TV license, I don't see how they can legally send round a enforcer to my flat at uni. Watch

SchoochOverMyAssIsBigger
Badges: 0
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by Nick_000)
You recieved a letter that only fancies letters of the same sex? :eek: That is amazing. Did it tell you? Have you accepted the letter for who it truly is or are you having trouble? Perhaps a post in H&R can help you and your letter truly understand each other?

yeah describing things as gay is technically homophobia, quite clearly your lack of understanding what Communism is and the conservatives do is damaging on your part. uni is a place you shouldn't be going to love.
TommyWannabe
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by Simplicity)
Another thing it makes me sick that you need to pay to have a tv, what sort of communist crap is this?

I hope when the conservatives come into power they scrap it, but I doubt Cameron has the balls to do it. But, lol I don't really like to be threaten.

P.S. I'm not getting a tv licence and I'm going to watch tv. :mad:
P.P.S. But, lol the BBC. I don't see how its legal to send out basically threatening letters.
How do you think they make the programs? Does everyone in the BBC work for free?

You're an idiot.
L i b
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by Bhumbauze)
Not paying for a TV licence is NOT a crime by the way... it's a civil issue, not a criminal one.
You're simply wrong there. Receiving television signals without a licence from a Secretary of State (who in practice delegates this power to the 'licensing authority' - the BBC - who in turn delegate it to a private company) is a criminal offence under the Wireless Telegraphy Act 1949 (as extensively amended). If you violate it, you will be prosecuted and you will have a criminal record if convicted.
WhatAboutYe
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
I moved into my house last Wednesday, and a TV License man came that same day and was going to write me a warning for not already owning a license. He filled in all my details on his form but decided that he'll 'not put it through' this time as I just moved in that day and told me to get one immediately.

We intend on buying a license, but not until were all moved in and then split the cost. Cheeky *******s.
L i b
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by TommyWannabe)
How do you think they make the programs? Does everyone in the BBC work for free?

You're an idiot.
He clearly doesn't care how they make their programmes, and to be frank I agree with that position.
Lefty Leo
Badges: 10
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by chidona)
Or even better, just don't bring a TV.
There's really very little need for them in this day and age tbh
Yeah he's right. There's BBC Iplayer, Surfthechannel, various tvshow specific sites...
Mad Vlad
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
People, can we keep this discussion at a calm level, please? :lolwut:
TommyWannabe
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by L i b)
He clearly doesn't care how they make their programmes, and to be frank I agree with that position.
You don't care? Get rid of your TV and stop paying the license then.
L i b
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by Iain 815)
I moved into my house last Wednesday, and a TV License man came that same day and was going to write me a warning for not already owning a license. He filled in all my details on his form but decided that he'll 'not put it through' this time as I just moved in that day and told me to get one immediately.

We intend on buying a license, but not until were all moved in and then split the cost. Cheeky *******s.
Then you shouldn't have installed and used the television until that time, if you were concerned about legality. Or at least you shouldn't have been daft enough to admit that you were doing this.

It was basically the whim of a bloke on minimum wage which stopped you from being summoned to court, convicted, fined and given a criminal record. I certainly wouldn't want to rely on that.
L i b
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
You don't care? Get rid of your TV and stop paying the license then.
Nope.

But I didn't pay for a TV licence for my entire time at university, despite using a TV.
simeon
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by Simplicity)
I don't see how its legal to send out basically threatening letters.
You're complaining about the legality of a situation when it's you that's breaking the law?

An interesting concept.
nicky_p
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by sam.hunton)
Of course not, but all you need to do is open the door, or they have a look through the window, all they need to see is a TV to prosecute you.
Np, they have to see an aerial. A TV is perfectly legitimate: you do not have to have a TV license to watch DVDs, or use it as a computer monitor.

So as long as your aerial is well hidden, there's nothing they can do.
pocomontus
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
my friend refused to buy a tv license..... she got taken to court and had to pay over 600 quid in fees....

would have been simpler to buy a tv license dont you think??
TommyWannabe
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by L i b)
Nope.

But I didn't pay for a TV licence for my entire time at university, despite using a TV.
I thought you'd be more intelligent than that.
donuticus
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
The thing that is really galling is the fact that failing to pay for a telly licence is a criminal matter not civil. If you are fined you will not only have to pay the fine but you will have a criminal conviction.
cutekrazykay
Report 9 years ago
When I was at Uni, i was the only one in my flat that did not have tv license. We'd been there nearly 3 months when letters from the tv licensing company came through to all of my flatmates demanding they pay their license. I was only one not to get one and the other 5 had paid their tv license. Weird! I got a license after that!
L i b
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by simeon)
You're complaining about the legality of a situation when it's you that's breaking the law?

An interesting concept.
Not really. Any more than, say, we can criticise the police for engaging in criminal behaviour, entrapment etc.

(Original post by pocomontus)
my friend refused to buy a tv license..... she got taken to court and had to pay over 600 quid in fees....

would have been simpler to buy a tv license dont you think??
... or not to get caught.

I thought you'd be more intelligent than that.
I doubt it has anything to do with intelligence whatsoever.
Chrrye
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by simeon)

An interesting concept.
No, you get the letters regardless in halls, even if you dont own a tv. All threatening you with court. Its ******* annoying, harassment.
I took the lettters for my entire block (20) and burnt them.
Bhumbauze
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by Psyk)
I don't use the local library, but that is at least partially paid for through taxes. There's loads of services that your money pays for that you don't use. That's what taxes are. If you only had to pay for exactly what you used, then there wouldn't be a need for taxes.
Well at least you're calling it what it is - TV tax. I'm pretty sure you wouldn't get the government, or the TV licensing people, to admit that much.
Bhumbauze
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by L i b)
To be fair, I don't really understand the cost either. People go on about it paying for the "quality television" on the BBC... now if it was actually TRUE I might be able to get on board with that... but seriously, do ANY of us want to be putting money towards Celebrity Dancing Bears On Ice III or How Do You Solve a Problem Like Andrew Lloyd Webber? It's not quality! It's tat! And Doctor Who / Torchwood is pretty much the most cheap looking sci-fi since the 60's before anyone starts on that being "quality". Channel 4 (ignoring Skins...) makes much better quality TV, in my opinion, and doesn't rant on about needing license fees to do it.

All I watch on the BBC is EastEnders and Total Wipeout... and let's face it... those can't cost more than about £10 to make.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Have you registered to vote?

Yes! (322)
37.49%
No - but I will (67)
7.8%
No - I don't want to (62)
7.22%
No - I can't vote (<18, not in UK, etc) (408)
47.5%

Watched Threads