Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Doctor Who - Discussion Thread III (no untagged future spoilers) Watch

• View Poll Results: What did you think about the first storyline of series 9?
    Excellent
    0%
    Good
    0%
    Average
    0%
    Poor
    0%
    Awful
    0%

ReputationRep:
    The things I want a little clarified are is Trenzalore literally the leaking Tardis or just the tomb?

Also I may have misheard but didnt Clara say she saw all 11 faces and it was just 1 she didnt recognise so I guess that confirms he did use a regeneration up as 10?

ReputationRep:
    That was great! Cant wait for Nov 23rd!

ReputationRep:
    Totally mind****ed after that episode, literally can't wait till November now.

ReputationRep:
    The introducing graphic was stupid as ****. We can tell who John Hurt is without the stupid ****ing film credit graphic,

So is John Hurt a future doctor (possibly the 12th) because the time-stream goes right up to when he dies, so there's bound to be a future doctor regeneration in it.

ReputationRep:
    Spoiler regarding John Hurt
    Spoiler:
    Show
    I heard somewhere I believe it was an official source, that John Hurt is actually a forgotten regeneration- he is the real ninth doctor

EDIT: John Hurt himself said that he is actually a forgotten regeneration- he is the real ninth doctor.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by drbluebox)
    The things I want a little clarified are is Trenzalore literally the leaking Tardis or just the tomb?

Also I may have misheard but didnt Clara say she saw all 11 faces and it was just 1 she didnt recognise so I guess that confirms he did use a regeneration up as 10?
    This Doctor is the 11th, she saw all 11 (a bit weird that she never saw the future but whatever). The one she didn't recognise is likely the Doctor under a different name (the John Hurt character).

ReputationRep:
    I am so, so confused, but I thoroughly enjoyed it!

Wow, that was great! Bit confusing though!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by The Mad Dog)
    The introducing graphic was stupid as ****. We can tell who John Hurt is without the stupid ****ing film credit graphic,

So is John Hurt a future doctor (possibly the 12th) because the time-stream goes right up to when he dies, so there's bound to be a future doctor regeneration in it.
    I thought that because Christopher Eccleston wasn't doing it, they decided to use a Doctor that's the actual 9th Doctor?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Harrow.7)
    I think John Hurt is a doctor that went power crazy in the time war....ps I love the return of all the old doctors
    He was "the Doctor" before and after the time war, so that can't be correct.

ReputationRep:
    I thought the episode was quite good. From what I know, John Hurt stated in an article that he was the 9th doctor but he gave away the secret which is probably why he is unknown. And then there was a hype about Matt Smith therefore being the twelfth doctor. So that's the last regeneration so he could die but there's Clara who could save him.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by The Rusty Spork)
    :facepalm: That John Hurt thing at the end was terrible! The actual build up and the reveal was brilliant, the 'Introducing' graphic on the screen was horrible. Who the **** thought that that was a good idea!

The finale was good but it could have been any other episode tbh, it didn't have the feel of a 'finale' mainly because the actual finale of that storyline is going to be the anniversary episode. This was all build up.

Main problem with the episode was Clara wearing tights :sad: Still don't like the Victorian crew and I still find it hard to understand why the Doctor even likes River let alone loves her.
    I thought the John Hurt introduction was pretty good.

River is a saucy hot minx. No-one will ever say the word "spoilers" like she does.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SyedaK)
    I thought the episode was quite good. From what I know, John Hurt stated in an article that he was the 9th doctor but he gave away the secret which is probably why he is unknown. And then there was a hype about Matt Smith therefore being the twelfth doctor. So that's the last regeneration so he could die but there's Clara who could save him.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    It's twelve regenerations, 13 lives isn't it?
    • Clearing and Applications Advisor
    • Study Helper

ReputationRep:
    Clearing and Applications Advisor
    Study Helper
    That was absolutely fantastic - absolutely fantastic episode. Had me squealing like a little girl in the first 5 seconds, and could not contain my excitement as soon as it cut to Hartnell stealing the TARDIS, and was super excited for the entire intro.

Brought up a lot of questions, lots of suspense; mystery. Didn't patronise the viewer in the slightest - let you work out what was going on as it ran, or answered a question after letting the suspense really get at you first. Honestly, I wouldn't change anything about this episode if I could. Clara and The Doctor were absolutely fantastic in this episode, and Strax was hilarious once again.

Adored it. Really. Can't wait for the anniversary!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Scienceisgood)
    Spoiler:
    Show
    John Hurt is The Doctor, just a future incarnation of himself, possibly the last one

The Doctor will probably willingly die one day because he himself has stated he has lived "for too long".
    Spoiler:
    Show
    But the Doctor recognised John Hurt, so it couldn't have been a future doctor

I also found it ridiculous that Clara saw 'all 11 faces,' which implies that Matt Smith will be the last ever Doctor.
    Unless Doctor Who will become Physician Who in the future...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Zabaar)
    Spoiler:
    Show
    I heard somewhere I believe it was an official source, that John Hurt is actually a forgotten regeneration- he is the realtninth doctor
    Spoiler:
    Show
    This makes most sense to me... repeatedly under the 9th & 10th Doctors there was hints he'd done something terrible in the time war, with Tennant's last episode hinting he'd stopped the Time Lords from destroying the universe to win the war, and the Beast in the Satan Pit/Impossible planet saying he'd killed his own kind... my guess Is John Hurt is the incarnation which did it...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by The Mad Dog)

You mean the actor or the character? There is already rumours he is the Valeyard from the Doctor's final regeneration so this may be a red herring or a way to say he is the Doctor.

ReputationRep:
    My guess is that John Hurt (that's the name of the actor by the way) is a past incarnation of the Doctor who, at some point, was forced into killing someone - he said something along the lines of it not being by choice but because it was for peace? I can't think of much else that is not "in the name of the Doctor".

Plus, it must presumably be at some point in the past i.e. pre any other form of the Doctor that we've seen since Matt Smith's Doctor is aware of the John Hurt guy. If it was in the future then surely he wouldn't have known who he was?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by drbluebox)
    It's twelve regenerations, 13 lives isn't it?
    Oh yeah! *faceplams*

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    The first episode I've really really loved for a long time. Chuffed. Willl post my full reaction later

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: July 28, 2017
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brussels sprouts
    Useful resources
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.