Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    (Original post by cranbrook_aspie)
    And the point of tutoring, something that can usually only be afforded by the rich, is to ensure that an idiot isn't got rid of.
    Arguably the point of a private tutor is to de-idiot the idiot
    • Very Important Poster
    • Study Helper
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    Very Important Poster
    Study Helper
    Welcome Squad
    (Original post by Lime-man)
    Well there was a little bit of competition, classmates would often get their "gems" read out in front of the class. And even in Alevel, it was the same, no sets, very much mixed ability and it served a few of us rather well.

A few notable gems were.

"his hair stood on end like officers in the army"
    "the sunlight had clung to the edges of the leaves, causing the tree to shimmer as if made of pure gold"

There were a few more, but when someone had a gem, no matter what their level of ability was, it would inspire the entire class.
    Ffs, I'd hate to have my 'gems' read out in front of the entire class...!
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    (Original post by mobbsy91)
    Ffs, I'd hate to have my 'gems' read out in front of the entire class...!
    Of course, it was fully optional.

But still, a little bit of inspiration goes a long way. I don't mind people having different abilities as much as I don't mind their being different social classes, or people who are richer than me. When I see the likes of Stephen Hawking, or Bill Gates, or anyone that's achieved more than I have yet, it's inspiration. The world doesn't only contain those who are exactly the same as me, but there is still a lot of common ground, it's because of this reasoning that I did better in classes of mixed abilities.
    • TSR Support Team
    • Clearing and Applications Advisor

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    Clearing and Applications Advisor
    (Original post by Jammy Duel)
    Well, looks like another gaffe from the chancellor and in campaign, not only are they trying to convince us they can predict the state of the economy in 14 years when they can't even manage to do it for the next 14 days, but the model they are using has been discredited, at least for the way they are using it.
    Any link? So far the only criticism I've seen is that it isn't a computable general equilibrium model and the impact of migration is assumed to not affect the factors being calculated.
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    (Original post by The Financier)
    Any link? So far the only criticism I've seen is that it isn't a computable general equilibrium model and the impact of migration is assumed to not affect the factors being calculated.
    http://order-order.com/2016/04/18/os...redited-model/

The criticism is that the RL scenario would be too complex with to much spontaneity for it to give any meaningful result.
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador

Yes, I think all education should be delivered by the state because if a private school is better than a state school because it has access to more funding then that's unfair, if it's not better than a state school then the people sending their children to the private school have been taken in and duped into wasting their money, because there is no logical point in paying for something if it's not better than what you could have got for free. Either way, they're bad.
    So if parents wanted to send their child to a private school they would'nt why are private schools such as stigma ? generally private schools offer better education than the state and students get better results ........why should the more intelligent have to suffer because of the students that don't take school seriously ?

If all schools came under state control then are you suggesting schools like Harrow are controlled by the state ...it's history suddenly wiped away like it never happened

I think if a student is gifted and talented then some voucher system should come into play so perhaps the less advantages but able students can go to schools like Eton , Harrow , Radley College

If we assume that private schools are here to stay, then I don't have a particular problem with entrance exams, I do think they're a little bizarre though. I mean, effectively what you're doing when you send your kids to private school is buying a product, i.e. their education, and you don't get, say, supermarkets telling people they can't buy a can of Coke because they look as if they care about their health so they might have doubts about drinking it.
    Entry tests are there for a reason to see if the child has what it takes to be in a school like ...... i think that if you were to remove entry tests independents would become like state schools

This is why if i have children they will go to top private school

ReputationRep:
    I don't think anyone here genuinely believes that state schools standard of education is equal to the private sector, they can set exams to select more intelligent students and have greater resources that State. The only class that was segregated by ability was Maths (The Maths sets and the Add. Maths sets) Most of us can relate to the frustration when topics have to be repeated and when ultimately you have to help the people beside you answer the question. Honestly I'd prefer my kids develop empathy with those from a poorer background than be surrounded entirely by wealthy families.
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    (Original post by That Bearded Man)
    I don't think anyone here genuinely believes that state schools standard of education is equal to the private sector, they can set exams to select more intelligent students and have greater resources that State. The only class that was segregated by ability was Maths (The Maths sets and the Add. Maths sets) Most of us can relate to the frustration when topics have to be repeated and when ultimately you have to help the people beside you answer the question. Honestly I'd prefer my kids develop empathy with those from a poorer background than be surrounded entirely by wealthy families.
    Wait so it's bad for people to mix with their own class ?

ReputationRep:
    I agree that private schools have more resources, and devote more time to each student, but I prefer state schools simply because of the diversity. I believe that state schools can prepare students for adult life better than private schools can.
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    That requires good parenting, nothing to do with whether their school is run independently or by the state.
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    (Original post by hazzer1998)
    It's bad for people not have a greater understanding of the world than what merely goes on in their own life.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by hazzer1998)
    I think you misinterpreted that... I doubt TBM was suggesting it's wrong for people to mix with their own class, but that diverse environments are beneficial to children in the long term.

ReputationRep:
    Apparently, my husband had been secretly seeing his new lover for about two years. He told me he wants a divorce so that they can get married soon.

I want to make them wait for a year or two by refusing to sign the papers, mainly out of pettiness. I'm a terrible person, aren't I?
    • Very Important Poster
    • Study Helper
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    Very Important Poster
    Study Helper
    Welcome Squad
    (Original post by Whiggy)
    Apparently, my husband had been secretly seeing his new lover for about two years. He told me he wants a divorce so that they can get married soon.

I want to make them wait for a year or two by refusing to sign the papers, mainly out of pettiness. I'm a terrible person, aren't I?
    Nope! Might as well get some kind of enjoyment out of it!!
    • Very Important Poster
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    Very Important Poster
    Welcome Squad

Aren't you 18? So he has been seeing this person since you were 16 and still couldn't commit?

You aren't a terrible person but surely you are better off just getting rid of him and moving on ASAP?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mobbsy91)
    Nope! Might as well get some kind of enjoyment out of it!!
    That's exactly what I was thinking! My mum told me that I should just be happy for them, but I'm really struggling at the moment. Maybe I'll feel differently in a couple of months' time...

(Original post by Aph)
    Aren't you 18? So he has been seeing this person since you were 16 and still couldn't commit?

You aren't a terrible person but surely you are better off just getting rid of him and moving on ASAP?
    That's also a very good point. I just know how much they want this, and I don't want to give in. I'm just hurting because he couldn't tell me that he was gay sooner. Maybe I'm being insensitive, I don't know...

But it might be best to get rid of him.
    • Very Important Poster
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    Very Important Poster
    Welcome Squad
    That's exactly what I was thinking! My mum told me that I should just be happy for them, but I'm really struggling at the moment. Maybe I'll feel differently in a couple of months' time...

That's also a very good point. I just know how much they want this, and I don't want to give in. I'm just hurting because he couldn't tell me that he was gay sooner. Maybe I'm being insensitive, I don't know...

But it might be best to get rid of him.
    I understand where you are coming from but do you really want to be married to him anyway? I think it's best to be the bigger person.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Aph)
    I understand where you are coming from but do you really want to be married to him anyway? I think it's best to be the bigger person.
    I guess you're right. The sooner I get rid of him, the sooner I can begin to move on myself.

I have a couple of days to make a decision anyway, but I'll most likely sign the papers and be done with it.

ReputationRep:

could not tolerate that new avatar any more, the last one was bad enough but this is just awful
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    (Original post by TheDefiniteArticle)

could not tolerate that new avatar any more, the last one was bad enough but this is just awful
    What God awful browser are you using?!

Posted from TSR Mobile

TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: August 15, 2016
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Has a teacher ever helped you cheat?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.