Report 9 years ago
Yawn!
aKarma
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by Good bloke)
And ex-students, replying to meaningless government surveys, are famed for the reliability of their responses, aren't they?
Exactly my thoughts
If I was an Oxford economist who was being payed peanuts and in denial, I know what I'd be putting down :p:
Easywellyes
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 9 years ago
(Original post by prospectivEEconomist)
68% of people were in full time paid work - that equates to around 175 students. Are you saying only 20 people replied or something? :rolleyes: If the person who was earning 12 k replied, I am sure the vast majority replied.
Again they don't teach you statistics very well.

A respondance rate of 20% would be by all measures a good rate, and you would be foolish to think they would get much more.
lj789
Report 9 years ago
what is the source based on anyway?
Good bloke
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by Easywellyes)
A respondance rate of 20% would be by all measures a good rate, and you would be foolish to think they would get much more.
And you would be foolish to think that such a response would give a credible approximation to the truth.
Haz313
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
sigh, people studying for Phds aren't included. Only people in paid full-time employment.
Argument still holds, seeing as a significantly larger percentile will go into academics/research/governmental work from the masters
Easywellyes
Rep:
?
(Original post by Good bloke)
which means subject sample sizes could be small and uncertain in terms of statistical value.
Please, no statistics are perfect.

But give the statisticians at the HESA some credit - they are proper statisticians and know about all about sample bias.
dannylfc_1
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
I guess I come in at number 2! Wish i applied to Cambrdige now though!
Easywellyes
Rep:
?
(Original post by Haz313)
Argument still holds, seeing as a significantly larger percentile will go into academics/research/governmental work from the masters
And having a masters adds a premium to your pay in all of these sectors. Please, I am far from an idiot.
Haz313
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
And having a masters adds a premium to your pay in all of these sectors. Please, I am far from an idiot.
Enough of a premium to make up for the wage differentials between those and those going into the likes of banking/consultancy etc?
Easywellyes
Rep:
?
(Original post by Haz313)
Enough of a premium to make up for the wage differentials between those and those going into the likes of banking/consultancy etc?
For a starting salary yes. Lots of master students will also go into banking/consultancy and they will also earn a premimum to start with.
illy123
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by Kellybaby)
number 2... hell yeah!
No, no, no. It should be:

Number 2
Metamorphosis_S
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
What a load of rubbish .
It doesn't seem to take into account anything about which combinations of degrees are actually offered where. For example Oxford doesn't even do straight economics, so it's obvious that the people who carry on PPE with on philosophy and politics for example, or go into a history based job like teaching after doing Modern history and economics, are going to be making less money than the straight economists who are more likely to go into something like banking or whatever it is economists do to sell their souls..
Roundabout
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
:woo: Oxford economists are off the charts!
Good bloke
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
Please, no statistics are perfect.
Of course, but there is a world of difference between fit for purpose and having so many holes you could sink the Titanic with them.

But give the statisticians at the HESA some credit - they are proper statisticians and know about all about sample bias.
They would get some credit if they didn't hide their methods, declare results for non-existent courses and confuse the samples by unavowedly splitting students from one course between two entirely different course areas.
illy123
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by Metamorphosis_S)
What a load of rubbish .
It doesn't seem to take into account anything about which combinations of degrees are actually offered where. For example Oxford doesn't even do straight economics, so it's obvious that the people who carry on PPE with on philosophy and politics for example, or go into a history based job like teaching after doing Modern history and economics, are going to be making less money than the straight economists who are more likely to go into something like banking or whatever it is economists do to sell their souls..
Rather than the altruistic individuals who go on to teach history ?

(Original post by Roundabout)
:woo: Oxford economists are off the charts!
Maybe the Oxonians who earn more than £40k are too modest to report back? :p:
Jarexi
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
how can you look at specific subjects like english?
Jarexi
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
WTF how is HULL ranked above places like st andrews and York - which is considered the best place for English.

God im confused.
Easywellyes
Rep:
?
(Original post by Jarexi)
WTF how is HULL ranked above places like st andrews and York - which is considered the best place for English.

God im confused.
Hull is one of the best unis in the UK?
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by Quady)
Due to euro (as in the currency) strength and it being a good uni.

Thats pretty explainable...
belfast is in northern ireland, they use sterling there you idiot
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Have you registered to vote?

Yes! (316)
37.4%
No - but I will (66)
7.81%
No - I don't want to (62)
7.34%
No - I can't vote (<18, not in UK, etc) (401)
47.46%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise