Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

AQA GCSE English Literature Exams - 20th and 23rd May 2013 *OFFICAL THREAD* Watch

ReputationRep:
    Well wince the mac beth piece is only 25% I'd say to ensure a A you need to get high As/ lowA* in tommorows exam and the poetry exam

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Ok, that's it for Lit revision for today. Have to do some C2 & C3 Chemistry

What time are y'all going to sleep?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ryan075)
    It last came up in January 2012 so probably not
    The barn came up?:/ Wasn't it the bunkhouse?

ReputationRep:
    I'm doing the Crucible and TKAM and have been told that the Putnams or Danforth are likely to come up but does anyone know what you should say about them?
    Also do you know what is expected for the TKAM question?
    any help would be much appreciated

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by lolface32)
    Ok, that's it for Lit revision for today. Have to do some C2 & C3 Chemistry

What time are y'all going to sleep?
    Sleep? What is this 'sleep' of which you speak? I haven't slept properly for nearly two weeks.

I'm so screwed

ReputationRep:
    How long would you say an answer to one of the questions should be for the Unit 1 exam,considering we only have 1hr and 30mins??

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    I just want to say good luck everyone tomorrow!! Make sure you all go to bed early lol

ReputationRep:
    Spoiler:
    Show

(Original post by bobbricks)
    Please can someone mark this- Of Mice and Men

a) How is Curley represented in this passage? (From “at that moment a young man” to “shifted his feet nervously”)?

b) How does Steinbeck use Curley in the rest of the novella to convey attitudes towards the weak at the time it was set?

Curley enters as a ‘young man’. This can be clearly contrasted with the elderly Candy and it is clear that Curley in his youth has potential for damage. ---- how does this link in any way to how he is presented?? -- even if you did use this point you didnt expand He also “wore high heeled boots” where the terms ‘high’ and ‘boots’ provide an impression of his high status within the ranch(Where is the elaboration??). He does not seem as humble as Slim who wore a ‘crushed Stetson hat’ which suggests that Curley is not afraid to flaunt his possessions. Steinbeck may have intended to contrast Curley with the boss who was a “nice fella” unlike Curley and this is representative of how some people became “mean” at working at the ranch for too long. i would aim to do double interpretations... e.g the high heeled boots say that he want to be like slim..who is tall ??..or even talk about the irony since he is physically small..

He also “wore a work glove” in his hand; since this is an example of how Curley tried to distinguish him from others, it also indicates that he was a good worker which is surprising since he is the bosses son, the reader would have expected him to be indolent. This is an example of the harsh times of the Great Depression where people were forced to work.(if you are doing Part A+B together this needs elaborating)
    His eyes “passed over the new men” which is similar to that of a bird scanning for its prey. However, when “he glanced coldly” the juxtaposition of the two words provides the impression that automatically, he dislikes the new ranch members. Steinbeck may be portraying the lack of trust the ranch members had with each other but could also symbolize the predatory nature of the world where people would not rely upon support others. However, it is evident that Steinbeck is foreshadowing the confrontation between Lennie and Curley and has effectively managed to represent the savage nature of Curley who would soon become an impediment for George and Lennie achieving their dream.
    ^^^ good link here

Curley is described as a “mean little guy” which not only represents the predatory nature of society where Curley due to his height, has to prove himself worthy. However, in the fight scene, Curley who exclaims “no son-of-a-b**** is going to laugh at me” takes advantage of Lennie’s mental, “kid” disability and attacks him. Lennie is described as a “terrier” and the use of this anthropomorphism indicates how he is vulnerable and subject to Curley’s torture. However, Curley is afraid of Slim, despite being the boss’s son, since all he can do is “glare” at Candy despite having the strength and body advantage. Steinbeck may have portrayed this as being a situation where the strong attack the weak, and the weak attack those who are weaker. However, as Candy was under Slim’s protection, he could only attack Lennie.
    - you have only described what occurs -- there is only a few words of linking to curley '' torture'' This can be linked to the Great Depression which was a time of survival of the fittest since the itinerant worker had to fight to secure a job.- (no elaboration... talk about egoistic behaviour.. or how p)

Curley’s wife is depicted as a possession of Curley’s. For instance, she is never named in the novel and is described as being “brittle.” This adjective is used to describe something that looks strong but in fact, it is weak on the inside. This is representative of Curley’s wife who is also subject to Curley’s “glova fulla Vaseline.” Here, it seems that she is a possession of Curley and Steinbeck may have criticized this social attitude via Slim, who does not call her a “tart” or a “looloo” but rather, greets her with “hello beautiful.” Slim is someone who overlooks social restriction- in this case her gender- and shows respect to Curley’s wife. ---- no relevance at all .. always try to link back to the question... and plan on the extract ( ido that)

The reader may at first believe she was pathetic in marrying Curley but later we being to sympathise wither her. For instance, Curley’s wife is lonesome and solitary but we learn the true value of women was to be mere sex objects that were worth “two an-a half! Whilst a bottle of whisky was worth just a tiny bit less- “two bits.” This clearly shows the role of women in society was to be objects for men or to stay at home, the contrast between “two bits” and “two an’ a half” is apparent as it seems that women were not worth more than alcohol. Steinbeck has presented this using a dialogue but this also shows that brothels were seen as normal and not strange. This is also symbolism behind Curley’s wife who wore “a red dress” which foreshadows their ultimate fate and the abandoning of the American Dream, Women here are represented like Eve from the Garden of Eden where death and destruction follows as a result and although red can symbolize passion, it is a warning that she will be involved with Curley’s wife’s fate. <<< again no relevance!

i think you need to plan more and re-read the question before you start writing ... i thought i was a bit harsh.. but i guess thats the only way i got better, :P

hope that helps though

ReputationRep:
    What themes are likely to come up for OMAM and AIC tomorrow?

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ting n blah)
    Sleep? What is this 'sleep' of which you speak? I haven't slept properly for nearly two weeks.

I'm so screwed
    :eek: Don't say that. I am equally as screwed, been sleeping at 3 on a regular bases. Not even revising

ReputationRep:
    Does anyone know what themes are likely to come up for OMAM and AIC tomorrow in the higher paper? I don't know what to revise to be honest ):

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:

I'm so screwed
    Name:  Dorothy_make_no_sense.gif
Views: 99
Size:  467.5 KB

hehe....

ReputationRep:
    Quick question on Section A of the Literature Text Exam, how many pages am I expected to write? Like what would be a good structure for it? Because I honestly don't know if I'm writing too much or too little and I've found no model answers for any of the Section A texts to get an idea of how much to write or how to structure my answer and my revision guides haven't really helped, they've given tips and everything but no like set structure or anything, any help?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by yazzieee)
    I'm doing OMAM tomorrow, does anyone know which characters are likely to come up?

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Most people on the thread have predicted Slim, and the smaller chance of Curley or Candy
    Does anyone know what stories are likely to come up for Sunlight in the grass tomorrow? I haven't seen the Jan 2013 paper, so my predictions are probably miles off, and if anyone could let me know which stories were in said paper that would be great.
    The questions in Jan 2013 were how are families presented in Anil, and how is the title significant in The darkness out there
    (Original post by iceangel8)
    I just want to say good luck everyone tomorrow!! Make sure you all go to bed early lol
    Thank you lol Good luck to you too

ReputationRep:
    Does anyone know what themes are likely to come up for OMAM and AIC tomorrow in the higher paper? I don't know what to revise to be honest ):

Posted from TSR Mobile
    so you havent stated yet.... thats not good

ReputationRep:
    Hey guys, I've been prioritizing chemistry up until now and really want to do well in these literature exams, because I need as many A's as possible to get into the sixth form I want to get into. And I'm unprepared for this exam I'm doing Of Mice And Men and Kindertransport. Does anyone have any sort of advice on how to hit marks or like a guideline on how much I should write for each section?! Thanks in advance and good luck to everyone with their remaining exams!

ReputationRep:
    Would themes like conflict, nature and light, prejudice and women in society come up for OMAM in the higher paper? And also I need to know what questions come up in higher and not foundation vice versa. Thank you (:

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Natasha792)
    Nature - opening and closing settings - Lennie (Aunt Clara and imaginary Rabbit)
    Bunkhouse - "long rectangular...."
    Thank you so much! But what can I say about "Long rectangular..." ??

ReputationRep:
    Anyone got any info on slim?

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Anyone got any info on slim?

Posted from TSR Mobile
    I'd just say how he's the moral voice of the ranch: it's him that understands why George shot Lennie: "you hadda, I swear you hadda" and he's the one that tells Carlson to "take a shovel" when he shoots Candy's dog so he can bury it and Candy doesn't see the dead dog. He's also trusted by George almost immediately with the story about Weed: "you wouldn' tell? No, course you wouldn'" but he's not all that different to the other workers, he wears the same clothes as them and is shown to be a typical man working on a ranch at that time saying "it's brighter'n a ***** outside" and going to the "whore house" with the other workers. Essentially, he's just like the others but he's a "jerkline skinner", the leading worker with allusions to royalty and therefore has more respect than Curley and even the boss with most of the workers - he's the only character Curley listens to when he tells him "I think you got your hand caught in a machine," where he had to blackmail someone to ensure George and Lennie didn't lose their jobs.

Hope that helped, ask if you have any other questions!

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What's your favourite Christmas sweets?
    Useful resources

Make your revision easier

OMAM

Ultimate Of Mice And Men Thread

Plot, context, character analysis and everything in between.

Notes

Revision Hub

All our revision materials in one place

Love books

Common grammar and vocabulary problems

Get your questions asked and answered

Useful literary websitesStudy help rules and posting guidelines

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.