The Commons Bar Mk XIII - MHoC Chat Thread

Announcements Posted on
TSR looking different to you this week? Find out why here. 02-12-2016

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jammy Duel)
    The reaction to this, you would think a doctor has never misdiagnosed somebody before leading to their death...
    http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2016..._id=sf37689211
    Sepsis monitoring is being investigated anyway, so picking out earlier signs of sepsis has already been acknowledged as a way to improve.

Shocking though to die from a graze which the GP didn't judge as serious enough to warrant even an antibiotic.

I hate how families get a quote in this, as usual, they oversimplify, blame the system and write as if doctors WANT their patients to die.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jammy Duel)
    The referendum democratic deficit according to remainers: The democratically elected government is not democratic enough, the largest vote in British history bears no democratic mandate, so we should listen to a bunch of appointed barristers and listen to the appointed HoL.
    Members should have voted on how a post-Brexit would look v current situation. Absurd that there is no re-ballot after we establish what terms are

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by That Bearded Man)
    Members should have voted on how a post-Brexit would look v current situation. Absurd that there is no re-ballot after we establish what terms are

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Tell me this, what should we vote for, absolutely no deal or some form of deal? If there were some form of vote the deal would only be rejected if it were seen as "not real" brexit in that we are still de facto in the EU, but that doesn't seem too likely.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Bornblue)
    Ruth Davidson opposes grammar schools plan. She's brilliant.
    She supported staying the single market

But yes, I agree, Ruth Davison makes great points and comes across well. Kezia on the other hand.

Also, EU to decide on whether to introduce hard border between the 6 counties and the South. Now that would be devastating

Also, how dare the government consider approving plans to overrule Lancashire councils decision to block fracking.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Also, EU to decide on whether to introduce hard border between the 6 counties and the South. Now that would be devastating

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Well

Does the EU

Actually have the authority to be able to force the matter?

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    I wonder if Ireland would have a second divorce if they were to impose it, not that they really believe divorce is right.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by The Financier)
    No wonder British businesses are "fat and lazy". We haven't been making those innovative neural-network trained, 3D printed, blockchained jams that France needs.

Has anyone told the WI?

ReputationRep:
    She supported staying the single market

But yes, I agree, Ruth Davison makes great points and comes across well. Kezia on the other hand.

Also, how dare the government consider approving plans to overrule Lancashire councils decision to block fracking.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    The EU has no power to impose an external border, that is the purview of member states (i.e. Ireland). If anything a common external border policy would be a good thing to keep out the migrants but as Italy and Greece have shown us, member states can let in whoever they want. Hence it's a non story unless they are just voting on a motion or something non binding.

NIMBY's must be removed.

I thought you'd be pleased with the announcement that government is expanding the number of training places for doctors.

ReputationRep:
    So, junior doctors to be locked into 4 year contracts in NHS after graduating and fined if they work abroad?

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Rakas21)
    The EU has no power to impose an external border, that is the purview of member states (i.e. Ireland). If anything a common external border policy would be a good thing to keep out the migrants but as Italy and Greece have shown us, member states can let in whoever they want. Hence it's a non story unless they are just voting on a motion or something non binding.

NIMBY's must be removed.

I thought you'd be pleased with the announcement that government is expanding the number of training places for doctors.
    It doesn't really address the issues though, it won't solve the current shortage, they'll have to change the curriculum to work in placements, funding those places works out around £300mill and they've only committed to what, £120mill?

Strange, seems as if EU would have a flaw if it allows an unchecked border with the UK.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    It doesn't really address the issues though, it won't solve the current shortage, they'll have to change the curriculum to work in placements, funding those places works out around £300mill and they've only committed to what, £120mill?

Strange, seems as if EU would have a flaw if it allows an unchecked border with the UK.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    The EU allows an unchecked external border everywhere because there's no external border policy. We're only lucky that some places in the east care about their ethno-cultural makeup.

ReputationRep:
    Breakfast means Breakfast.

ReputationRep:

NIMBY's must be removed.

Fining people for working abroad? That's very authoritarian. *

ReputationRep:
    Liz Truss just gave a very progressive speech to prison reforms, focusing on rehabilitation.

Can't imagine that will go down too well with the hard right backbenchers.*

ReputationRep:
    Fining people for working abroad? That's very authoritarian. *
    I see little wrong with contracting an employee to your organisation for a fixed period and fining them if they break that contract.

ReputationRep:
    I see little wrong with contracting an employee to your organisation for a fixed period and fining them if they break that contract.
    * there is some bring wrong when you change the contract after it has already been entered into.

ReputationRep:
    * there is some bring wrong when you change the contract after it has already been entered into.
    My understanding is that the new restriction will apply to the new doctors being trained.

ReputationRep:
    Well, it's taken three months but the IMF Have finally joined in the brexit mass U-turn, not just from recession to growth, but to, once again, the fastest growing in the G7, and that's despite annualised Q3 growth to be down about 1pc

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    For those of you that are fellow extreme weather fans tonights ECWMF model run (the worlds statistical best) is just too exciting for you not see..

Category 4 into central Florida (sustained winds 135-155mph).

Of course things may change i should add.

ReputationRep:
    Here's a summary of the tory conference:

Honestly. What a rotten conference this has been for speeches. The sheer, screaming boredom of it. It’s all so lifeless. So crushingly half-hearted.

The same robotic phrases, recited over and over again: “a country that works for everyone”, “Brexit means Brexit and we’re going to make a success of it”, “no one left behind”, “as far as their talents will take them”. The drowsy dribbles of applause, each starting with a lone pair of hands (clap… clap…), acting as a Pavlovian prompt for the rest of the hall to join listlessly in.

None of the speakers can tell a story. None of them can tell a joke, beyond the obligatory “How about that Jeremy Corbyn? He’s a bit Left-wing, am I right?!” No one has anything to say about themselves or their convictions or what they’ve learned about life and the world. No one, apart from Boris Johnson, has a turn of phrase or a distinctive rhetorical style.

It’s all just sterile, torpid, faceless, mirthless, generic, committee-approved, insincere managerial blah. We might as well be attending the annual awards ceremony for the doorstop industry.

From the Daily Telegraph.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2016...what-death-fe/

Write a reply… Reply
Submit reply

Register

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. Oops, you need to agree to our Ts&Cs to register
  2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: December 8, 2016
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Poll
How are you feeling about doing A-levels?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.