Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Hey
    Can anyone help me please? I have made account for the Ukcat but by mistake I made in US English but I need Uk English. And now I am booking the test but it is will be in us. Do you know how change?

Thanks
    •  Official Rep

ReputationRep:
     Official Rep
    (Original post by OneAfrica)
    Does anyone have any advice on what universities to apply to with a 636 UKCAT score?
    If you're worried about your score not being high enough there are a few unis that don't focus on the UKCAT that heavily. For instance, Cardiff only uses UKCAT in tie-break situation between candidates.

Another example is Dundee, which uses the UKCAT alongside academic record to rank for interview, so if you've got great GCSEs and A levels this would help.

There are many other universities which use the UKCAT like Dundee. Have a look at our free Medical School comparison tool to see how each university uses the UKCAT!

Hope this helps,
    The Medic Portal

ReputationRep:
    I have been studying for the UKCAT all summer and I have managed to improve in each of the tested areas over the last few weeks. However, by adding in the time pressure I struggle to get as high a score. Any advice to doing as well?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by janewrightxo)
    I have been studying for the UKCAT all summer and I have managed to improve in each of the tested areas over the last few weeks. However, by adding in the time pressure I struggle to get as high a score. Any advice to doing as well?
    do as many questions as possible. The more you do, the more you get used to the question styles and the faster you get. I used medify. I didn't even bother timing myself, but eventually I got faster and faster

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Freyr)
    do as many questions as possible. The more you do, the more you get used to the question styles and the faster you get. I used medify. I didn't even bother timing myself, but eventually I got faster and faster
    Thank you! I have been using Medic Portal and have just been doing every question I can. Suppose it also depends on what comes up on the day :/

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Fireplace123)
    OMG I MADE IT IN US ENGLISH TOO!
    i thought there wasnt a uk english

No there is, now I saw it on the top of the page.I don't want to take test in us English. If you find how change it please let me know

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by janewrightxo)
    I'd also recommend using Medify. It was probably the best source of improvement for me. It costs money, but I think it's definitely worth it if you want a really competitive score.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mariamjaan)
    No there is, now I saw it on the top of the page.I don't want to take test in us English. If you find how change it please let me know
    I did the same

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by OneAfrica)
    Does anyone have any advice on what universities to apply to with a 636 UKCAT score?
    Maybe thing about some bmat unis such as Leeds,Brighton and Sussex etc and also if you have a high UCAS tarrif you can also consider barts.I got 637.5 last year and now have an offer from barts

ReputationRep:
    Shall I aim to complete medify in a week( without mocks) and then redo all questions the next week or just finish in 2 weeks? pLease help

ReputationRep:
    I just did my UKCAT today and I got such awful scores. I did not expect 1680/2700 with a Band 3 in SJ. The questions were really hard, and the practice papers I did were so much easier.

I thought I was really prepared but now with these scores, no Medical School would consider offering me a place. I may do the BMAT now, just because I am a failure. I was considering applying to Sheffield since I only have a grade C in Maths but my AS Level results will also be crap, judging by how I've been doing recently.

I wanted to apply to Medicine since I cannot imagine myself doing anything else, but now I have to rethink everything. I may just do Biomedical Sciences.

My one chance has been ruined.
    Does anyone have any advice, if possible? :ashamed2:

ReputationRep:
    Don't stress!

I did UKCAT revision for a solid 2 months before my exam and kept delaying and delaying my exam date. It is true what they say about the UKCAT, the more you revise, the less you actually improve! I'm not saying don't revise, that would be stupid, but please don't do more than 2 weeks of solid revision. I was so demotivated after all the revision I did, I flunked the exam, and during the exam I realised, no amount of revision over 2 weeks could have helped me.

I did 2 and a bit months of solid UKCAT revision, and still got a (in my mind) "meh" score of 637.5 average and Band II.

And to those who don't do so well at the UKCAT, all you really need is about 610 and you are fine for most unis (except those who rely heavily on the UKCAT such as newcastle and nottingham).

With 637.5 I was rejected from Nottingham straight off the bat due to low UKCAT, but I have offers from Bristol (Firm) and Liverpool (Insurance), which I am very happy about! REMEMBER, UKCAT only gets your to interview. At interview, you are just as far as everyone else. They most likely wont look back at your UKCAT! All you have to do it make the cut off!

*Edit - I used Medify and Kaplan and 5 other textbooks, so I was around £500 down when sitting my UKCAT xD
    - I would recommend just medify and the Green textbook and maybe the Kaplan textbook, but NOT the kaplan course.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Orlanda)
    Hey guys,

Any tips for the QR apart from 'flag the hard ones and come back?'
    Really struggling

Has anyone had any success stories where they've gone from being really **** at QR to getting a great score? Need some inspo about to give up ahah
    Hi, I did my UKCAT exam a couple of weeks ago, and the one section I always found to be the worst, almost impossible, was quantitative reasoning. It was always the worst score in all of my practice tests, with a score of about 640 being my average. I always found the biggest issue with quantitative reasoning the timing. If I had double the time, I could easily do all of the questions, but the strict time limit always stopped me from getting the score that I wanted. However, I found a few tips that really helped me, and I'm really sorry if these seem obvious, but they completely saved my life on test day!

Firstly, never look at the data first. When you come to a new set of questions, the first thing your eye is drawn towards are the tables, graphs, etc. Ignore them. Completely. Go straight down to the question and read it. Then scan through the answer choices. You might be able to eliminate some very extreme answers straight away. You might realise that the answer is in fact "Can't tell". You might identify that this is a percentage change question. Whatever it is, spending 5-10 seconds reading through the question and looking at the answer choices will help you identify exactly what it is the question is looking for. Therefore, you can then click up the calculator and type in the numbers (do this on the keyboard pad on the right-hand side of the keyboard by turning on number lock) in the data without even thinking about it. You should keep the time limit always in your mind. Make sure you glance at it whenever you can, and try not to spend any longer than 40 seconds on a question. If you realise that the question is going to take you longer than 40 seconds, then it definitely isn't worth it. Spend 5 seconds flagging it, clicking a random, but fairly logical answer, and move on. Finally, just another random tip, but if you're faced with a question that has a ton of data, like a pie chart, a bar graph and a table all in one, those questions are actually much more simple than you think, so try not to be daunted by it, and it should be fine.My quantitative reasoning score ended up saving my entire UKCAT average, something which I really didn't expect. Also, I wouldn't rely on this on thought, but my QR questions in the UKCAT were MUCH easier than any ones I'd done before, especially those on the official UKCAT website. So I'm sure it'll go much better than you're thinking it will!

I managed to get 890 for QR in the end, and I still have no idea how, especially considering how much worse I did in all of my practices for it beforehand. These methods really helped me though, so hopefully you'll find at least one of these tips helpful!

Good luck!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by medstudent1010)
    Maybe thing about some bmat unis such as Leeds,Brighton and Sussex etc and also if you have a high UCAS tarrif you can also consider barts.I got 637.5 last year and now have an offer from barts
    what was your tariff?

ReputationRep:
    Shall I aim to complete medify in a week( without mocks) and then redo all questions the next week or just finish in 2 weeks? pLease help

ReputationRep:
    Hey,
    Can anyone give me good tips for the abstract reasing please. It is so annoy😖😖😖😖😣😣

ReputationRep:
    So the UKCAT this year has a new section; Decision Making. This section wont be included in the overall score and it wont be communicated to universities. So I was just wondering if there was any need to revise for it? Ive even heard that some people have just relaxed during the Decision Making section of their exam and not answered any questions. I really don't know if I should put effort into revising for this section or whether to save my energy and just not answer any of the questions. Can someone give me some advice?

ReputationRep:
    Haven't yet sat the exam but at the Warwick open day they basically put it to us like this:

Don't revise for it, but still take it seriously when doing the actual test. As it will affect future marking of this section and serve as a baseline when going forward, so don't just guess everything or leave it all blank but don't invest any time revising for it. That is how I plan to approach it anyway.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Natalierm2707)
    Not sure where you have got some of this information from but to dispell rumour to avoid people getting confused ...

Cardiff do not use the UKCAT until after interview, and even then they only use it in a couple of cases (out of over 400 post interview candidates). Hence cardiff can basically be classed as not using the UKCAT, any score can apply to cardiff providing they have they meet the strict academic cut offs to get an interview (this changes every year but for the past few years its been 8A*s and 1A to include core subjects).

Newcastle is notorious for requiring a high UKCAT and cut offs are often in the very high 600s or even 700s for some previous years. I would never recommend newcastle unless the UKCAT was above 680, even then below 700 i would deem risky for there.

Hope this clears things up to avoid confusion. All this info can be found in university admissions policies as well as further back on this thread.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    sorry I am a bit confused myself but tried my best with advice! but as far as I know I think you said nottingham don't use the ukcat heavily, which is incorrect as at their open day they said that they use it in a 50:50 weighting with the ucas tariff, which is the same as barts. correct me if i'm wrong but I'm sure that is how they use it!

ReputationRep:
    I was wondering if anyone knew which universities, for dentistry, are the best to apply to with a ukcat that is around 630-640?? I haven't taken my ukcat yet, but it is in 5 days and am very worried that I won't be able to get a score in the high 600s/700+.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: August 22, 2017
Poll
Do you like carrot cake?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.