Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Defragmentation)
    PFO from CC for the 'non-law insight workshop' apparently when I applied for the summer vac scheme. It seems law firms don't have to play by the same rules of attention to detail that we have to

Posted from TSR Mobile
    (Original post by ScroogeHumbug)
    Bit of a bad show from them. You'd expect when they insist on attention to detail, they would not make such typos in an email.
    So true, I saw a fairly obvious typo in a firm's brochure and another one in an email

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Defragmentation)
    PFO from CC for the 'non-law insight workshop' apparently when I applied for the summer vac scheme. It seems law firms don't have to play by the same rules of attention to detail that we have to

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Commiserations, mate - time to prove them wrong!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Kidioteque)
    Commiserations, mate - time to prove them wrong!
    Cheers bud! Kinda okay with it considering how quickly they got back to me.

Best of luck with your AC

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    This has been a very slow week. I would have expected the majority of rolling law firms to have gotten back to everyone by now.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Aspiringlawyer20)
    Macfarlanes AC tomorrow! Very excited/nervous
    Yo!

Did you manage to get on to the vac scheme?

ReputationRep:
    has anyone heard back from Taylor Wessing about a vac scheme?

ReputationRep:
    • Any tips please? I have only very skimpy knowledge of commercial awareness and have an interview next week. Any advice would be greatly appreciated

ReputationRep:
    Also, could someone give me an economic summary of Russia's involvement in Crimea please? And what other topics are likely to be discussed in interviews? I have an interview next week and I'm a bit worried - please help

ReputationRep:
    Been rejected from BLP, Mishcon, Freshfields and A&O..... All without any feedback so slight panic has set in that I'm going to be rejected from my other firms too! Any advice?

ReputationRep:
    Anyone who had their Mayer Brown interview? As for those that received a rejection with typos, I had the same with "an unnamed firm" and I was very upset because I had worked for days on the application from 8 to 6 and in the email they said I was not eligible, which I clearly was and so I felt like they had not even read my application. But I think sometimes it is a simple mistake, just keep going, it's part of the process and you will ultimately get something, because we all work hard and deserve it! Happy friday everyone!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by owlie)
    • Any tips please? I have only very skimpy knowledge of commercial awareness and have an interview next week. Any advice would be greatly appreciated
    This'll sound a little annoying but you should really just dip into the economist and the FT. Ideally, you should be developing commercial awareness for more than just a week but as an assist, The Economist did an excellent recount of 2014 business as well as predictions for this year in The World in 2015- a special edition publication for 2015. Costs £8 if memory serves me.

ReputationRep:
    Merci HSF was ages ago, I think first week of December. It was for the spring scheme. They got back to me just before Christmas.
    Mofo are taking quite some time aren't they? I got notice of partner review back in November and still no word. Is this the same for you?

ReputationRep:
    Guess I'm a bit behind.. but another CC AC invitee here

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by narusku)
    This'll sound a little annoying but you should really just dip into the economist and the FT. Ideally, you should be developing commercial awareness for more than just a week but as an assist, The Economist did an excellent recount of 2014 business as well as predictions for this year in The World - a special edition publication for 2015. Costs £8 if memory serves me.
    Thanks so much!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by narusku)
    Mofo are taking quite some time aren't they? I got notice of partner review back in November and still no word. Is this the same for you?
    I think the partner review takes ages because the partners will probably be slower given they have a full time law job. I guess we might start hearing back by the end of January or beginning of February (depending how many applications they have to get through).

ReputationRep:
    I think the partner review takes ages because the partners will probably be slower given they have a full time law job. I guess we might start hearing back by the end of January or beginning of February (depending how many applications they have to get through).
    Fair enough.

ReputationRep:
    'Give an example of a personal goal you set yourself and what you did to reach it' - how would you guys approach this question? I was thinking to write about a time I raised awareness about a charity event but dont know if that counts as a 'personal goal'?

ReputationRep:
    Any particular idea what comes up on a KWM video interview?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by keep.on.smiling)
    Been rejected from BLP, Mishcon, Freshfields and A&O..... All without any feedback so slight panic has set in that I'm going to be rejected from my other firms too! Any advice?
    Do you mind me asking when you submitted your Mishcon application and when you got a response?
    Thanks

ReputationRep:
    So I had the Macfarlanes AC a few days ago.

It was a really great day, which it makes it even more annoying that I wasn't successful. It was the 1st AC they were doing and there were about 20 people there I think. There was a mixture of undergraduates and recent graduates. Interestingly, the majority of people there were non-law undergraduates/graduates including (like myself) lots of language students.

The structure of the day was as follows:

introductions --> we had to introduce the person next to ourselves which was a fun way to get to know everyone better. It included mentioning your "claim to fame".

group exercises --> we were then separated off in to groups of 5 and there were two different exercises. I can't actually remember the first one but the second one was a mock negotiation. The negotiation was really fun, it was tricky to make sure you came across as standing your ground against the other side, yet open to negotiate in order to finish the task in the allotted time.

written exercise --> the written exercise involved drafting a letter to a client. I imagine it will be different for anyone else doing it but the important thing to remember was that 30 minutes goes so quickly so the importance of time management could not be stressed enough!

lunch & work shadowing --> had a nice chance to ask some questions to one of the partners over lunch and also have a kind of "informal" interview. We were then assigned to a trainee at the firm and given a short overview of what they were doing and what their experiences of a trainee was like. They're all so friendly but remember you're being assessed at all times!

interview --> the partner interview was split in to two halves. In the first half we were given a hypothetical problem that a trainee may be faced with. The partner didn't expect us to know what the answer was, he/she just wanted to see our thought process/how we would go about solving the issue. The second half was a general interview about personal motivations. Why law/commercial law etc. It was very short and it was tricky to get across everything I wanted to without rambling on too much! But we had a good chat and I came away feeling positive.

I'm having a feedback call on tuesday so it will be interesting to see what I can improve on! But yeah, it was a really great day so for anyone having one in the next few days, good luck! Macfarlanes is the only firm that I have gone through this process for so i'm gutted I haven't got on to their vacation scheme! There's always next year.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
    Useful resources
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.