Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by fluteflute)
    Ah yes, sorry. Last year the equivalent text was "Candidates applying for History and Economics are required to take two tests: the History Aptitude Test (HAT) on 5 November 2014 and a test for Economics for those who are shortlisted, which will take place during the Oxford interview period in December 2014."

And here's the 'specimen paper' for the old test (the question on the HAT might be nothing like this, I don't know):
    http://web.archive.org/web/201409291...ent.rm?id=2315
    Thank you. If there is an extra question on the HAT, will I get a time extension? Do I still register as if I am taking the normal HAT?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Connor D)
    Thank you. If there is an extra question on the HAT, will I get a time extension? Do I still register as if I am taking the normal HAT?
    I don't know I'm afraid - feel free to email Oxford about it!

I'd be very very surprised if they got you to do more questions in the same amount of time. So either there would be a time extension, or they'll tell you not to answer one of the 'normal' HAT questions. (The latter happens in the Maths MAT if you're applying for Computer Science.)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by BJack)
    Yes, I know that was the question.... If you want to know how well AS results correlate with Oxford degree success, look at AS results and degree success of students at Oxford. If that shows a strong positive correlation, you can try to select applicants with really good AS results.
    They must have A2 results for students that get in. It would be reasonable to assume that AS results are in line with these.

However, you would still have to rely on the assumption that the rejected candidates (about whom they have no information whatsoever) follow the same pattern as the current students.

You would need a lot of confidence in this assumption to fix a system that ain't (proven to be ) broke. You would also need to convince a substantial number of people that the gain was measurably worth the pain.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Plagioclase)
    According to the website "The test will include a question specifically for candidates applying for History and Economics" but I can't find any more information on that. It doesn't appear on the HAT past papers as far as I can tell that are publicly available.
    Well, this is new, and very frightening.

Economics applicants are not required to have economics A level (still?) so it would be unfair to ask a question from the economics syllabus. Also, as this is the first year perhaps it might have to be a bit of a pilot.

There has also been a suggestion that some history joint applicants are offered single honours history. They would surely have to give you an equal time on the HAT to make that fair.

But Fluteflute is right. The best thing to do would be to ask them to clarify.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Pars12)
    They must have A2 results for students that get in. It would be reasonable to assume that AS results are in line with these.

However, you would still have to rely on the assumption that the rejected candidates (about whom they have no information whatsoever) follow the same pattern as the current students.
    I was asked to provide all my UMS results about a month before I started at Oxford (precisely for this sort of research). They could easily have sent the same email to students who didn't get an offer (or didn't make the final grades). I'd be interested to know the outcome!

But with AS levels set to disappear, it's mostly a non-issue at the moment.

ReputationRep:
    Well, this is new, and very frightening.

Economics applicants are not required to have economics A level (still?) so it would be unfair to ask a question from the economics syllabus. Also, as this is the first year perhaps it might have to be a bit of a pilot.
    I agree the information presented online around the change in format is awful, but it's nothing that's particularly new. It's what they've been doing for years and years. It's just that previously the test was taken during December interviews at Oxford .

If you look at the specimen I posted above, it's clear that they're not relying on formal economics training, they're just testing for some basic mathematical ability and some common sense thinking on some economics problem.

ReputationRep:
    I was asked to provide all my UMS results about a month before I started at Oxford (precisely for this sort of research). They could easily have sent the same email to students who didn't get an offer (or didn't make the final grades). I'd be interested to know the outcome!.
    Bit cheeky, though! I don't think I would have replied to it!

But with AS levels set to disappear, it's mostly a non-issue at the moment.
    For future applicants certainly. Still seems to be a burning issue for class of 2016. The actual wording my son heard on the outreach was "Oxford doesn't care as much as Cambridge about AS results".

ReputationRep:
    For future applicants certainly. Still seems to be a burning issue for class of 2016. The actual wording my son heard on the outreach was "Oxford doesn't care as much as Cambridge about AS results".
    Well that's certainly a true statement! For most people though, grades aren't going to be the deciding factor in an Oxbridge application - the outcome of their application would probably be the same applying to either institution.

ReputationRep:
    Well that's certainly a true statement! For most people though, grades aren't going to be the deciding factor in an Oxbridge application - the outcome of their application would probably be the same applying to either institution.
    Most people will be climbing up the wall for the next 21 days. Then they can find out whether they belong to most people.

ReputationRep:
    This seems like a slightly mad objection. If you aren't happy to assume that rejectees and successful applicants follow the same patterns, what's the point of interviews, admissions tests, etc.?

ReputationRep:
    On the History website it says that the written work to be submitted should not be a structured question, rather an ordinary essay. Does anyone know exactly what the difference between an ordinary essay and structured question is? Also, here in the US, our AP essays are timed at around 45-50 mins, so the number of words is closer to 500 instead of the recommended 1500. Will this be a problem? Should I take time to prepare an essay specifically to submit to Oxford? sorry for so many questions, but any help is greatly appreciated.

ReputationRep:
    Does anyone know exactly what the difference between an ordinary essay and structured question is? Also, here in the US, our AP essays are timed at around 45-50 mins, so the number of words is closer to 500 instead of the recommended 1500.
    AP essays are structured questions, an 'ordinary essay' is what you probably call a paper. If the only writing you do in your history class is practice AP questions (and you don't have any longer form papers from other classes) you may have a problem. Cambridge would make you write an essay and have a teacher grade it, but I don't know if Oxford does. The thing is that pretty much all your work in History at Oxford is writing essays (papers) (at least a paper a week) and they want to see if you can actually write one.

ReputationRep:
    Hi guys could someone help me out with question 42 of the 2012 Oxford TSA please? I really don't get it

Here's the link: http://www.admissionstestingservice....-section-1.pdf

Thanks

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ari0710)
    Hi guys could someone help me out with question 42 of the 2012 Oxford TSA please? I really don't get it

Here's the link: http://www.admissionstestingservice....-section-1.pdf

Thanks
    Hello

I think this is how the question works - hope it helps
    Attached Images

•  Official Rep

ReputationRep:
     Official Rep
    (Original post by danniegee)
    Hello

I think this is how the question works - hope it helps
    Looks right to us! The equation in your working helps a lot and you've read the question and given the time to the hour - although the multiple choice is kind and doesn't give 37.5 as an option.

ReputationRep:
    What would happen if you achieved 3 As and 1 B at AS - bearing in mind you would be dropping the B you are in theory still on track for 3 As so would it matter?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by politicalmind)
    What would happen if you achieved 3 As and 1 B at AS - bearing in mind you would be dropping the B you are in theory still on track for 3 As so would it matter?
    Not really no - GCSEs, admissions tests, personal statement, predicted grades and the interview/s are more important.

ReputationRep:
    LNAT and interview stand as the most important parts of the application. Your GCSEs might be slightly lower than average, but you can make up for this on other parts of the application and it won't hinder your application.

Quick note btw, being head girl/ boy doesn't factor in to the equation for Oxford - they'll care more about your passion for the subject in the personal statement. Mention it by all means, but the strength of your PS will be judged on academia.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by politicalmind)
    Oh ok thank you - I am still worried my GCSES are not enough at 2A*s and 8 As, although my practise LNATS have all been good and I have a very strong personal statement being head girl of my school for next year etc...
    See above post - forgot to quote.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    • Community Assistant
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    Welcome Squad
    (Original post by Lucilou101)
    Not really no - GCSEs, admissions tests, personal statement, predicted grades and the interview/s are more important.
    What about if I only achieved ABB at AS?

Posted from TSR Mobile

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brussels sprouts
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.