Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Benjy100)
    Spoiler:
    Show
    Problem 187 - THE PI CONSTRICTION - DIFFICULTY LEVEL *

Find \int\limits_0^1 {\frac{{{x^4}{{(1 - x)}^4}}}{{1 + {x^2}}}dx}

With the soul-shattering knowledge garnered from this wonderful integral in mind deduce that the almighty circle constant is less than \frac{{22}}{7}

Extension work (although I know that no one in the right mind would bother with it)

Spoiler:
    Show
    Find \int\limits_0^1 {\frac{{{x^8}{{(1 - x)}^8}(25 + 816{x^2})}}{{3164(1 + {x^2})}}dx} AND UTILIZE THIS MAMMOTH INTEGRAL TO SHOW FURTHER THAT \pi  < \frac{{355}}{{113}}
    Whilst it's a very fun looking question with a very nice picture I'm afraid we have already had this one

Edit: Oh and the asterisks are assumed knowledge, not difficulty

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jkn)
    Whilst it's a very fun looking question with a very nice picture I'm afraid we have already had this one
    Damn I haven't been following this thread often enough. Apologies, I shall delete my post and yes I thought the apple pie was a great touch haha

ReputationRep:
    Damn I haven't been following this thread often enough. Apologies, I shall delete my post and yes I thought the apple pie was a great touch haha
    It's such a shame, sorry to have to point it out :lol:

Do post another/others though

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Zakee)
    I was sort of joking about the computation part that I had calculated 100! x 99! x 98! x 97!... (If I did, then well, I might as well quit school now and just end up replacing the TI-84 plus).
    The highest my CASIO calculator can compute is 69! :sexface: (srs)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Felix Felicis)
    The highest my CASIO calculator can compute is 69! :sexface: (srs)

Same. Maths is just a nymphomaniac. :cool:

ReputationRep:
    Problem 187 **/*** \int\limits_{ - \infty }^\infty  {\frac{{\cos x}}{{{x^2} + x + 1}}} dx

Problem 188 \int\limits_0^\infty  {x{e^{ - {x^3}}}} dx

ReputationRep:
    Right yeh..chemistry...I knew I was meant to be doing something.

ReputationRep:
    Problem 189*

Not hard but it's quirky :ahee:

\displaystyle\int x e^{e^{x^{2}} +x^{2}} \ dx

ReputationRep:
    Problem 188 ** \int\limits_0^\infty  {x{e^{ - {x^3}}}} dx
    Solution 188

Let u=x^3,

\displaystyle \Rightarrow \int\limits_0^\infty {x{e^{ - {x^3}}}} dx= \frac{1}{3} \int_0^{\infty} u^{-\frac{1}{3}} e^{-u} du =\frac{1}{3} \Gamma \left(\frac{2}{3} \right) \ \square

ReputationRep:
    Solution 177

\displaystyle\int \sqrt{ \csc x - \sin x} dx = \displaystyle\int \dfrac{ \cos x}{\sqrt{ \sin x}} dx = 2 \sqrt{ \sin x } + \mathcal{C}

Solution 180

\displaystyle\int \left( \ln x \cdot  \cos x + \dfrac{ \sin x}{x} \right) dx = \ln x \cdot \sin x  + \mathcal{C}

I'll leave the rest, 183 looks like an algebraic mess :lol:
    Nice solutions bro! Why has no-one done 184? :eek: You can do it in your head it's so simple! :eek: !

Oh and 183 isn't an algebraic mess! They are all rather trivial in fact! The intention is to see if you can do 15-25 of them in 20 minutes

More fun ****:

Problem 190*

Evaluate \displaystyle\int_0^{\frac{1}{2}  } (\arcsin(x))^2 dx

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jkn)
    Nice solutions bro!
    Cheers!

(Original post by Jkn)
    Why has no-one done 184? :eek:
    (Original post by Jkn)
    You can do it in your head it's so simple! :eek: !
    Precisely this

(Original post by Jkn)
    Oh and 183 isn't an algebraic mess! They are all rather trivial in fact! The intention is to see if you can do 15-25 of them in 20 minutes

I know They're all quite nice, short and snappy, I could do them all now but I figured I'd let other people try them They're quite nice little integrals to do, not like some of the beasts that have been posted on here that leave you scratching your head for hours

(Original post by Jkn)
    More fun ****:

Problem 190*

Solution 190

Let x = \sin \theta :

\displaystyle\int_{0}^{ \frac{1}{2}} \arcsin^{2} x \ dx = \displaystyle\int_{0}^{ \frac{\pi}{6}} \theta^{2} \cos \theta \ d \theta \overset{ \text{IBP}}= \dfrac{\pi^{2}}{72} + \dfrac{ \sqrt{3} \pi}{6} - 1

ReputationRep:
    Cheers!

Precisely this

I know They're all quite nice, short and snappy, I could do them all now but I figured I'd let other people try them They're quite nice little integrals to do, not like some of the beasts that have been posted on here that leave you scratching your head for hours

Solution 190

Let x = \sin \theta :

\displaystyle\int_{0}^{ \frac{1}{2}} \arcsin^{2} x \ dx = \displaystyle\int_{0}^{ \frac{\pi}{6}} \theta^{2} \cos \theta \ d \theta \overset{ \text{IBP}}= \dfrac{\pi^{2}}{72} + \dfrac{ \sqrt{3} \pi}{6} - 1
    Mmm, they are a little too trivial for my liking though. They are more exercises than anything else I'd say and, apart from a few of the more difficult ones that have a very specific route, you tend to be able to do them with the first substitution you try :lol:

****, I've got 3 exams at the start of the week... I should probably gtfo this forum

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jkn)
    Mmm, they are a little too trivial for my liking though. They are more exercises than anything else I'd say and, apart from a few of the more difficult ones that have a very specific route, you tend to be able to do them with the first substitution you try :lol:

****, I've got 3 exams at the start of the week... I should probably gtfo this forum
    True, the substitution's usually pretty obvious as well, they're just slightly harder than A-level I suppose the time pressure is the hard part :lol:
    Same, I have 2 next week and I've been procrastinating so much over half term with this stuff :lol:

ReputationRep:
    Solution 190
    Substituting u=\arcsin(x), then x=\displaystyle\int_0^{\frac{1}{  2}  } (\arcsin(x))^2 dx = \int_0^{\frac{\pi}{6}}u^2\cos(u)  du = \left[ u^2\sin(u)+2u\cos(u)-2\sin(u) \right]_0^{\frac{\pi}{6}} = \frac{\pi^2+12\sqrt{3}\pi}{72}-1

Also, how to format latex properly? Like, line breaks and aligned equals signs and ****

Edit: fuuu I'm too slow

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jkn)
    Nice solutions bro! Why has no-one done 184? :eek: You can do it in your head it's so simple! :eek: !

More fun ****:

Problem 190*

\int^\frac{1}{2}_0 (arcsinx)^2 dx = \frac{\pi^2}{72}-\int^\frac{1}{2}_0\frac{2xarcsin  x}{\sqrt{1-x^2}} dx = \frac{\pi^2}{72}+\frac{\pi\sqrt{  3}}{6} - 1

God typing LaTeX on a mobile is tedious.

ReputationRep:
    Solution 187

x\mapsto -x and adding both integrals:

\displaystyle\int_{-\infty}^{\infty} \frac{\cos x\,dx}{x^2+x+1}=2\int_{0}^{ \infty} \frac{(x^2+1)\cos x\,dx}{x^4+x^2+1}

\displaystyle \begin{aligned} f(t)=2\int_{0}^{ \infty} \frac{(x^2+1)\cos tx\,dx}{x^4+x^2+1} \Rightarrow \mathcal{L}\{f(t)\}&=2 \int_0^{ \infty} e^{-st}\int_{0}^{\infty} \frac{(x^2+1)\cos tx\,dx\, dt}{x^4+x^2+1}\\&=\int_0  ^{\infty}\frac{2(x^2+1)}{x^4+x^2  +1}\int_0^{  \infty}e^{-st}\cos tx\,dt\,dx\\&=\int_0^{\infty} \frac{2(x^2+1)}{x^4+x^2+1} \left(\frac{s}{x^2+s^2} \right)dx\\&=\frac{\pi}{3}\left(  \frac{2\sqrt{3}s+3}{s^2+\sqrt{3}  s+1}\right)\\&=\frac{2\pi}{\sqrt  {3}}\left(\frac{s+\frac{\sqrt{3}  }{2}}{\left(s+\frac{\sqrt{3}}{2}  \right)^2+\frac{1}{4}}\right) \Rightarrow \mathcal{L}^{-1}\left\{f(t)\right\}=\frac{2\pi  \cos \left(\frac{t}{2}\right)}{e^{ \frac{\sqrt{3}}{2}t}\sqrt{3}} \end{  aligned}

Hence \displaystyle\int_{-\infty}^{\infty} \frac{\cos x\,dx}{x^2+x+1}=\frac{2\pi\cos \left(\frac{1}{2}\right)}{e^{ \frac{\sqrt{3}}{2}}\sqrt{3}}

(before bananarama unleashes the swears, line 3 to 4 is done by splitting into partial fractions and completing the square etc. It's relatively messy and tedious so I omitted it).

Problem 188**

\displaystyle \int\limits_0^\infty  {x{e^{ - {x^3}}}} dx
    Now this is what I call mislabeling.

ReputationRep:
    Shotgun 183.
    I may be some time typing up the tex

ReputationRep:
    Solution 183:

I =\displaystyle \int \dfrac{1}{\sqrt{x} (\sqrt[4]{x}+1)^{10}} dx
    Let
    u=\sqrt[4]{x} \Rightarrow dx = 4u^3 du

\Rightarrow I = 4\displaystyle \int \dfrac{u}{(u+1)^{10}} \ dx

\ p = u \Rightarrow p' =1

\ q' = \dfrac{1}{(u+1)^{10}} \Rightarrow q = -\dfrac{1}{9(u+1)^{9}}

\Rightarrow I =- \dfrac{u}{(u+1)^{9}}+ \displaystyle \int\dfrac{1}{(u+1)^{9}}+ \mathcal{C}

\Rightarrow I =- \dfrac{u}{(u+1)^{9}} -\dfrac{1}{72(u+1)^{8}}+\mathcal{  C}

\Rightarrow I =-\dfrac{\sqrt[4]{x}}{(\sqrt[4]{x}+1)^{9}} - \dfrac{1}{(\sqrt[4]{x}+1)^{8}}+\mathcal{C}

\Rightarrow I =- \dfrac{1}{18}\left( \dfrac{9\sqrt[4]{x}+1}{(\sqrt[4]{x}+1)^{9}}\right)+ \mathcal{C}

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Lord of the Flies)
    (before bananarama unleashes the swears, line 3 to 4 is done by splitting into partial fractions and completing the square etc. It's relatively messy and tedious so I omitted it).

Now this is what I call mislabeling.
    :rofl: That's fair enough Explaining is fine.

Agreed.

ReputationRep:
    Solution 179:
    I = \displaystyle\int^{\frac{\pi}{2}  }_0 \dfrac{\sin(4x)}{\sin(x)} \ dx = \displaystyle\int^{\frac{\pi}{2}  }_0 \dfrac{2\sin(2x)\cos(2x)}{\sin(x  )} \dx

\Rightarrow I = \displaystyle\int^{\frac{\pi}{2}  }_0 4\cos(x)\cos(2x) \ dx
    Use product to sum:
    \Rightarrow I = 2\displaystyle\int^{\frac{\pi}{2  }}_0 \cos(x) + \cos(3x) \ dx 

I = \dfrac{2}{3} \left[(3\sin(x) +\sin(3x) \right]^{\frac{\pi}{2}}_0 = \frac{4}{3}

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brussels sprouts
    Useful resources

Make your revision easier

Maths

Maths Forum posting guidelines

Not sure where to post? Read the updated guidelines here

Equations

How to use LaTex

Writing equations the easy way

Student revising

Study habits of A* students

Top tips from students who have already aced their exams

Study Planner

Create your own Study Planner

Never miss a deadline again

Polling station sign

Thinking about a maths degree?

Chat with other maths applicants

Can you help? Study help unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.