Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    My biggest culprit is saying, 'moi, aussi' - all the damn time. I forget its not English. When with my friends back home, I throw in lots of French phrases but so do they. We;ve been doing it since school and never stopped. It gets worse when we all go round to my best friend's house as her whole family speak French and its kinda normal round there.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by gillybeans)
    I wouldn't sleep with someone who had slit eyes like yours anyway babe.
    My eyes are perfectly fine thank you - if your such a keyboard warrior then why don't you put something up? The photo I assume your referring to was at a festival after about half an hours sleep and the sun right in my eyes - I think I can be forgiven for squinting

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by CombineHarvester)
    I prefer it when the word Habibi is reserved for girlfriend/boyfriend/partner. Anyone else and it's a bit weird and it dilutes the importance of it. If someone calls you and only you Habibi it makes them feel a lot better than if you're brandishing it about willy nilly.
    I guess, I use it/habibti all the time though tbh, to most of my girlfriends and even a few guys. I don't have a real habibi.

(Original post by TheDustyKid)
    this is so true, another of mine is mshek?? (right?) :p:
    Uh, only speak limited Arabic haha. What's that word?

(Original post by Hoda--x)
    I always say this without realizing i blame my gran. :rolleyes:
    Heh I used to have loads of Arab friends, I blame them.
    (Original post by FZka)
    Yalla !

Tell me about it
    :p:
    Yalla hayati! :p:

(Original post by FatFridge)
    Is your native language Arabic then?

But on topic, I speak English and my native language fluently but never make the mistake of switching between the two. I think I've only done it once or twice where I've said yes in my native language instead of saying it in English.
    Ha no it's not. I don't speak very much at all, but I use some terms interchangeably with English. Even my mum says stuff like 'yalla' (only in the house/to me and my sister though!) and she's totally White/English. I guess it just rubbed off.

ReputationRep:
    absolutely hate people who do this

that and only other language I'm half decent at is swedish and nobody would know what the hell I was saying if I spoke any of that

ReputationRep:
    ya'ni/ya3ni is a hard one to avoid. Very useful in speech when explaining something. Or 'bas' when Im contradicting something

But rarely do it

One could say English in itself is random bits of languages put together ...

ReputationRep:
    Something called 'John speak' no one will get it unless ur part of 'the ladz'

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Bubbles*de*Milo)
    Yeah, I'm always going 'yalla' to people, it's the best word in the World (short and sweet, means: hurry up, come on, quickly...)

And I call loads of people Habibi.
    Hahahahahahahahahaha

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by myexodus)
    Yeah, I throw in a lot of common phrases like 'yes', 'hi' in Japanese all the time, and sometimes some german too...
    こんにちは ^_^ noticed you're going for japanese! i just started at newcastle (and my other choices were very similar to yours) so if you got any qs, feel free to ask!

And back on topic...generally it seems pretentious when people jsut slip in random phrases from languages they barely know, and stupid when people who aren't fluent in a language claim that "they can't help it"...:rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    Klingon, mainly

ReputationRep:
    Yes. But only like "oui", "bonjour" or "c'est bon!"

That's all I remember from GCSE now

ReputationRep:
    I tend to say, ya3ne, yalla, SHOO!? and habibti [arabic]; d'accord and oui [french]; and the occaisional BAX [go away!]!

depends on where i am, who i'm talking to, etc.

ReputationRep:
    non.

ReputationRep:
    I tend to greet people, and say things like 'thank you', 'goodbye/night' etc. in German or sometimes French. I know hardly any other either language (especially French) but I just do it for a laugh.

ReputationRep:
    At home, yes

I tend to speak french when I'm drunk aswell =/ It really gets on people's nerves =/

ReputationRep:
    When I speak my hakka language, I sometimes find myself chucking in a bit of english

ReputationRep:
    I speak French and sometimes throw some English and Mauritian Creole in the mix just for the fun of it. Otherwise, never.

ReputationRep:
    I tend to drift into french sometimes lol

ReputationRep:
    I have a cousin who's a dutch-born ghanaian. It's the most amazing thing when I hear her talking to friends on the phone in a mixture of dutch, twi and english. My parents usually use a mixture of twi and english too. I only speak english fluently, although I'm learning french and spanish but they don't come naturally so it's not something I do.

ReputationRep:
    Yeah, my norwegian isn't good enough to have proper conversations so I speak Norwenglish.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: October 11, 2009
Poll
Black Friday: Yay or Nay?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.