last two years, probably got 45-47, so I think I scraped a 2. Comparing this to some ridiculously easy STEP 1's (2010/2013) is quite annoying.
    Personally I found 2015 really easy (comfortable S) but did terribly in this paper, not an accurate reflection of my performance in mocks at all.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by IrrationalRoot)
    Personally I found 2015 really easy (comfortable S) but did terribly in this paper, not an accurate reflection of my performance in mocks at all.
    When you say terrible... does that mean you didn't get over 100?

ReputationRep:
    What is allowed to talk about and what is not allowed to talk about regarding today's paper? I thought we can't even talk about the level of difficulty, I really don't want the grade boundaries to go up

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by js.int)
    When you say terrible... does that mean you didn't get over 100?
    I didn't get an S I assure you that. Even though I did on 2013,14,15...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Melanie Leconte)
    What is allowed to talk about and what is not allowed to talk about regarding today's paper? I thought we can't even talk about the level of difficulty, I really don't want the grade boundaries to go up
    the grade boundaries will only go up if people find out what was on the test before they sit for it and know the answers. Talking about the difficulty doesn't help anyone

I'm imagining some evil Australian mathmos poring over our posts on TSR, looking for hints for the STEP exam :rofl:

(though perhaps Australians sit the exam before us, who knows)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Student_2357)
    It's one of the hardest STEP 1 papers I've done so I think the grade boundaries will be similar to the last two years, probably got 45-47, so I think I scraped a 2. Comparing this to some ridiculously easy STEP 1's (2010/2013) is quite annoying.
    How many questions/parts of questions did you answer because I also plan on scraping a 2 thanks
    btw if you want to reply tomorrow so as not to help Australians that is cool

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by porridgepie)
    I assure you that you have not lol i doubt i even got a U if that is even possible
    Ah damn it's nice to know someone else had a hard time

ReputationRep:
    Hint for all thos to sit.
    Integral of k is kx.
    Yes I made that mistake and it has cost me a very a good score dropping around 10-15 marks because of that.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    • Section Leader
    • Clearing and Applications Advisor

ReputationRep:
    Section Leader
    Clearing and Applications Advisor
    (Original post by Melanie Leconte)
    edited to say: no discussion about the paper at all

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mathemagicien)
    I'm imagining some evil Australian mathmos poring over our posts on TSR, looking for hints for the STEP exam :rofl:

(though perhaps Australians sit the exam before us, who knows)
    How about Korean/Chinese mathmos ?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jneill)
    I think you can safely say the paper was difficult (if that's what you thought) but not that (for example and I don't know if it was as I didn't sit the paper) that question 2 was difficult.

Thank you for the reply, very kind

If many start talking about the questions numbers and how difficult or easy they are, wouldn't that be helpful with the picking of questions...just thinking nervelessly.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by physicsmaths)
    Hint for all thos to sit.
    Integral of k is kx.
    Yes I made that mistake and it has cost me a very a good score dropping around 10-15 marks because of that.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Isnt this gonna increase grade boundaries?

ReputationRep:
    Because before that people thought the integral of k was kx^3

ReputationRep:
    Lol.
    Integral of k. Is kx is not a hint to solve a step question.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jacobe)
    Because before that people thought the integral of k was kx^3
    Lol

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by physicsmaths)
    Lol

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Ohh, I thought it was a reference to a particular question on this paper.

ReputationRep:
    Can everybody please not discuss anything related to the paper at all.

Even something as vague as "boundaries should be low" is giving an advantage to somebody sitting the paper.

Even an emoticon expressing your sentiments about the paper.

Otherwise, we'll need to have the thread closed temporarily and that'd just be shame since people would like to discuss STEP II.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by krishdesai7)
    Is the TSR Latex compiler giving everyone trouble, or is something wrong with just my server?

It's rather troubling because some of the answers on the solutions threads are completely in latex, and you can't make out a word of them
    Ya - mine isn't working either
    • Section Leader
    • Clearing and Applications Advisor

ReputationRep:
    Section Leader
    Clearing and Applications Advisor
    (Original post by Zacken)
    Can everybody please not discuss anything related to the paper at all.

Even something as vague as "boundaries should be low" is giving an advantage to somebody sitting the paper.

Even an emoticon expressing your sentiments about the paper.

Otherwise, we'll need to have the thread closed temporarily and that'd just be shame since people would like to discuss STEP II.
    Noted, and I agree.

I'll edit my earlier comments.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What's your favourite Christmas sweets?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.