Rose on a first date? yay or nay? Watch

dimexi
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 9 years ago
Ok, Rose = clearly wrong choice.. flowers yes, was thinking of popping into the flower shop after work but then knowing my luck, she will have a hayfever reaction.
I will just turn up today and ask what kind of flowers she likes depending on how the night goes
Smtn
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
no.
Flavity
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by dimexi)
Ok, Rose = clearly wrong choice.. flowers yes, was thinking of popping into the flower shop after work but then knowing my luck, she will have a hayfever reaction.
I will just turn up today and ask what kind of flowers she likes depending on how the night goes
Erm you should be a bit more subtle than just asking what her fave flowers are... you will lose the surprise aspect which is the best bit.

Bring flowers into the conversation somehow and I assure you she'll drop in what her fave flowers are
mr-breaker
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
She is actually a good girl that has fallen to a bad guy before, so it's why I want to show her I aint one of the bad guys
Irrelevant. If she likes you you can do whatever you want within reason (because almost everyone has some sort of breaking point). And you think she's a good girl..............I can guarantee that you haven't had the sort of conversations with her that would lead to that conclusion.

You can be Peter Perfect, but if she is not attracted to you you're **** outta luck. She already knows what (if anything) she wants to do with you.

If she wants you, the rose will make NO DIFFERENCE
If she is NOT attracted, the rose will make NO DIFFERENCE. It will only become an anecdote that she tells the next real man (that doesn't have to engage in Fancy Play Syndrome) that sweeps her off her feet.
romski
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
too heavy for a first date,

1st date - meet them, make sure they are of sane mind, if you like them kisses (tonuges optional)

2nd date confirm everything you thought you knew from first date (more kissing, groping and hugging)

3rd date - make it something special or at least make an effort here, (you should be looking to go back to someones bed)
riotgrrrl
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
I dunno, how old are you? under 16 and its cute, after 16 and I would seriously say dont, just pay her meal. she may like it but are you sure you wnat to run the risk if you like the girl? I would say its far cuter to have flowers as a one month anniversary surprise...
Anon the 7th
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
yeah

but take the thorns off...that could hurt :p:
Curly A
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
My boyfriend got me a whole bunch of roses on our first date. They were really beautiful. I did find it a little bit cheesy though, but hey... A year and a half later and im still with him!
EskimoJo
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
I wouldn't mind the idea in theory, but I know in reality, I'd be irritated at having to look after a rose all night. First date or 100th date. Give me flowers later.

Good luck on your date!
Cultivated
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
If my bf ever brought me a rose, I'd laugh at him. Srsly. It's just so cheesy and Julia Roberts-movie alike. It's sweet yes, but not him and I'd ask him if he picked it up from the tube, stolen it from a homeless man or want a threesome. :wtf:

Maybe the girl is allergic to flowers? Other than that, it could be a cute thing to do. Just not my style. Good luck OP.
Cupcakee
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
Cute
a12
Badges: 1
Report 9 years ago
no, no
sil3nt_cha0s
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
We're almost 10 years through the 21st century - roses are old-fashioned, girls much prefer a box of chocolates, something they can get their teeth into :teeth:
makinghistory
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by bete noire)

This girl has it in one
(Original post by grantrough)
(insert what you said here!)
(Original post by Sam656)
(as above)
Sam 656...I'm not saying he's a rapist....much too sweet a gesture...unless it was laced with rohypnol... such an ironic deflowering.

Glad you other two agree! Sorry can't be bothered to go back and quote you all!

I haven't read through all 6 pages but I am hoping the general consensus is no!

To be honest even if it was a 1st year anniversary, a rose is still unoriginal.

I can see you're trying to be sweet and thoughtful but it'd be such a cringe moment.
pegglybum
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
I think its incredibly cute though works better if you knew the girl before for a bit as then it really marks the start of an you as a couple, rather than friends

Depends where you're going for your date too. Dinner / movie = goood idea, bowling / somewhere more relaxed = bad idea

Depends what the girls like too, if she's into all hat romantic symbolism stuff then go for it. I personally would love spontaneously receiving a rose on a date ... :love:
FootPrints
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
Was just wondering - is it a good romantic gesture to give a girl a rose on the first date? Or you reckon it's too full on?

Girls - would you love to be given a rose on the first date

Guys - would you give a rose on a first date (come on, don't be cheap).

Replies from females would be appreciated.
I'd love it :love: Though I am pretty soppy that way :o:
x y z
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
It's a bit naff. I'd rather receive nothing.
Local_United_Fan
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
Yea, also give her the key to the metal vice that's clamped around your testicles.
haz220807
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by Sh4w)
Like what? It's a first date, you're unlikely to know them very well.
Well it depends, obviously if you don't know them at all then it would be hard but if you've met them before/know their friends you would be able to get something more personal. I'm not talking about getting something really extravagent, just maybe find out their favourite flower and get them one of them instead of a rose, if they absolutely love a certain sort of chocolate get them some of that etc.

I would be much more appreciative if someone had taken the time to find out what I like and surprise me with it, it shows that they've put some thought into it.
dimexi
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 9 years ago
This still going on?!?!! LOL!

Well, thanks for the opinions guys and for whoever suggested I'm under 16? No I'm not, dont take the mick! I just wanted a second opinion for something I hadnt done before..

P.S: It was an incredibly sensible idea NOT to take any flowers or roses or anything 'cos our meeting plans were all over the place cos of the rain and I think the flowers might have been a very awkward moment lol. I didnt take them anyway, so I was safe. To be honest, it wouldnt have swayed her either way, us going out and having a nice relaxed chat was the main thing.

Thanks guys
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Have you registered to vote?

Yes! (502)
37.66%
No - but I will (103)
7.73%
No - I don't want to (91)
6.83%
No - I can't vote (<18, not in UK, etc) (637)
47.79%

Watched Threads