Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by flugestuge)
Your English is excruciatingly bad.
Well *I* appreciated your comment.

(Original post by madima)
lolz that made me laugh. it's like you're implying that tsr members are the gods. if this guy gets over 90% in his entrance exam and gets dismissed as fast as some of you think, i would honestly lose hope in the admissions system.
Well, based on his posts, if this guy gets in I'll lose all faith in the admissions system.
hobnob
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
lolz that made me laugh. it's like you're implying that tsr members are the gods. if this guy gets over 90% in his entrance exam and gets dismissed as fast as some of you think, i would honestly lose hope in the admissions system.
You mean you're not?:confused:
Andy the Anarchist
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by Teebs)
Well, based on his posts, if this guy gets in I'll lose all faith in the admissions system.
I'm starting to think the OP was a troll, but if not, then they're a sad example of what obsessing over Oxford can do to people.
Purbasha T
Badges: 0
Report Thread starter 9 years ago
(Original post by Laconic)
Right. Well, although flugestuge's point may seem harsh to you, it is very valid. A large component of any UCAS application is the personal statement, and the largest individual component of any Oxford application is surely the interview.

Based on what we've seen here, your personal statement will not be of the best quality, and - if in an interview situation you find yourself unable to answer or queried about your academic record - it appears that you'll reel off a long list of excuses before telling the interviewer to "Get a F Life!", whatever the hell that's meant to mean.

I think you should listen to your own advice and find a life for yourself outside of Oxford, because what everybody in this topic has told you is that you will not get an offer. The university is very rigorous at taking extenuating circumstances into account, but I don't think any of your excuses qualify as extenuating. You didn't do a Maths Olympiad because it was too far to travel. Fair enough, it's a semi-valid reason not to have gone, but it doesn't make up for the fact you now don't have that award.

You don't seem to realise that the vast majority of the advice being offered here is constructive and helpful. Nobody is calling you an idiot, your grades are still relatively strong, but they are not strong enough for Oxbridge Maths, when an overwhelmingly large proportion of candidates enter with AAA(Aa) or more, with STEP, Olympiad's and more.

I really do think it's time to move on. Don't waste one of your choices on Oxford, and spend less time thinking about your chances and more time on getting your grades to top university standard. Good luck!
Most of the people who have posted here did have valid points, which is why my responses to theirs were normal and within the box too. But this flugestuge dude, out of nowhere, just came in and put one of the most discouraging comments ever without even having a look at my question (well, even some of others did the same; but at least they tried to explain their points). Though it doesn't normally bother me at all, but sometimes I really want to have a go at people like these, who do nothing but mischief.

And if you go back to the description of my question, you can see the question that I asked (which is typed in bold), is that I wanted to know whether Oxford (or other Unis) have the right to specify grades to me in modules that I wouldn't be awarded an A level for. Umm, okay, well the mistake I did was that I put too much details before that and people got distracted by the time they reached the end of my first post, and ''assumed'' that I'm one of those askers again who keep asking about their chances of getting into the top Unis, with relatively low grades.

Every single thing you talked about having a very low chance into getting in to Oxford etc, I know all that (obviously). Oxford is no ordinary place to get into and my circumstances aren't any spectacular either for them to consider me as one of those exception. But anyway I'm taking a calculated step before I'm applying there. I have four other choices with a wide range of grade requirements (and guess what, for two of which, I've got the grades required already). And so if, expectedly, I get rejected from Oxford; that wouldn't be the end of the world for me. Lol, man; it's funny how people just ''assume'' just because I showed a little of bit of keenness to have a go at a big thing, I just dropped of my pants and got out of the circle of reality. NOOOO, I AM NOT. I don't know why people got to assume that. I din't even ask that question. Doh!

And I don't understand how one can judge one's comprehension in a language just by some messy posts. You obviously don't proofread something a hundred times after posting in online forums or whatever; as long as you somehow make people understand what you're trying to say. Well, I agree that in lots of places my posts weren't clear because of mumble-jumble of too many sentences. But OBVIOUSLY I wouldn't be doing that while writing my personal statement. C'mon man!

Anyways, I know that most of you had good intentions of guiding me towards the right direction. I appreciate that and thank you all of you (barring a few, need I say more!). But criticism shouldn't be destructive.

[Right then; this particular post of mine, I posted with proper consciousness; what does this post tell about my English? Hopefully, at least, not as mediocre as some of you thought; but still you'll get some errors. Why? Coz I blooooody dint proofread it :mad: as some of you always want me to] (Damn, I can't believe I posted the last couple of lines; bad people(a few of you, not all ), bad influence)

...spend less time thinking about your chances .....
And here comes another........''ASSUMPTION.'' :p:
Laconic
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
He can't get an A in Further Maths, and got an E in a regular Maths module. What on earth makes you think he's getting 90% in the MAT?
Purbasha T
Report Thread starter 9 years ago
Not that I am surely gonna get over 90%. But posts like these make you wanna live again.
madima
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
He can't get an A in Further Maths, and got an E in a regular Maths module. What on earth makes you think he's getting 90% in the MAT?
i think what the op is asking indirectly is "do i still have a chance of getting into oxford?" and almost everyone is replying with "no way. ever.". i think that if he exaggerates the language issue* and gets a high score in the entrance exam, he has a reasonable chance.

*i came to this country in year 6. because of language issues, i failed like every exam and struggled to scrape a pass (even for maths) for the next couple of years.
Josho
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by flugestuge)
Your English is excruciatingly bad.
Comparable with quite a few other mathmos I know. I think the OP's language skills are better than any I might attain in Bangladesh in three years, but then I don't have my heart set on one of the top Bangladeshi universities.
OP - in all honesty I think you have little chance of getting an offer. Most of my 'Science' friends got +90% in all of their maths modules and moan about how inadequate they are compared to the mathmos. I'm not prepared to say you're a poor mathematician, but in my experience you have to be pretty damn special to get a place at Oxbridge. You may be very good but your results indicate that you're hardly in the Maths elite. If you're desperate give it a shot (I think I got AABC at AS and thus had to sit a couple of retakes and I know students here with less than 3 As at A2), but see it as a wild card rather than an expectation.
flugestuge
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
lolz that made me laugh. it's like you're implying that tsr members are the gods.
There are no gods here, but at least one admissions tutor from Oxbridge has already posted on this thread. The advice from him was to "have a Plan B".

Many of the other bits of advice are from those who have already been through the Oxford admissions process, some successfully and many unsuccessfully.
llacerta
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by Purbasha T)
Thanks and that's just what my thinking process was upto now and will always be too. Exactly, no point leaving any stones unturned. Good luck to you, too. Who knows! We both might be classmates from next year :woo: (assuming you're applying for Maths too). Cheers.....Oxford! Here we come. :p:
Haha, good Lord no, Experimental Psychology for me. But yes, good luck!
hobnob
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
OK, this thread has gone on long enough; there have been no radically new insights over the past four pages or so, and I don't think there's anything to be gained from leaving it open.

Purbasha: if you want a more definite answer to your question, email the maths department (which is probably a good idea anyway considering your various special circumstances).
X
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• University of Oxford
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Wed, 3 Jul '19
  • University of Oxford
    Thu, 4 Jul '19
  • University of Oxford
    Fri, 20 Sep '19

Have you registered to vote?

Yes! (508)
37.71%
No - but I will (103)
7.65%
No - I don't want to (92)
6.83%
No - I can't vote (<18, not in UK, etc) (644)
47.81%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise