Turn on thread page Beta

Driving without a license watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    Crikey another TSR user with common sense and common public opinion, surely not!?

:p:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mart2306)
    LOL.
    So now you define 'real' criminals.

As I've said, if you don't like the law then get it changed.

In the meantime people will continue to do illegal acts.
    What do you want to have happen to them? A parking warden to give a fixed penalty notice?
    How am I going to get the law changed exactly? I would rather vote for a party who believes in half of what I believe in, then they might fulfil a quarter of my beliefs.

What do you mean? I want them to be locked up, the ones that cause illegal acts with emotional attachment and traffic laws and other silly laws which help society run can remain as they are, but with less prevalence. Did you read any of my post or are you on a tirade to try and make me look like an idiot?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by gbduo)
    As far as I can remember, statistically, burglaries are higher in deprived areas than well off areas, I remember reading this as part of my degree, it didn't make any sense to me either, but hey, steal from people who have nothing is just the way they roll.

Of course, I am not advocating that the police should focus on one task, traffic enforcement is important, just not as important as other crimes and I believe with more manpower and throwing more weight at it, these crimes could be tackled more effectively. Traffic enforcement should be a low priority yet whenever I am out around Southampton it seems to be the only thing the police are doing is to catch speeders with speed cameras or in their cars.

They don't give a rats arse about drivers under the influence, indeed a clearly drunk driver drove past a policeman in Southampton and he stayed where he was with his laser. Priorities are all messed up.
    The thing about crimes is that the police usually have to wait for it to happen before they can do anything about it.
    They can try and decrease the number of idiots on the road by methods such as speed cameras. They can pull over some people who seem to be having trouble.
    Or not notice someone else driving a bit badly.

Focusing more police on certain crimes won't do much for the crime figures. Still got to find the criminal. Still got to allow the courts to do their thing.
    And still have to collect evidence. Which isn't always something that more manpower would help.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by gbduo)
    How am I going to get the law changed exactly? I would rather vote for a party who believes in half of what I believe in, then they might fulfil a quarter of my beliefs.

What do you mean? I want them to be locked up, the ones that cause illegal acts with emotional attachment and traffic laws and other silly laws which help society run can remain as they are, but with less prevalence. Did you read any of my post or are you on a tirade to try and make me look like an idiot?

The same way other people get laws changed. Campaigning.

I'm not on a tirade to make you look like an idiot, you can choose to do that yourself or not as the fancy takes you.

Not sure what you mean by less prevalence - its been a long day and my drugs are running out. Can you clarify what you mean?

ReputationRep:
    The thing about crimes is that the police usually have to wait for it to happen before they can do anything about it.
    They can try and decrease the number of idiots on the road by methods such as speed cameras. They can pull over some people who seem to be having trouble.
    Or not notice someone else driving a bit badly.

Focusing more police on certain crimes won't do much for the crime figures. Still got to find the criminal. Still got to allow the courts to do their thing.
    And still have to collect evidence. Which isn't always something that more manpower would help.
    So instead of placing police officers in crime hotspots where crimes are taking place regularly, such as council estates, you would rather they chased traffic offences until said crimes took place? Rather than just having a police presence?

I'm sorry, but I completely disagree with you, if there was just a police presence in these troubled areas it would be better than what we have now. If that means that less officers are available to fight traffic then so be it. There are far too many children growing up into a life of crime which is far more costly to society than someone driving uninsured/unlicensed. Indeed, it is more likely that these drivers come from these areas. If a police presence was in these high risk areas then related crimes would also decrease.

It is not rocket science.

ReputationRep:
    The same way other people get laws changed. Campaigning.

I'm not on a tirade to make you look like an idiot, you can choose to do that yourself or not as the fancy takes you.

Not sure what you mean by less prevalence - its been a long day and my drugs are running out. Can you clarify what you mean?
    Campaigning takes far too much effort and I would rather move to Sweden, it is much better there anyway.

www.dictionary.com

Exactly as it says on the tin. I'll give you a clue as your drugs are wearing off, it is number 2 definition when you search for it. Put less in front of it and voila, your answer.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    (Original post by matrix15)
    You were incredibly daft to do it knowing that it's illegal. I'm sure they were suspicious for a reason.
    This

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by fruit_n_veg)
    I know I should read the whole thread before posting, but I'm hungry and can't wait :P

If the original poster reads this, if I recall correctly the offence he will be charged with is "driving other than in accordance with a licence" which I think will generally lead to three penalty points - and probably higher premiums in the future. The poster implied the cops didnt try to do him for no insurance (probably because he did have insurance policy on the vehicle, although the terms of the policy were being broken), which he is damn lucky for.

EDIT: just reread original post - no inurance - how you got away with that I'll never know!
    They seized my car for driving without insurance.

(Original post by .Andrew.)
    Hold on a second: "More Points"?!

Are you a muppet or something?

Serves you right. Should ban you from driving for 2 years or maybe when they crush your car, you SHOULD be in it.
    More points? I don't have any points at the moment?

ReputationRep:
    You were very unlucky dude!! My mate drove around in his mate's cars for a year with no licence / insurance etc, etc during lunch time / free time / after school when he was at sixth form last year. Ironically, he's now doing Law at the University of Bristol.

Kinda takes the p*ss!! He's a jammy b*astard!! lol

ReputationRep:
    My older brother was caught driving my moms car with my then 2 year old brother ridin shotgun in a car seat.. he had no license no insurance not even a provis my man.. he got a 6 month suspension. so maybe because youv been learning and wernt far from home. and im guesing your driving was on point.. ur a bit better of.. gd luck man...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Bennyboy260692)

To cut it short, I had my car confiscated for driving without insurance,
    Ben
    Thats the most stupid thing to ever do,

The car was uninsured

How bait can you be, all the police have to do is run your registration plate, and boom, they find out you're uninsured

You would have been the same off, driving a stolen car

If you had driven an insured car, that was atleast insured under someone's name, you would never get caught.

My friends drive other's friend's cars, and when they stopped by police, they just give the insured driver's details.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Naffy)
    Thats the most stupid thing to ever do,

The car was uninsured

How bait can you be, all the police have to do is run your registration plate, and boom, they find out you're uninsured

You would have been the same off, driving a stolen car

If you had driven an insured car, that was atleast insured under someone's name, you would never get caught.

My friends drive other's friend's cars, and when they stopped by police, they just give the insured driver's details.
    Read the whole thread maybe? Understand the situation maybe?
    The car is insured, for both me and my dad to drive. Yet my insurance was invalid because I didn't have a driving supervisor. So when they ran the number plate, it would have shown as being insured.

Poll
Should Banksy be put in prison?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.