Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    What's a similarity between hadrons and leptons? The only thing I could think of was conservation of lepton number and conservation of baryon number. Also how many marks for you think I would lose?

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by cyfer)
    This argument is so ****ing stupid.

Electrons and protons also have mass, we don't get crushed by them do we?

Plus photons have momentum, so they can still cause impact

Seriously. Don't argue something if you don't genuinely know the answer

Dude calm down! For our exam photons have no mass, might not be strictly true but they have no mass. Also your argument about electrons and protons; they do push down on us, that causes pressure

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by amar96)
    Light are photons, If photons have mass we should be crushed by the weight of light... either they dont have mass or were all made of diamond hmmm
    e=mc2 e=hf

m=hf/c2 ... you can approximate all photons as 'bullets' each carrying a mass of m = hf/c^2 and traveling at the speed of light.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Punjabi2Chainz)
    What's a similarity between hadrons and leptons? The only thing I could think of was conservation of lepton number and conservation of baryon number. Also how many marks for you think I would lose?

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Both have antiparticles
    Both have mass
    Both decay/can interact via the weak force
    Both (can) have (a discrete amount of) charge

Didn't get the conservation laws one though! Damn

ReputationRep:
    For all of a question I did 1 d.p./ 2s.f, because the data in the question was. However loads of my answers on my calculator gave me a 2 dp number with a 5 as the second dp, so I rounded all my answers up. Will I lose any marks for this?

ReputationRep:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Both experience the weak interaction

ReputationRep:

Posted from TSR Mobile
    I said that both can interact via the electromagnetic force and gravity, as there exist hadrons and leptons with charge, and they all have mass.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by swagadon)
    the Oscilloscope question was 16V per division and 2ms per division, and it was out of 3 marks, does anyone know what the 3rd mark was for?
    zeroing the oscilloscope ?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by pilotluke1)
    Yeah that question for A I put a down quark.
    i just put d... will i still get the mark?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by EllBailz)
    Dude calm down! For our exam photons have no mass, might not be strictly true but they have no mass. Also your argument about electrons and protons; they do push down on us, that causes pressure
    Haha sorry.

Yes they don't have mass. They have momentum. I never said they have mass.

I have no idea where you're going with electrons and protons

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by EllBailz)
    Both experience the weak interaction
    No they don't. Hadrons -strong interaction. Leptons-weak interaction. :confused:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Goods)
    zeroing the oscilloscope ?
    Turning timebase on?
    Adjusting y/x gain?
    Connecting oscilloscope input to a power source?
    Putting oscilloscope in parallel with resistor?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by cyfer)
    2. One for working, one for the answer

I hope to God you're trolling. How did you even attempt this paper with such an ignorant outlook?
    No they don't have electrons or protons.
    No, there is a different equation for the momentum of a photon, based on planck's constant
    the photon is governed NOT by its mass or its velocity but by its relation to frequency e=hf so its so called 'momentum' does not create the impact but the frequency of light it is coming with

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by StalkeR47)
    No they don't. Hadrons -strong interaction. Leptons-weak interaction. :confused:
    Yes they do.

Hadrons DECAY via the weak force, so they experience it. They interact with the strong force though.

Leptons only interact via the weak force.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by swagadon)
    the Oscilloscope question was 16V per division and 2ms per division, and it was out of 3 marks, does anyone know what the 3rd mark was for?
    For a previous 6 mark oscilloscope question you got a mark for saying 'connect it to the source' so I put that. Don't think it was right though :/

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by cyfer)
    Both have antiparticles
    Both have mass
    Both decay/can interact via the weak force
    Both (can) have (a discrete amount of) charge

Didn't get the conservation laws one though! Damn
    Oh my God, why couldn't I think of that. Do you think I'll get any marks for the conservation laws??

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by StalkeR47)
    They can actually decay via the weak nuclear force. There's nothing on the spec about it, but the weak interaction acts on all fermions - particle with half integer spin, so that's leptons, neutrinos, hadrons etc.

ReputationRep:
    i think it was mainly for the time base setting being 2ms/div and possibly for saying time period of 2 waves is 20ms

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by cyfer)
    Yes they do.

Hadrons DECAY via the weak force, so they experience it. They interact with the strong force though.

Leptons only interact via the weak force.
    Now it is clear. I thought you said they both experience the same force.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by GeneralOJB)
    They can actually decay via the weak nuclear force. There's nothing on the spec about it, but the weak interaction acts on all fermions - particle with half integer spin, so that's leptons, neutrinos, hadrons etc.
    I put both feel weak force too...not sure if it will get the mark though

Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.