Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Thank you . I am not going to drop out of the Fast Stream or anything else until I have an official job offer, which isn't likely to be for a while. If the Local Authorities don't like you there's still a chance you don't get the place, (albeit quite a low one and you can defer to be matched up with another lot of Local Authorities next year). I am just going to wait and see what happens and if I have to make a decision I will do that based on the people I meet, the sort of work I would be doing/where I would be doing it and my gut instinct basically!

ReputationRep:
    Thanks for the help everyone, thats great.

(Original post by Bil1347)
    It’s hard to tell what score would get you a HoP interview given that relatively few people apply to it and therefore not many posts make it up here. What is probably certain though is that HoP probably has to be your first choice to be in with a chance. I am assuming its number 2 at the moment. So you could risk pulling out of DS leaving HoP 1st choice and CD (guaranteed back up).

This all depends on how much you want DS…
    very true ...

(Original post by Ellsbells3032)
    When I went to the HoP open day they basically said that if you got through the FSAC and applied to HoP then you're gonna get an interview. You're very unlikely not to unless your scores are very low.
    That gives me some hope though, Ells.

I'm going to send them an email, I think. I probably won't get much information out of them, but I'll ask them if I can swap to HoP as 1, and if it will make any difference if I do. They should be able to tell me that at least.

These rumors of a different scoring system for HoP are interesting, anyone know more about this?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by munchbunch313)
    These rumors of a different scoring system for HoP are interesting, anyone know more about this?

All I can vaguely remember from the open day I went to last year is that they look at different attributes, or I guess different areas are of more importance to them. No idea what they might be, but at a wild guess maybe they're looking for attention to detail, and a firm personality? I mean you have to herd MP's around quite a bit and ensure that procedures are followed to the letter...

All supposition on my part. You could just send them an email to ask I suppose? Or if their core values, etc... are available in a publication that would probably give you a good idea...

ReputationRep:
    Grrr...they sent me my CRB form special delivery without paying the dam postage. Cost me £6 for a piece of paper i can never use again anyways! Anyone else had to pay or did they just forget?

ReputationRep:
    I think my brother is doing the NGDP scheme at the moment, something like that anyway... is that the scheme which gives you a masters in local govt?

- make sure you ask what provision they make for studying for the masters. My bro sounds massively busy doing it - all the of the study for the masters is 'in addition' to a full time role in local govt.

ReputationRep:
    Thank you welbis . I will ensure I ask that of any council I end up being interviewed by. Which council is your brother working for? I believe it's a postgraduate diploma in local government, not a Masters as such!

Also, did anyone get clarification as to when we would find out? Is it definitely the 27th onward? I was told about a month ago when I called the Fast Stream team up that we'd find out the week of the 24th. Does anyone know when their last assessment centre is? Sorry for the 20 questions, lol...

ReputationRep:
    i rang last week and they said the week of the 27th. but i dont know if it might have changed again. i hope so. I can't stand it much longer! dissertation hand-in on weds, but my focus is still on this! nightmare....

ReputationRep:
    hey, just a quick question for all the people who've already passed and got their feedback through- has anyone got anything less than 17.2ish? just trying to work out where the cut off point might be at the mo!

ReputationRep:
    Quick question for anyone who has been to FSAC - I have my FSAC this week (one of the very last ones!) and just wondered is the interview purely based around competencies or are there also the usual interview questions eg. tell me about yourself, why do you think you are a suitable candidate?, what attracts you to the civil service? etc. 40 mins seems a long time for the "tell me about a time when you did this" type questions.

ReputationRep:
    they dont have any information about you at all, so the first thing my guy was to say 'tell me about who you are and what you have been doing for the last few years'. then he went into the competency questions. no questions about 'why civil service'. might be good to incorporate that into your answers though. lots of competency questions. good luck!

ReputationRep:
    Is there anyone here who has had their Diplomatic Service Board yet. Could you offer any advice or insights?

Thanks

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by fb123)
    Quick question for anyone who has been to FSAC - I have my FSAC this week (one of the very last ones!) and just wondered is the interview purely based around competencies or are there also the usual interview questions eg. tell me about yourself, why do you think you are a suitable candidate?, what attracts you to the civil service? etc. 40 mins seems a long time for the "tell me about a time when you did this" type questions.
    They're all 'tell me about a time...' questions.... just think of a few fairly unique/uncomfortable experiences you've been in and how you coped... i think preparation is a bit unnecessary for it tbh.... just 'build a productive relationship' with the assessor, and be yourself....

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by cw6163)
    they dont have any information about you at all, so the first thing my guy was to say 'tell me about who you are and what you have been doing for the last few years'. then he went into the competency questions. no questions about 'why civil service'. might be good to incorporate that into your answers though. lots of competency questions. good luck!
    The 'tell me about who you are and what you have been doing for the last few years' question if asked, won't be assessed - is only asked as an icebreaker so you feel comfortable and get used to the situation (so don't spend more than a minute or two on it at the most!)

Only the competency questions would be assessed.. and only then on the evidence you present not on why you want to join the civil service.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by welbis)
    My advice would be to decide what your actual order of preference is and run with it - it sounds like you might want to send them a message to move your first choice to HoP, second choice to DS and third choice to central? - There's no harm asking if that is still possible, and if its what you really want to do, then there's no reason not to.
    I'm out of the country these days hence the delayed reply but for anyone reading this in future (i.e. thinking about applying this year) can I point out that if you want to join the DS it must be your first choice

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by fb123)
    As above, there are questions that don't relate to competencies but they only serve to lead to questions which do, and your suitability as a candidate will be assessed against the competencies. It's a refreshing change from normal interviews in that you don't have to have an inspirational story about why you want to join and how you're going to spend your entire working life there ready to trot out.

Therefore concentrate solely on everything you can think of you've done in your life that relates to the competencies - including dealing with negative things like failure, setbacks, working with people you don't like. Also maybe think of things relating to the competencies you acknowledge you could improve upon - they're not weaknesses, they're opportunities for development! The interviewers are (or at least mine was) good at asking more questions if they don't feel you've said enough to demonstrate something; don't get flustered if they seem unsatisfied, think of another example or a different angle. There's also an opportunity at the end to say further if you wish - use this to give more examples that relate to questions you feel you maybe didn't do justice, or even any good examples that relate to something they asked you.

ReputationRep:
    So what are we thinking folks? This Friday or next Monday?

Good luck to all and especially those (like myself) who have been amber banded since Feb or earlier. A small glimmer of hope remains!

ReputationRep:
    You took the words out of my mouth - I was gonna ask before I email them. I wish they'd update things a bit more regularly! This week's going to be painful!

ReputationRep:
    Agonising more like. Who else has been amber-banded for a while now (and been told unsuccessful for DS) btw? Think we need a bit of low-score solidarity. :-)

ReputationRep:
    I didn't apply for DS, but have been amber-banded since Feb 16th. Such fun. Has anyone been in contact with them recently?

ReputationRep:
    I'm not through to DS and amber banded since January - not brimming with confidence. I emailed them this morning and they've said the pass mark will be set sometime in the week commencing 27th, so probably another week to go I'm afraid.....

Poll
Have you ever experienced bullying?
Useful resources

Featured recruiter profiles:

HM Treasury logo

Policy adviser grad scheme

"Shape the UK’s future and your skills."

Quick link:

Unanswered public sector threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.