how much do u bench ? Watch

BBandB
Badges: 0
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by Powerlifter)
This is possibly the most pathetic comeback I have ever heard and is obviously from an uneducated (in terms of powerlifting) person.

Well Louie Simmons did invent adding bands to the bar for powerlifting after a proffessor friend of his suggested it. They were the first people to use bands in powerlifting in this way.

With your point about me saying "it looked parrallel to me" I was of course, being ironic: It looked miles past parrallel.
Powerlifter
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by Smack)
Physics. More specifically, Newton's second law:

Fnet = m(dv/dt)

Or:

Force = Mass X Acceleration

Accelerating a lighter weight fast can produce the same force that using a maximal weight weight accelerated more slowly can.

It can also help you blast through sticking points as well as it increases bar speed.
there is no actual supportive research to back this up, all research points to the maximum 1rm gains coming from weights around 70-80% and that speed training is not actually beneficial to 1rm - but thats just research
vj69
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
95kg 3x6
mipegg
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
Related Threads
Max Mosely has orgy with five "Nazi" prostitutes
In Motorsport, last updated

Seriously, wtf?
rotatoe
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
there is no actual supportive research to back this up, all research points to the maximum 1rm gains coming from weights around 70-80% and that speed training is not actually beneficial to 1rm - but thats just research

westside training has speed days and type II fibres (i think) grow best with fast movements (think sprinters)

I bench 110kg which is bang on mediocre in my new hardcore gym, dammit
made_of_fail
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by rotatoe)
westside training has speed days and type II fibres (i think) grow best with fast movements (think sprinters)

I bench 110kg which is bang on mediocre in my new hardcore gym, dammit
eh, not sure about that
Totally Tom
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
i think this thread would have been a lot better if it was of the format

how much you weigh: 66kg
how much you bench: 60kg
Powerlifter
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
And your point? they don't produce best maximal single rep effort so I don't care.

I think of sprinters and I think of a bunch of people who cannot squat bench or deadlift as much as powerlifter so who gives a feck!
burningnun
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
This has interesting implications for my training for the Worlds. I was thinking of starting my deadlift very light (120 kg) and doing it very fast, then adding weight every week so that in my last training week I hit a fast triple with 180. Of course I would still be doing heavier work afterwards with partial deadlifts and barbell rows. Do you think this is a good idea or do I need to start off pulling heavier from the floor? I've never really planned training in this way and I haven't needed to but my deadlift hasn't been progressing for **** lately as you know, so it's time to start thinking more.
Powerlifter
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by burningnun)
This has interesting implications for my training for the Worlds. I was thinking of starting my deadlift very light (120 kg) and doing it very fast, then adding weight every week so that in my last training week I hit a fast triple with 180. Of course I would still be doing heavier work afterwards with partial deadlifts and barbell rows. Do you think this is a good idea or do I need to start off pulling heavier from the floor? I've never really planned training in this way and I haven't needed to but my deadlift hasn't been progressing for **** lately as you know, so it's time to start thinking more.
I wouldn't pull heavy off the floor at all.

My maximum off the floor was 250 x 3 before my comp and pulled 320.

I did heavy lockout work but nothing heavy off the floor, just tires you out.

If you let me know what you plan to hit squat and deadlift wise I can input the numbers to excel and show you what my last build up was (PM your e-mail addy too)
burningnun
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
I wouldn't pull heavy off the floor at all.

My maximum off the floor was 250 x 3 before my comp and pulled 320.

I did heavy lockout work but nothing heavy off the floor, just tires you out.

If you let me know what you plan to hit squat and deadlift wise I can input the numbers to excel and show you what my last build up was (PM your e-mail addy too)
OK so my current plan of just working up to 180x3 is along the right lines then? I'd probably open in the low 200s, maybe 210. Not really sure what I'm planning to hit in the other lifts. Need a new bench shirt so will play that by ear and I want at least a 300 squat. In terms of squat I will only train in gear for 4 weeks because 1. I know my gear pretty well and 2. I don't have a monolift anymore.
-T1-
Report 9 years ago
90KG 6*5

I've only recently started training hard again. I stopped for about 6 - 7 months and concentrated more on other sutff, like my driving, etc.

Overall, i have been training on and off for about 4 years now and the most i can bench is 120KG.

I stick to 90KG for now because i'm comfortable with benching that amount on my own.
rotatoe
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
And your point? they don't produce best maximal single rep effort so I don't care.

I think of sprinters and I think of a bunch of people who cannot squat bench or deadlift as much as powerlifter so who gives a feck!

its just potential for extra muscle fibre growth... Slow 1rm lifts will not stimulate type II fibres as speed lifting does... This is a shot in the dark here but im thinking more muscle or more muscle fibre activation here = bigger 1rm
illy123
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by Totally Tom)
i think this thread would have been a lot better if it was of the format

how much you weigh: 66kg
how much you bench: 60kg
Depends whether you believe strength is relative or absolute, I side with the latter. The relationship is also not linear so it becomes very hard to compare.
Totally Tom
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by illy123)
Depends whether you believe strength is relative or absolute, I side with the latter. The relationship is also not linear so it becomes very hard to compare.
regardless of both of these, for me at least, it would give me a better grasp of what i should be aiming for.
illy123
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by Totally Tom)
regardless of both of these, for me at least, it would give me a better grasp of what i should be aiming for.
Then this isn't the thread for you as online people somehow become much stronger; nearly a whole plate stronger :p:
Powerlifter
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
its just potential for extra muscle fibre growth... Slow 1rm lifts will not stimulate type II fibres as speed lifting does... This is a shot in the dark here but im thinking more muscle or more muscle fibre activation here = bigger 1rm
If it is a true 1rm, even if it is slow what muscle fibers do you think are activated in moving that 100% effort as fast as possible?
Sam656
Report 9 years ago
http://drsquat.com/content/knowledge...training-split
Powerlifter
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
What a load of flex generation ****
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Have you registered to vote?

Yes! (254)
38.84%
No - but I will (45)
6.88%
No - I don't want to (47)
7.19%
No - I can't vote (<18, not in UK, etc) (308)
47.09%

Watched Threads