The Student Room Group
Waterfront bar, King's College
King's College London
London

King's College Medicine applicants 2014 entry

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Razer_M
Mines on Tuesday also, 3.40pm...when is yours?
I haven't thought about the essay much, I think practicing answers to standard questions will hopefully give me enough knowledge on the doctors responsibilities ..(he says)

Ah mine's 4.20! Haha sounds like a good idea! Probably will be more helpful to focus on the actual interview as that's what counts more! Good luck!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Waterfront bar, King's College
King's College London
London
Reply 1161
Original post by Dr. Aco Malfoy
Hey dudes and dudettes! I was wondering what ethical issues have been around in the last 12-18 months??

I dont want to know the exact ethical issues anyone was given (people may have been given different ones anyway), or seem like I CBA doing the research myself.

I have looked at all the main websites extensively and looked around euthanasia etc. as a good basis but no issues have stood out to me as a possible article at interview yet :frown:

Please help! I have an interview in ten days!! Agh

Posted from TSR Mobile

read 'a short introduction to medical ethics', you can buy it on amazon and its pretty cheap :smile:
Reply 1162
Original post by sidmanny
Good luck with the interview result!
Sorry I've got a couple of questions, not about the interview itself though :smile:

- Did you take a copy of your interview letter with you? It's a pdf on the portal. I read that we're meant to print it out, but I can't open mine :frown: I've emailed and messaged them asking about it but no reply. Does it have any crucial info on it/ what does it say?

- Was it an essay or questionnaire you had to do in the end?

yeah i did take a copy, and i cant remember exactly but i think it just outlines the basic stuff like what time it is, and the location! try calling admissions, its what i usually do as its more direct. and there's an essay beforehand :smile:
Original post by Dandaman9999
Yeah mine is on Thursday so I have slightly longer! The essay is only used for comparisons between very similar candidates so I'm not as worried about it (as long as the interview itself goes well!), but obviously still don't want to fail :tongue: I'm more worried about the actual interview and the thought of me messing it up is scaring me :frown:

Ah pretty close then!
Yeah I guess the interview is harder because you have more time to think when you write! And if you say something silly/you didn't mean to say, you can't un-say it!
But oh well, everyone is in the same boat! POSITIVITYYYY :biggrin:
Original post by itsmagic
Ah pretty close then!
Yeah I guess the interview is harder because you have more time to think when you write! And if you say something silly/you didn't mean to say, you can't un-say it!
But oh well, everyone is in the same boat! POSITIVITYYYY :biggrin:

Haha I guess so, I'm just worried I would do exactly that and say something terrible! DO you know how much we write for the essay?
Original post by CW84
Hi guys, have any graduates applying to the a100 course received interview invites?

I am graduating next year and applied for A100 but i have not heard from the kings:L
Reply 1166
Original post by franngu
Any internationals here with interviews yet?!?!

WHEN WILL OUR TURN COME :frown:

Posted from TSR Mobile

I know, I keep checking everyday but nothing!! I haven't heard back from any other schools yet either! :frown:
Original post by lixto
yeah i did take a copy, and i cant remember exactly but i think it just outlines the basic stuff like what time it is, and the location! try calling admissions, its what i usually do as its more direct. and there's an essay beforehand :smile:

Virtual hug of thanks for answering the question on is it a questionaire or an essay ;-)

Posted from TSR Mobile
Does Kings consider all aspects of application, i.e. the achieved/ predicted grades, ps, reference and the interview for giving an offer? Or all those who are called for interviews viewed at a level plane? I know Durham does that, once you are shortlisted for an interview, they no longer look at the grades or ps.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by great life
Does Kings consider all aspects of application, i.e. the achieved/ predicted grades, ps, reference and the interview for giving an offer? Or all those who are called for interviews viewed at a level plane? I know Durham does that, once you are shortlisted for an interview, they no longer look at the grades or ps.

Posted from TSR Mobile

I really hope it's everything

Posted from TSR Mobile
Hey

Original post by mushroomfreak
I am graduating next year and applied for A100 but i have not heard from the kings:L

Original post by CW84
Hi guys, have any graduates applying to the a100 course received interview invites?

I'm a graduate and I will have my A100 interview this Wednesday.

2.1 Biomedical Sciences and 780 for the UKCAT
Hello everyone! Congrats to all who have interviews at Kings and elsewhere! I was wondering if anyone could help me (obviously if I cant work this out then I probably shouldn't be applying to study medicine!! but anyway).
I'm a Grad applicant to Kings and I only got my stupid myApplication log in on Thursday (not sure what happened) and I've got two messages saying I haven't provided an academic reference. I didn't realise we had to provide an additional reference to the UCAS one and now I'm panicking big time as they want it by noon on Monday 9th. I'v obviously emailed and messaged them about 7 million times asking where my other supervisor can upload this or email it to (not even sure he'll have time to write one to be honest but I can always phone him and beg) and I spent all Friday trying to ring every single phone number on the website but couldn't get through to anyone.
Obviously this is all my fault for a) not realising I didn't have a log in for the portal and b) not realising about the second reference but I was wondering if anyone could tell me where my other supervisor can send his reference to? I'll probably be rejected anyway but it seems silly for it just to be because of something like this!! Any help or advice is so much appreciated!! xxxx
Reply 1172
Original post by bells8840
Hello everyone! Congrats to all who have interviews at Kings and elsewhere! I was wondering if anyone could help me (obviously if I cant work this out then I probably shouldn't be applying to study medicine!! but anyway).
I'm a Grad applicant to Kings and I only got my stupid myApplication log in on Thursday (not sure what happened) and I've got two messages saying I haven't provided an academic reference. I didn't realise we had to provide an additional reference to the UCAS one and now I'm panicking big time as they want it by noon on Monday 9th. I'v obviously emailed and messaged them about 7 million times asking where my other supervisor can upload this or email it to (not even sure he'll have time to write one to be honest but I can always phone him and beg) and I spent all Friday trying to ring every single phone number on the website but couldn't get through to anyone.
Obviously this is all my fault for a) not realising I didn't have a log in for the portal and b) not realising about the second reference but I was wondering if anyone could tell me where my other supervisor can send his reference to? I'll probably be rejected anyway but it seems silly for it just to be because of something like this!! Any help or advice is so much appreciated!! xxxx

Hey -

sorry to hear about that - such a pain when technology gets the better of the application process :frown:

Which KCL program have you applied for?

I'm a current UG student so have submitted a grad application to their GPEP 4 year course to which I have recently received an interview invitation. The reason for the background is that I wasn't asked for any additional references as I got a member of my current university (a lecturer) to do my UCAS reference therefore it was an academic one.

Is the reference on your UCAS form an academic one or a personal one? Most med courses say that if you are either currently in academia or graduated within the past x years or so (usually around 2) then your reference on UCAS should be an academic one.

The reason no-one is answering the phone (and I have personal experience of this as I tried to get in contact with them through the portal and on the phone all of Friday) is that they're moving buildings and having issues with the phone line. I would have thought the best thing to call the switchboard and be put through to the general admission department so that you can have an actual conversation with someone.

I have seen on various threads that some grads (but not others) were asked to upload their UKCAT scores to the portal so KCL are obviously having some technical/organisational difficulties. Hopefully this would mean they are more understanding to your situation.

A backup option is to send an email to kings via the portal with your reference attached to it then at least they have it either way.

I'm not sure if any of that has been much help but thought I'd pass on any information I had as your situation isn't really your fault!!!

Good luck with it all :smile:
Original post by bells8840

Just on the safe side - do you think you can coax your supervisor into emailing an academic reference to:
[email protected]
which is their general admissions email for medicine.

On Monday, call in again to let them know what you've done. Even if it turns out that your supervisor sent in to the wrong email address, at least you can prove you've done something before the deadline!
Hi everyone I'm new to tsr had an interview on the 6th didn't think it went well because I was so nervous. I'm really scared :frown:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by jam-jam
Hey -

sorry to hear about that - such a pain when technology gets the better of the application process :frown:

Which KCL program have you applied for?

I'm a current UG student so have submitted a grad application to their GPEP 4 year course to which I have recently received an interview invitation. The reason for the background is that I wasn't asked for any additional references as I got a member of my current university (a lecturer) to do my UCAS reference therefore it was an academic one.

Is the reference on your UCAS form an academic one or a personal one? Most med courses say that if you are either currently in academia or graduated within the past x years or so (usually around 2) then your reference on UCAS should be an academic one.

The reason no-one is answering the phone (and I have personal experience of this as I tried to get in contact with them through the portal and on the phone all of Friday) is that they're moving buildings and having issues with the phone line. I would have thought the best thing to call the switchboard and be put through to the general admission department so that you can have an actual conversation with someone.

I have seen on various threads that some grads (but not others) were asked to upload their UKCAT scores to the portal so KCL are obviously having some technical/organisational difficulties. Hopefully this would mean they are more understanding to your situation.

A backup option is to send an email to kings via the portal with your reference attached to it then at least they have it either way.

I'm not sure if any of that has been much help but thought I'd pass on any information I had as your situation isn't really your fault!!!

Good luck with it all :smile:

Just on the safe side - do you think you can coax your supervisor into emailing an academic reference to:
[email protected]
which is their general admissions email for medicine.

On Monday, call in again to let them know what you've done. Even if it turns out that your supervisor sent in to the wrong email address, at least you can prove you've done something before the deadline!

Hi guys thanks for your reply help! The reference I gave on UCAS was my PhD supervisor which I assumed would be considered as an academic reference but maybe not?
I didn't think of phoning the main switchboard until after it was closed on Friday! (was running a 6hr experiment and couldn't leave the lab). I will definitely phone first thing Monday morning and explain what is going on.
Hopefully I can get hold of my head of dept tomorrow morning as well and see if he can quickly write something for me. I'll ask him to send it to the UG admissions email address.
I'll let you know what happens!
Thanks again!! xx
I think someone's asked this before but I can't find the answer..
On the interview information document, it says we have to bring our interview letters with us but the PDF won't open on my computer or phone. I don't think it's the computer as I think lots of other applicants have this problem too. Has anyone been asked for their interview letter on the day?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Can anyone help explaining the NHS reforms that have occurred recently?

Thanks!
Reply 1179
Original post by General Maximus
Hey

I'm a graduate and I will have my A100 interview this Wednesday.

2.1 Biomedical Sciences and 780 for the UKCAT

Hi guys, great to hear from some fellow grads. Congrats on the interview General Maximus and best of luck with it!

Where else have you both applied? As well as Kings, I've applied to both Barts courses and Warwick. Not had any responses yet though. Hopefully will hear something before Christmas!

Quick Reply

Latest