The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

if you want to discuss answers quicker :smile: http://www.chatzy.com/78880695828818
What are experiments we need to know?
analyse circular orbits in an inverse square law field by relating the gravitational force to the centripetal acceleration it causes
What does this mean
Would it be wise to pull an all nighter for this morning exam? :frown:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by The Room Student
I'm probably panicking and overcomplicating but...

What exactly does the specification mean when it says:

"Select and use x = Acos(2πft) or x = Asin(2πft) as solutions to the equation a = –(2πf)^2x"

Do they mean 'work out (or read-off) x from a graph' and then 'bung x into the latter equation to calculate a' or?

Sorry this is a bit late. Thanks in advance to anyone that can help me out here.

Cos for when you've pulled it down all the way (think of a cos graph)

Sin for when you get it a slight impulse at the eq position.

(difference between sin and cos graphs is an easy way to remember)!
Studentroom link to unofficial mark scheme for June 2014 paper: http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=2712461
Original post by OliviaLin

Posted from TSR Mobile

More likely to make stupid mistakes due to tiredness imo
Original post by Futuremedic2096
analyse circular orbits in an inverse square law field by relating the gravitational force to the centripetal acceleration it causes
What does this mean

Please help, improbably know just don't understand the meaning

Posted from TSR Mobile

Sleep. Trust me, been up for 36 hours and I can't concentrate on anything :u:
Original post by Tom102
Cos for when you've pulled it down all the way (think of a cos graph)

Sin for when you get it a slight impulse at the eq position.

(difference between sin and cos graphs is an easy way to remember)!

Sorry. But how would they word the question? Like what lets you know to use sin? Is it so say at t=0 the displacement is zero what would the displacement be at t =1.2? Then would you use the sin variation?

But if it was at Max displacement (A) at t= 0s you would then use the cos variation to find it at t=1.2s?

Sorry but we were never actually taught this! Bloody joke! If someone can let me know if that's right that would be great! Thanks
Original post by HMusa
it doesnt matter if you cant remember but do you remember the page where the experiments are mentioned or thereabouts?also what are each of the circuits suppose to look like? as in how is an electrical heater suppose to be drawn lolthanks

Page 70 of official textbook there is SHC experiment.
Page 62, again same book, Brownian motion experiment.
And for SHM - pretty much everything there is to cover; so it's an oscillating object (pendulum or mass-spring system) which is moving because of a restoring force (to midpoint) and the respective equation for interpreting graphs and also the energy exchanges. Each of these has a double spread dedicated.

*I don't use/read the official textbook so I can't say I'll be able to answer queries about what's in there.

The symbol for a heater is just a long rectangle with four lines equally spaced lines inside it.

(edited 8 years ago)

Posted from TSR Mobile

I agree with everyone else; go to sleep. Whilst in bed think about some physics topics and what sorts of ideas are taking place or if you want, read a textbook/revision guide. Good luck :smile:
Original post by OwenEllicott1996
At the start of the June 2014 mark scheme, it says any question where 2.s.f of data is given it will allow 2.s.f or more. Any answer which give less, so 1, will only lose one mark even if they do it again. Also if the answer is given to 2.s.f and it requires more then another mark will be lost and again if you repeat it you won't lose another mark so rule of thumb give 3.s.f and you should be fine

Thank you!
Original post by Futuremedic2096
Please help, improbably know just don't understand the meaning

It means using F=mv^2/r along with F=GMm/r^2.
You can eliminate F to get mv^2/r=GMm/r^2.
This can be used to calculate orbital radii or masses of planets etc...

Posted from TSR Mobile

If you're going to pull an all nighter, AT LEAST allocate a 90 minute nap before you head to the exam, that way you fully refresh your brain. Do not use a regular alarm so your sleep cycle does not get distracted and you end up feeling groggy, instead download a sleepbot app which will track your movements and will wake you up when you're most active but set the cycle to at least 90 minutes. (But still set an alarm just incase / ask someone to wake you up). lol anyway I'm speaking from experience, I have gotten D's from pulling all nighters before but I managed to get As with the 90 minute naps (especially this exam needs ton of brain processing) !!! Wake yourself up with coffee but only if you're accustomed to it or don't suffer anxiety! :smile: Goodluck tomorrow!
Original post by papayarama
If you're going to pull an all nighter, AT LEAST allocate a 90 minute nap before you head to the exam, that way you fully refresh your brain. Do not use a regular alarm so your sleep cycle does not get distracted and you end up feeling groggy, instead download a sleepbot app which will track your movements and will wake you up when you're most active but set the cycle to at least 90 minutes. (But still set an alarm just incase / ask someone to wake you up). lol anyway I'm speaking from experience, I have gotten D's from pulling all nighters before but I managed to get As with the 90 minute naps (especially this exam needs ton of brain processing) !!! Wake yourself up with coffee but only if you're accustomed to it or don't suffer anxiety! :smile: Goodluck tomorrow!

Wow there are actually some nice people on TSR. Not just arrogant Nerds :P

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by verello12
How are you guys feeling about this one. I feel like it's easy to f*** it up since a small difference in marks will have a big effect on your grade.

I've dont all of the 2014-2010 past papers about 3 times each, been getting 50-60 marks but I'm still scared some word question will throw me off or im gonna forget to convert km to m for example, but my biggest worry is time. Time is my biggest enemy, I don't even know what the point is of having such a tight time limit, make it 1hr 45min or something so everyone can attempt each question with no problem...

I agree, it's so easy to mess it up and OCR needs to make this exam at least 1h30m as some questions you need to get your head around :-/ But anyway, maybe it's just me because I don't work well under time-pressure.
Original post by papayarama

Thank you so much! That was really helpful.. I think I've been procrastinating googling the benefits of all-nighters as opposed to revision.. I'm feeling confident but just panicking so I feel as if I need to do a lot of the past papers again & go over definitions so I'm going to plan this in sections with that wonderful app you've suggested & basically revise, nap, revise, nap with regular caffeine intervals haha! Hopefully this will work! Thanks again, good luck to everyone.. Will let you know the outcome of this experiment whether good or bad. 😭

Latest

Trending

Trending