The Student Room Group

This discussion is now closed.

Check out other Related discussions

Mental Health Support Society Mk X

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1160
Original post by Cornelius
Does everyone experience sexual side effects from SSRIs? (certain SSRIs do not cause them though) Is it possible for the sexual side effects to subside whilst you're on them? or do you have to stop taking them?

I've read some very scary things about sexual side effects (becoming permanent even after treatment is stopped) and I'm getting extremely worried about it :s-smilie:.

I do feel better on them but if the above is true then it's not worth ruining your entire life... (not that I was doing great before- obviously - but I was at least satisfied with myself on that particular area)

Is Citalopram one of those? I have noticed problems while on that.

Original post by Nut.
Jesus Christ.
If you were a cleaner and you walked in on somebody who was only half dressed (talking underwear only here peeps, technically not even half) and consequently hiding behind their wardrobe door, would you:

a) apologise and say you'd come back later, making sure to lock the door behind you

or

b) talk to the person for at least 5 minutes and try to get them to describe which bits of the kitchen have their food in, and which bits have leftover stuff from people who have left?

Personally I'd be a solid a) every time. But not my cleaner, nope.

:eek: What a ****ing bastard :angry: hope you are feeling ok right now :hugs:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by HmMusic
My friend is back in hospital again. I've been out of signal for a day and found out today. She went in on Sunday but I thought it was just a checkup. But apparently she is dangerously close to death now. Nothing matters any more. She needs to fight and have all the support. Not me. I really hope she is ok

:hugs: Best of luck to you and your friend.
Reply 1162
Does everyone experience sexual side effects from SSRIs? (certain SSRIs do not cause them though) Is it possible for the sexual side effects to subside whilst you're on them? or do you have to stop taking them?

I've read some very scary things about sexual side effects (becoming permanent even after treatment is stopped) and I'm getting extremely worried about it :s-smilie:.

I do feel better on them but if the above is true then it's not worth ruining your entire life... (not that I was doing great before- obviously - but I was at least satisfied with myself on that particular area)

I'm female, but for me they go away pretty much as soon as I'm off whatever SSRI. Have had this side effect from pretty much every AD I've been on (maybe with the exception of mirtazapine) but depression is severe so I'd rather be treating it than not. It's worth looking into other options though (e.g. mirtazapine isn't known for sexual side effects like SSRIs are).

Original post by Nut.
Jesus Christ.
If you were a cleaner and you walked in on somebody who was only half dressed (talking underwear only here peeps, technically not even half) and consequently hiding behind their wardrobe door, would you:

a) apologise and say you'd come back later, making sure to lock the door behind you

or

b) talk to the person for at least 5 minutes and try to get them to describe which bits of the kitchen have their food in, and which bits have leftover stuff from people who have left?

:jumphug:
Original post by Tyrion_Lannister
I've just started them but haven't noticed anything. Then again I am a girl, so it might be different for genders.

This is one of the things that really put me off SSRIs for ages, didn't want to improve one aspect of my life and kill another. Which one are you on?

Sertraline.

avhhs
Is Citalopram one of those? I have noticed problems while on that

No see above. Did your symptoms go away after you stopped taking it?

I am not extremely bothered if the symptoms are only temporary. But I am extremely bothered if I'm gonna have sexual problems for the rest of my life because of a stupid pill. I read two papers on this (note, I think it's extremely rare but there's not much evidence either way) but I am already worried about it (and I'd be panicking if I wasn't on sertraline tbh - so it works in that respect)
Original post by SciFiRory
okay so my mum thinks my vomiting isnt due to my AD's but might be some kind of bug or something :s-smilie:

which makes sense cause online it doesnt say vomiting is a side effect of withdrawl or not taking my meds.

means I can't do anything to feel better but drink water and hope I stop being sick :frown:

I vomited when withdrawing from Sertraline, and my GP said it was because of that.

Original post by HmMusic
My friend is back in hospital again. I've been out of signal for a day and found out today. She went in on Sunday but I thought it was just a checkup. But apparently she is dangerously close to death now. Nothing matters any more. She needs to fight and have all the support. Not me. I really hope she is ok

:jumphug: :jumphug: I'm really sorry to hear this, and I really hope you're doing as well as can be under the circumstances sweetie. You do need support as well though! Feel free to PM me, or I'll be on Skype. :console:

I experience sexual side effects on both of the SSRIs I was (sexual side effects on SSRIs is fairly common). On the first (prozac), I switched off it fairly quickly, with Escitalopram, then I was on it for about 6 months iirc, and the sexual side effects didn't fade while I was on them I'm afraid. Afaik I don't have any permanent effect (hard to tell as on a different drug now which I think is still having some effect, although only minor). I believe that in other cases the problems have faded while continuing on the drug just as with any other side effect though.

There have been cases of people reporting continuing difficulty after coming off the drugs, yes - not that much is known about the permanent effect though. Best thing to do is talk to your GP or psychiatrist about this. If whichever SSRI you are on is making you feel better, possibly discuss moving to Escitalopram - it has less side effects than the rest of the SSRIs (while still having the same method of action, so hopefully would still make you feel better) - I certainly had less problems on Escitalopram than Prozac. However, if all you are worried about is the possible permanent effect - may be best to switch and see if the sexual side effects fade on the drug you are on; the problem is it is hard to give you advice based on the permanent effect as so little is known about it.

Original post by Nut.
Jesus Christ.

or

Lucky cleaner :tongue: :sexface:

But yes, option a would certainly be the expected action.

Original post by avhhs
Is Citalopram one of those? I have noticed problems while on that.

:eek: What a ****ing bastard :angry: hope you are feeling ok right now :hugs:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Citalopram is an SSRI, yes.
Original post by rmhumphries
I experience sexual side effects on both of the SSRIs I was (sexual side effects on SSRIs is fairly common). On the first (prozac), I switched off it fairly quickly, with Escitalopram, then I was on it for about 6 months iirc, and the sexual side effects didn't fade while I was on them I'm afraid. Afaik I don't have any permanent effect (hard to tell as on a different drug now which I think is still having some effect, although only minor). I believe that in other cases the problems have faded while continuing on the drug just as with any other side effect though.

There have been cases of people reporting continuing difficulty after coming off the drugs, yes - not that much is known about the permanent effect though. Best thing to do is talk to your GP or psychiatrist about this. If whichever SSRI you are on is making you feel better, possibly discuss moving to Escitalopram - it has less side effects than the rest of the SSRIs (while still having the same method of action, so hopefully would still make you feel better) - I certainly had less problems on Escitalopram than Prozac. However, if all you are worried about is the possible permanent effect - may be best to switch and see if the sexual side effects fade on the drug you are on; the problem is it is hard to give you advice based on the permanent effect as so little is known about it.

Thx for the reply. I already have a few side effects - I'm somewhat dizzy and I don't sleep well (I haven't slept well in many years but nothing as bad as this) - but the worst of them is the sexual thing because, though it might not a major problem right now, I can't imagine what I'd do if it turns out it's permanent.

The more I read people's actual experiences though the better I feel. So far, very few people have reported permanent problems. The conclusion of one of the papers I read is very disturbing (basically, the permanent effects are not well researched and many practitioners are not even aware of them)
(edited 10 years ago)
so im living in a house where its 1 rule for me and 1 rule for everyone else, its sports awards tonight so everyones going out, and by the looks of things everyones staying here, and i just know theyll be noisey :frown: i dont mind them stopping here but i havnt been asked, i used to get asked if it was ok. i just give up i really do :cry2:

Original post by asdfgah
If you're underweight or borderline, it's definitely important to get your daily quota of calories. If not, tbh this sounds a lot more like depression or anxiety related appetite loss than an ED. I have found with that that focusing on food makes me less and less hungry (if you're already not feeling like food, thinking about it just makes it worse and worse). I'd recommend just not overthinking. Eat some cereal or something easy when you can, but don't obsess over whether or not you are hungry or eating enough because it'll probably just make it worse. Unless your weight is low already skipping a meal now and then is unlikely to be dangerous, and you might find it easier the less pressure you put on yourself - I know I do.

i know its not ED stuff for me, but i didnt want to trigger anyone, i probably should have worded it better, my brains pretty broken currently :frown: even watching people eat or talk about food isnt making my stomach grumble, i just have no appetite, so have to force myself to eat atleast once a day :s-smilie: been going on deffo since monday, i just dont want to suddenly turn the other way and binge :s-smilie:

Original post by Tyrion_Lannister

Spoiler

citalprom ruined my appetite at first, and its ruining it again, but hopefully im going to try and get off it in a month, hopefully anyway!
Thx for the reply. I already have a few side effects - I'm somewhat dizzy and I don't sleep well (I haven't slept well in many years but nothing as bad as this) - but the worst of them is the sexual thing because, though it might not a major problem right now, I can't imagine what I'd do if it turns out it's permanent.

The more I read people's actual experiences though the better I feel. So far, very few people have reported permanent problems. The conclusion of one of the papers I read is very disturbing (basically, the permanent effects are not well researched and many practitioners are not even aware of them)

How long have you been on the meds?

There seems to be enough evidence to point towards a problem, however as you said, it appears to be a fairly rare problem compared to the number of people on SSRIs (and is a very small percent of the people who experience some kind of sexual problem while on the medication). Hopefully at some point more research will be carried out which can help understand and fix the problem.

I believe that on the basis of current evidence, then in some cases while the effect persists after ending treatment with SSRIs, it does wear off at a later point. There are also possible links to SSRI discontinuation syndrome - where SSRIs are stopped abruptly - so it is possible that when you come off SSRIs, as long as you do it gradually it reduces the risk.
How long have you been on the meds?

There seems to be enough evidence to point towards a problem, however as you said, it appears to be a fairly rare problem compared to the number of people on SSRIs (and is a very small percent of the people who experience some kind of sexual problem while on the medication). Hopefully at some point more research will be carried out which can help understand and fix the problem.

I believe that on the basis of current evidence, then in some cases while the effect persists after ending treatment with SSRIs, it does wear off at a later point. There are also possible links to SSRI discontinuation syndrome - where SSRIs are stopped abruptly - so it is possible that when you come off SSRIs, as long as you do it gradually it reduces the risk.

Less than a week :eek:.

I know it's a miniscule percentage in the studies cited (I think there are 7-10 verified cases?) but the problem is, it hasn't really been studied (it's quite easy to use a particular kind of methodology to conceal all sorts of problems) so we don't really know how many people suffer from it. E.g. there is a yahoo group with 3000+ plus members...
(edited 10 years ago)
Less than a week :eek:.

I know it's a miniscule percentage in the studies cited (I think there are 7-10 verified cases?) but the problem is, it hasn't really been studied (it's quite easy to use a particular kind of methodology to conceal all sorts of problems). There is a yahoo group with 3000+ plus members...

Hmm, you should talk to your GP - it may be worth you switching to a different SSRI, I know that some of them are less likely to mess with your sleep or could improve it.

True, but still that has to be a tiny percent of those who have been on SSRIs at some point. I am not saying it isn't a problem, I just think it is a fairly low chance of occurring problem. It needs more research, but I personally don't think (at this point) it is worth not using SSRIs because of the risk of this problem.
Hmm, you should talk to your GP - it may be worth you switching to a different SSRI, I know that some of them are less likely to mess with your sleep or could improve it.

True, but still that has to be a tiny percent of those who have been on SSRIs at some point. I am not saying it isn't a problem, I just think it is a fairly low chance of occurring problem. It needs more research, but I personally don't think (at this point) it is worth not using SSRIs because of the risk of this problem.

Damn, thx for your interest :h:

I will certainly talk to my psychiatrist about it. It was supposed to help with insomnia but I know it might get worse before it gets better. So I'm sure he's gonna say I'll have to wait. But either way I am used to not sleeping well. What I am not used to is sexual dysfunction (apparently, part of the reason this is such an insufficiently researched topic is because people are not very open about it - paradoxically, I personally don't mind being open about it even with strangers)
Damn, thx for your interest :h:

I will certainly talk to my psychiatrist about it. It was supposed to help with insomnia but I know it might get worse before it gets better. So I'm sure he's gonna say I'll have to wait. But either way I am used to not sleeping well. What I am not used to is sexual dysfunction (apparently, part of the reason this is such an insufficiently researched topic is because people are not very open about it - paradoxically, I personally don't mind being open about it even with strangers)

No problem :h:

Aye - the problem with a lot of drugs like this is they have possible side effects either way - for instance it can cause weight gain or weight loss. It can be a bit hit and miss to what side effects you get and which you don't in many cases. You are right - people not reporting the sexual issues is a big part in it not being listed or understood.
Someone came to my door and was persistent and rang the bell three times. I hid under the sofa. Now they're back, keep pressing it for ages. LEAVE. ME. ALONE. :cry:
Reply 1174
Deflated sums me up today. I feel like a popped balloon and I feel bad for feeling deflated because it's nothing compared to what some people have to face each and I know it's bad to compare and I know I shouldn't but I guess when you're okay for the majority of the time, you can't help but do it.
Reply 1176
Nearly time to come home. Everything feels like a dream today because of my friend. Can't wait to go home.
Reply 1177
Think I'm going itno panic attack for no reason at all. No trigger, not flashbacky, in my room, alone, etc. But my breathing is getting faster and head spinning and chest starting to feel really really tight and I'm not sure why and can't take diaz again so trying to just count breathing but it's trying to speed itself up. Don't feel good.
Reply 1178
Just been to the doctors. Not seen the doctor because apparently he was off sick and they called me YESTERDAY to leave a message to tell me that. Which I have no idea what they're on about because I never got any message. So yeah stayed up all ****ing day for NOTHING and sat in a doctors waiting room for half an hour trying not to have an anxiety attack, sweating like a goddamn pig. Upshot is I have to go back and do the whole rigmarole again next Wednesday. It took me a hell of a lot to get up the courage to actually go and see someone about my ****ty depression and anxiety only to have it ****ed royally up. Just my luck. -.-
Does everyone experience sexual side effects from SSRIs

I experienced anorgasmia when on Fluoxetine... took me a whole weekend to figure that one out.

Latest