Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by It could be lupus)
    Even still thats very impressive. The John's starting team would consist of players playing for the uni at some level though
    Yer but I don't really think that the 21s and the blues are that comparable, very few players who have played for the 21s (or 21As or 60s) seem to move up to the blues. But still yes it's odd how many of the Johnians rugby boys play for the 21s

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by around)
    'apparently' there was a big punt race a hundred years ago or something and john's managed to kill someone during it.

This story is probably a load of complete tosh, but it's what I've been told.
    It wasn't a punt race, it was rowing but it did happen. I can't recall the two colleges involved, but John's wasn't one of them. It's also given as the reason LMBC isn't called St John's boat club.
    A boat ran through another that was turned across the river and killed someone. It's the reason all the boats have bow balls now.
    People just say it was johns :p: We're that good

The actual rumour is pretty epic as they say we attached a sword to the front of the boat :awesome:

Edit:
    'Bow balls
    It is recorded that 'owing to a fatal accident at Cambridge', a rule was passed in 1888 obliging all boats to have an indiarubber ball fitted on the end of their bows. Nowadays it seems to be the popular conception that St John's College were the culpable crew and ever since have been obliged to row under the name 'Lady Margaret' and wear bright red. Sadly for such a famous myth, St John's men were already rowing as Lady Margaret BC at the founding of the Cambridge bumps in 1826 [The accident actually involved Trinity Hall bumping Clare during the 1888 Lents].

http://www.atm.ox.ac.uk/rowing/history.html#bowballs

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by It could be lupus)
    FAIL. Trinity College, Cambridge is the richest of all of the Oxbridge Colleges.

The stereotype comes about as it is believed that Johnian's are very arrogant and believe that they are the best
    That's cos we are :p:

Trinity and John's are very close in terms of size, number of students and wealth though...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SoapyDish)
    That's cos we are :p:

Trinity and John's are very close in terms of size, number of students and wealth though...
    Yeah I would agree that our colleges are very close in all them aspects as well as distance, though I think Trinity is still quite a bit wealthier.
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    (Original post by Welix)
    Well, how did it come about?

Is it really true that most people at St John's want to go to Oxford? Why St. John's, it's not the only Cambridge college that shares a name with an Oxford college. Or is St. John's particularly famous?

Sorry if I'm being an utter noob, I was just wondering
    "I'd rather be at Oxford than St. John's" doesn't mean most people at St. John's have a burning desire to go to Oxford. It means people who DON'T go there apparently hold it in such contempt that they would rather go to OXFORD (clearly the worst place in the Universe) than go there.

I've never met a Johnian. I think the stereotype is mainly founded on the fact that it's a rich college.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Melz0r)
    I've never met a Johnian. I think the stereotype is mainly founded on the fact that it's a rich college.
    Heh, it almost certainly is - i met a few this term and they were all lovely

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by DLCB)
    Hello! Thanks for yesterday, it was good meeting you and everyone was so nice!
    My first general interview was amazing and I loved it and could have kept chatting about the topics we discussed for hours. However, the subject one was horrendous... something at the beginning caught me out and I just ended up completely stressing and couldn't think of anything and so when it came to topics that I was really passionate about I dont think I came across well. Also I found having to interact with both interviewers tricky as the woman's interview style (can't remember her name) was very different to Dr S's.
    I'm still really gald that I did it though and the whole experience was unlike anything I'd done before... so I don't feel as though I lost out too much!!
    Thanks again!!
    Heyhey, good meeting you too! Your subject interview probably dinnae go as bad as you thought, the subject one tends to have a completely different feel from the general one which throws people off (I remember fumbling forever on a relatively easy question in my first subject interview) Hope you're having a good xmas break

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Melz0r)
    "I'd rather be at Oxford than St. John's" doesn't mean most people at St. John's have a burning desire to go to Oxford. It means people who DON'T go there apparently hold it in such contempt that they would rather go to OXFORD (clearly the worst place in the Universe) than go there.

How can you have a supported opinion on the subject if you have never even met a johnian? have you been to cambridge?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Funkachillislap)
    How can you have a supported opinion on the subject if you have never even met a johnian? have you been to cambridge?
    (Original post by from her sig)
    Modern and Medieval Languages (French and German) at Emmanuel College, Cambridge '09

I have a Fresher's Blog, don'tcha know

Oh my goodness! Are your GCSE or AS grades good enough for Oxbridge!? Tell you what... post in this nice shiny new thread rather than making a thread. (PS, they probably are).

On reflection, probably.

ReputationRep:
    John's is wonderful

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Bien)
    John's is wonderful
    Nothing truer has ever been said :yes:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by aKarma)
    Nothing truer has ever been said :yes:
    Except "SoapyDish is wonderful".

ReputationRep:
    Except "SoapyDish is wonderful".
    Psshh
    How dare you compare your glory to the glory of John's

ReputationRep:
    Hot pants.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by caaakeeey)
    Hot pants.
    If you start wearing hot pants, I think I would actually rather be at Oxford :p:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by aKarma)
    If you start wearing hot pants, I think I would actually rather be at Oxford :p:
    I think he'd look rather fetching in hot pants! And a sequinned sparkly top...with lots and lots of glowsticks. Did you know he gave me some glowsticks and fudge as an apology for what happened on my birthday? He still owes me a jumper though.

ReputationRep:
    I think he'd look rather fetching in hot pants! And a sequinned sparkly top...with lots and lots of glowsticks. Did you know he gave me some glowsticks and fudge as an apology for what happened on my birthday? He still owes me a jumper though.
    Back off the police stash!

ReputationRep:
    But you promised :puppyeyes:

ReputationRep:
    Your stash was a complete let down

I was so expecting this

You should go back and complain
    :nope:

ReputationRep:
    But you promised :puppyeyes:
    How about that rape we agreed on, then you can pick up your own stash...
    Others were disappointed that i didn't get to be in a lineup...

University open days

• University of East Anglia
    UEA Mini Open Day Undergraduate
    Fri, 4 Jan '19
  • University of Lincoln
    Mini Open Day at the Brayford Campus Undergraduate
    Mon, 7 Jan '19
  • Bournemouth University
    Undergraduate Mini Open Day Undergraduate
    Wed, 9 Jan '19
Poll
Did you get less than your required grades and still get into university?
  • create my feed
  • edit my feed

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.