"Far from being worthless, the more unusual degrees are proving a hit with employers" Watch

River85
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by billydisco)
This is your problem, you think a degree is a hobby and its not. Your 'degree' should be a BTEC, plain and simple.
University study was never about getting a degree so you can go into banking or law and earn lots. Education for its own sake?

What you consider a top job isn't necessarily what someone else considers a top job.

Awwwwww, diddums)....
Quit the attitude. Thanks.

Ok i was actually being sarcastic, i went to the 6th best university in the world (2008)....
Oh dear....you do realise that's just a league table and one that has clear bias and major faults? Why do you think UCL is so much better than Warwick or Durham for example let along some of the American and European giants. It's hard enough comparing UCL to another British university let alone comparing it to universities in a completely different country (who have a different culture and system) and saying university x is better than university y.

It hardly has some well recognised position in some definitive top ten in the world, does it? Look at another league table and you'll see it's in another position.

But don't try and pretend that the university you went to means your "argument" (I use that term loosley because debate and seeing other peoples point of view and then arguing in a clear and logical manner).

And it's Abertay by the way. I don't usually correct peoples spelling but that was annoying me. If you're going to criticse certain universities or the degrees they offer then please spell their names correctly. If you don't think this just confirms what many people here think, that you're either ignorant and have no knowledge of what it is you're dismissing or that you're just trolling.
TheQueenOfComputerScience
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
Oh silly me, the Abertway graduates who couldn't get above a C grade in A Level maths, averaged 260 UCAS points suddenly became geniuses and could do 2nd order differential equations, multiple integration and flow dynamics etc!
Ah crap, I too must be doomed as I got a C in Maths at ALevel, how will I ever cope with my heavily Maths based PhD? Might as well drop out now.

My boyfriend got a D in Maths at A Level, god knows how he managed to program a Physics engine for his final year project when he attended one of these non-academic Games Programming courses. Must have stole the code from some Imperial guy I suppose!
billydisco
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by River85)
University study was never about getting a degree so you can go into banking or law and earn lots. Education for its own sake?

What you consider a top job isn't necessarily what someone else considers a top job.

Quit the attitude. Thanks.

Oh dear....you do realise that's just a league table and one that has clear bias and major faults? Why do you think UCL is so much better than Warwick or Durham for example let along some of the American and European giants. It's hard enough comparing UCL to another British university let alone comparing it to universities in a completely different country (who have a different culture and system) and saying university x is better than university y.

It hardly has some well recognised position in some definitive top ten in the world, does it? Look at another league table and you'll see it's in another position.

But don't try and pretend that the university you went to means your "argument" (I use that term loosley because debate and seeing other peoples point of view and then arguing in a clear and logical manner).

And it's Abertay by the way. I don't usually correct peoples spelling but that was annoying me. If you're going to criticse certain universities or the degrees they offer then please spell their names correctly. If you don't think this just confirms what many people here think, that you're either ignorant and have no knowledge of what it is you're dismissing or that you're just trolling.
Because i really put the correct details in my profile?? Ok, so that made 70% of your reply redundant.....

A top job isn't opinionated, its pretty damn obvious by looking at the salary, top job = salary! Hence i said 'top'

Im fed up of idiots, yes, complete idiots who think we should be funding people who are not academic to stay on for A Levels, to stay on for a degree, do something completely retarded, get the same qualification as academic people and then wonder why they still end up in the same job as if they had left school at 16. Did i mention 25k debt?

If you want to do a degree which is not a real degree/limited/in a stupid subject then one should fund themselves.

Recession, time to save money? Time to promote science & technology degrees (real technology degrees btw)?

Why on earth am i going to debate with idiots trying to say that Golf Management is a worthy degree, people can design computer games with average maths ability and no idea of how a computer works, beach studies anyone?

Look at all that diploma crap, the top universities engineering departments don't even accept the engineering diploma. So why was it created? To allow dumb people to feel they have achieved something when they havent.

Stop rewarding failure
River85
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
A top job isn't opinionated, its pretty damn obvious by looking at the salary, top job = salary! Hence i said 'top'
No it's not. That's your definition of a "top job" and a fairly common one. But I don't think a person's value should be measured in how much money they earn. There are a number of crucial (and well respected) occupations and not all of these have a starting salary of 25 - 30k or where people are earning 50k+ after fifteen years.

If you want to do a degree which is not a real degree/limited/in a stupid subject then one should fund themselves.
Again, this is what YOU think. What you think is a real degree or a stupid subject isn't always the reality.

Recession, time to save money? Time to promote science & technology degrees (real technology degrees btw)?
People (and I mean people with real knowledge and experience) have tried to show you that many of these degrees you dismiss are important to the economy and do lead to professional occupations. That they are actually well established subjects and some contain a reasonable amount of "real" science and technology.

But you fail to acknowledge this.
hoonosewot
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
Wow, is this billydisco guy for real or just a troll?! He's frighteningly retarded for a supposed "academic".
hobnob
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
Hobnob im not being silly,
That was directed at your ridiculous claim that "an Imperial graduate can do anything".
firstly why do you think GCSE maths was rid of the coursework this year?
What does GCSE maths have to do with anything?
But its acceptable for a DEGREE to have HALF of its assessment non-examinable? Do me a favour....
What's the problem if a lot of it is assessed through project work, though? It makes sense to have a strong emphasis on group projects, actually, because that probably mirrors the sort of conditions those students are eventually going to work in most closely.
A simple analogy:
An Abertway graduate is taught to memorise 1+1 = 2, 2+3 = 5, 5 + 8 = 13 etc.
Please stop making such ridiculous claims. You know perfectly well that isn't true.
An Imperial graduate is taught how to calculate 15 x 16 = 240
Surely if Imperial graduates are so eminently capable, they won't need to calculate (much less be taught how to calculate) something as simple as that?
this is because they learn the fundamentals whereas Abertway skip the funamentals because their degree is not of high enough quality and their pupils are of a lower calibre.
Then why is it an accredited course which (as far as I know) has a pretty good employment record within the industry?
When the Abertway graduate is asked to give the result of 12 x 12 they cannot, because they didn't learn the fundamentals (calculating), they simply memorised.
Correct me if I'm wrong, but somehow I doubt that the most essential mathematical skill for games developers (or computer scientists, for that matter) is mental arithmetic, so why do you keep using those examples? They're not exactly helping your argument.

And it's 'Abertay', no?
NDGAARONDI
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by River85)
No it's not. That's your definition of a "top job" and a fairly common one. But I don't think a person's value should be measured in how much money they earn. There are a number of crucial (and well respected) occupations and not all of these have a starting salary of 25 - 30k or where people are earning 50k+ after fifteen years.
These people who advocate this are probably those who work until they drop dead. You know, refuse to retire because they claim they have nothing else to do other than work. The Government is doing very well in giving the image that university is a passport to work. Never thought I'd see people today become a reincarnation of the Protestant work ethic, justifying their actions and mere existence on how much they earn.
cpj1987
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
Do i care what you WANT to do? If you cannot choose a discipline to be QUALIFIED in, then you're obviously not an academic person! We're not going to create qualifications out of thin air just because you couldn't hack real ones!
Clearly qualifications ARE going to be made for those who don't like the current choices. It's not about whether or not people are academic, it's about what they like; and whilst YOU don't care what other people want to study, THEY do.

Awwwwww, diddums. So you think people do degrees simply because they like it? Its nothing to do with the fact its a higher qualification which you need for entry to top jobs?
Yes, I do think people should do degrees just because they like them. A degree is about education. If someone gets a job they like because of their qualification, great. If someone chooses to go to university JUST to get a better job, great too; but first and foremost a degree is there to give you an education in a specific subject area, and why choose that if you don't like, or care about, a subject?

This is your problem, you think a degree is a hobby and its not. Your 'degree' should be a BTEC, plain and simple.
I couldn't care less whether it's a degree, a BTEC, or a rhino, by name. As far as I'm concerned, there's nothing in a name. All the name 'degree' says is that I've been educated in my chosen area to degree level. If they wanted to give me that same level of education, and then have me graduate with a 'rhino', I wouldn't argue one bit.

Im pretty sure i made it clear: 20 A LEVELS.....
Ah, so if you only meant twenty A-Levels, you're happy for there to be many more choices at degree level. As in, all the choices there are NOW?

Erm, since it was a QUALIFICATION, which meant it is on the national framework of qualifications???? A ladder used to COMPARE qualifications ssuch as GCSEs, A Levels, BTECs, NVQs, diplomas etc.
A qualification says 'I'm qualified. I have the knowledge/skills in this area to a certain level'. It says nothing, specifically, about comparison.
Sure, people are compared by their qualifications, but that ISN'T what a qualification is primarily about. If I were unlucky enough to end up in hospital with a life-threatening illness, and two surgeons came in to operate, both with the same medical qualifications - I would NOT hold them back until they told me who had the most A grades at A-Level, because they're both qualified for my needs. Both of them would have the knowledge and skill to attempt to save my life.

How the hell am i wrong?? Just because they are treated equally doesn't mean they are equal, does it?? Why do banks have 'milkrounds' if they ARE equal? They still have preferences because, like i said (and im correct) degrees from certain universities are worth less than my A Level Physics!
Are you saying that banks, more so than universities, know what is required of a student and what they're capable of? I think not. Just because you happen to want to work in a prejudiced industry, that doesn't make the industry right and everyone else wrong.

Yes there is a problem, people have degrees who don't deserve them. Its also forcing nearly every single young person to go to university because they now feel inferior not going! Its pathetic, when will milk men need a degree?
No, people are forcing themselves to go to university if they're stupid enough to do so without researching and making their own choices. There are plenty of other choices available, and those students that do have degrees clearly DO deserve them, otherwise they wouldn't have them.

Ok i was actually being sarcastic, i went to the 6th best university in the world (2008)....
Rather contradictory, then? First, you say that these degrees have lowered the standards of other degrees, then you claim that YOUR degree is the only one immune to this?
If you're not being affected, great; nothing to complain about.
ChemistBoy
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
Oh silly me, the Abertway graduates who couldn't get above a C grade in A Level maths, averaged 260 UCAS points suddenly became geniuses and could do 2nd order differential equations, multiple integration and flow dynamics etc!
You don't have to be a genius to do any of those things. You just have to be taught how to do it. I've known people with worse A-level grades go on and complete PhDs in their respective subject areas, are you saying that these people don't exist?
ish90an
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
Since when did Computer Games programming become Mickey Mouse? Writing games is no easy task, games often tend to test the limits of programmers and C++ is not an easy language to master.
HiMyNameIsWilll
Badges: 0
Report 9 years ago
I'm looking to do Games Software Development and i've gotta heck of a lot of work to do if i want to do it. A few people here seem to be slating courses like this, but i've gotta be honest here; The Gaming Industry is HUGE. It generates a collosal amount of money every year, and it's expected to keep growing for the next 10 years! A lot of things seem to be suffering at the moment with the recession and everything, but the Gaming Industry sure ain't, so i think this is a great time to be taking a course like this, and a really good time to be getting into the industry. You can slate that as much as you want, but that's true. And either way, i'd find some like Maths at University boring. No offence to anyone doing it (And i envy you if you can), but it's definitely not for me
That's just my two cent anyway.
TheQueenOfComputerScience
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by HiMyNameIsWilll)
I'm looking to do Games Software Development and i've gotta heck of a lot of work to do if i want to do it. A few people here seem to be slating courses like this, but i've gotta be honest here; The Gaming Industry is HUGE. It generates a collosal amount of money every year, and it's expected to keep growing for the next 10 years! A lot of things seem to be suffering at the moment with the recession and everything, but the Gaming Industry sure ain't, so i think this is a great time to be taking a course like this, and a really good time to be getting into the industry. You can slate that as much as you want, but that's true. And either way, i'd find some like Maths at University boring. No offence to anyone doing it (And i envy you if you can), but it's definitely not for me
That's just my two cent anyway.
If Maths isn't for you then don't bother with Game Programming tbh.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Have you registered to vote?

Yes! (571)
37.71%
No - but I will (119)
7.86%
No - I don't want to (109)
7.2%
No - I can't vote (<18, not in UK, etc) (715)
47.23%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise