Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jkizer)
    If you've guaranteed your A* (In theory) then you might as well bump up your choices to some AAA universities possibly.
    You cannot get an unconditional because your still in the process of A2. In an imaginary world where Perfect competition exists, you could even achieve A*UU... so yeah.... Unconditional are for gap year/mature students usually

Just be aware that as you are doing 2 A2's and 1 AS in your final year, this may raise an eyebrow from some universities because it could almost be seen as 'lazy' even though you fast tracked your A2 maths. This happened for a student in my school a few years back, where they fast tracked A2 maths in Y12 then did A2 Fmaths and Chemistry or something in Y13.
    In our school those who do FM, have to fast track their Maths A-Level

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by A193)
    In our school those who do FM, have to fast track their Maths A-Level
    Maybe get a teacher to explain this in your reference?

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Finally decided to apply to Bristol instead of Bath, feels good to get that sorted.

ReputationRep:
    I have totally forgotten exam technique for the economics papers.....

How many paragraphs should you look at doing for 10/15/25 markers roughly?

(Maybe wrong forum, but this part of the playground is much nicer!)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by NedStark)
    Finally decided to apply to Bristol instead of Bath, feels good to get that sorted.
    What swung you towards Bristol in the end then?

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:

Firstly, you're right. We don't bite.

Secondly, I had 18 markers for OCR and I guess there was 1 opening, 2 for, 2 against, 1 conclusion. So that's 6 minimum if you're not including alternate arguments etc. Then again I suppose that's only a guideline. For my macro exam I did 11 paragraphs but that's only because I went crazy.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Epic Flawless)
    What swung you towards Bristol in the end then?

Posted from TSR Mobile
    It started with the course being more mathematical and I do want as much Maths as possible. Then I assumed there will be a better social life since it's a larger city, but I haven't even visited so it's just an assumption. :rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    Predicted A*A*A + (a in FM AS)

Gained AAAB + (A in Gen Studies) at AS - Dropping the B (Politics) and taking up FM AS this year.

Choices so far (all Economics BScs):

1.) Bath (A*AA)
    2.) Bristol "
    3.) York (AAA)
    4.) Undecided - Any good AAA recommendations out there? I'm thinking Birmingham atm.
    5.) Surrey (AAB)

On the Bath open day I was told that it would be "very likely" that I'd receive an offer, and, it being my favourite out of the five, I would love to be able to firm it!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Pro Crastination)

Gained AAAB + (A in Gen Studies) at AS - Dropping the B (Politics) and taking up FM AS this year.

1.) Bath (A*AA)
    2.) Bristol "
    3.) York (AAA)
    4.) Undecided - Any good AAA recommendations out there? I'm thinking Birmingham atm.
    5.) Surrey (AAB)

On the Bath open day I was told that it would be "very likely" that I'd receive an offer, and, it being my favourite out of the five, I would love to be able to firm it!
    Seeing as you are predicted A*A*A, why not go for something more ambitious like LSE/Cambridge/Warwick/UCL? You'd have as good a chance as any, especially as you have FM AS

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Giant)
    Seeing as you are predicted A*A*A, why not go for something more ambitious like LSE/Cambridge/Warwick/UCL? You'd have as good a chance as any, especially as you have FM AS
    Thanks but...

I have the feeling my GCSEs are going to hold me back. 3A*s and 8As, which on paper sounds good, until you hear the head of Warwick's Economics department saying: "and SOMETIMES we even give offers to people with just THREE A*s at GCSE!" I'm not sure my application is going to look fantastic when stacked against hundreds of others with 11 odd A*s at GCSE.

ReputationRep:
    Thanks but...

I have the feeling my GCSEs are going to hold me back. 3A*s and 8As, which on paper sounds good, until you hear the head of Warwick's Economics department saying: "and SOMETIMES we even give offers to people with just THREE A*s at GCSE!" I'm not sure my application is going to look fantastic when stacked against hundreds of others with 11 odd A*s at GCSE.
    same situation as you dude , parents making me apply to warwick despite me telling them hundreds of times im going to get rejected.

Complete waste of a Uni slot !

ReputationRep:

1.) Bath (A*AA)
    2.) Bristol "
    3.) York (AAA)
    5.) Surrey (AAB)

How about Edinburgh? I know they're AAA and I think it's a really nice city.

Leeds too would be a good AAA choice if you're adamant, but as has already been mentioned, I don't see the harm of another A*AA considering your predictions

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Millerman)
    got 6A* 4A and a B (in PE) at GCSE and am taking maths, further, economics and history AS now in year 12. can anyone tell me the AS grades i would need as i want to apply to oxford/cambridge, UCL and LSE.
    AAAA is probably the bare minimum to be competitive

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by thisisjokes)
    How about Edinburgh? I know they're AAA and I think it's a really nice city.

Leeds too would be a good AAA choice if you're adamant, but as has already been mentioned, I don't see the harm of another A*AA considering your predictions
    I really like the look of Edinburgh. Sadly, they only offer an MA, which I don't think involves a sizeable chunk of maths. I'd like to be taking a degree that would keep doors open for an MSc at a top university and I'm not sure the lack of maths at Edinburgh would help me with that all too much - this is the reason why I couldn't consider Exeter either :/.

Please correct me if I'm wrong. 17th best university in the world Would love to go there if they have the type of course I want.

ReputationRep:

1.) Bath (A*AA)
    2.) Bristol "
    3.) York (AAA)
    5.) Surrey (AAB)

York is AAB if you have Maths

ReputationRep:
    Thanks but...

If your UMS is solid, then give Cambridge a go. They don't really care about GCSEs as long as your UMS scores are high

ReputationRep:

What exam board are you on?

ReputationRep:

1.) Bath (A*AA)
    2.) Bristol "
    3.) York (AAA)
    5.) Surrey (AAB)

I'd say give Royal Hollwoway a go - it's really underrated, but has the 4th best Economics dept. in London (after LSE, LSE, QMUL), and you need AAA, or if you want somewhere closer to London, try Queen Mary

ReputationRep:
    Why are you guys applying to London unis when it's so expenisve?!?!?!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Alex-Torres)
    Why are you guys applying to London unis when it's so expenisve?!?!?!
    'cause they're the best (bar Oxbridge + War)

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brussels sprouts
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.