Turn on thread page Beta

Percentage of Muslims and the influence on society. watch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by JChoudhry)
    I assume you are a Christian, right, because of course no one would really want to say that Hitler was following their faith as it would look bad on the faith itself.
    No I'm an Atheist.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by JChoudhry)
    I assume you are a Christian, right, because of course no one would really want to say that Hitler was following their faith as it would look bad on the faith itself.
    Hitler claimed to be Christian, but in his private life he was very critical of Christianity.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by roots)
    The distinction between moderate and extreme makes no sense. It's what you the Non Muslim decides on. A Non Muslim might not like something or understand it and you might hear the term extremist. Then there is the promotion of moderate Islam, what is moderate Islam? Is it a non practising Muslim?
    I don't know why you're attacking me for using this because I explicitly stated that I do not like the term and only used it because the common conception of what a "moderate Muslim" and a "militant Muslim" is is widespread and can probably be considered common knowledge. Expediency, have you heard of it?

(Original post by roots)
    In the East there is conflict, there is poverty, there is chaos and anger and a lack of religious knowledge.
    There is conflict... well, duh. That's because the people there are more violent. They are fundamentally illiberal. And this is why they are poor and have a lack of knowledge, too.

(Original post by roots)
    Muslims are supposed to be peaceful but we also have the right to defend ourselves and fight oppression and injustice. Every Muslim wants peace but sometimes you have to fight for peace because the people of evil are fighting to make evil prevail. You can't rid the world of evil without engaging with it. They're using planes and bombs and what should we use, letters to our MPs, fundraising, posters and petitions. The media and press want to label Muslims and any threat as violent or extreme, (maybe invent a few words).
    I read this as: Every Muslim wants peace but sometimes our enemies fight back. The press labels Muslims as violent -- as a threat -- to Britain because Islam is fundamentally illiberal and any decent Muslim should stick to the fundamentals of their religion. (Just like any decent person should stick to the fundamentals of their views.)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Diaz89)
    Every country that America sticks its nose in is ****** up.
    Japan, South Korea, Britain and Germany don't seem particularly '****** up' to me.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Delta Usafa)
    Because America sticks its nose up Islamic countries that are already messed up?
    Err. I don't think so. We can look at Somalia for example, After you got your ass handed to you in the 90s, a decade later the Islamic Courts managed finally to bring calm and order to that state, what does America do? yep, you guessed it, overthrows them.

If you wanna bring that up, I could just say that the vast majority of countries that Britain colonized are now crap, and it would be just as valid. So stick to the topic without bringing up your nationalist crap.
    Yeah I totally agree with you on that point. Colonialism ****** up the world, yet America continues to **** up the world.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Supporting21)
    Japan, South Korea, Britain and Germany don't seem particularly '****** up' to me.
    Oh yes not after Hiroshima/Nagasaki......

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by notepad)
    Just because they say they're doing it for their religion, doesn't mean they are correct.
    So what? It's done in the name of their religion.

ReputationRep:
    I know because you can't even make one valid point :P

Anyway, I think I have to go Bye people x
    lol, no.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Supporting21)
    But it was all out of self-interest.

And the Japanese for example, were prosecuted against like the Muslims are now. So were the Koreans etc

Again, they only considered helping the South Koreans was because they didn't want the spread of communism; not to help Korea :rolleyes:

I really have to go now -bye!

ReputationRep:
    Yeah those atomic attacks so famous for destroying South Korea, Britain and Germany...

ReputationRep:
    I am unsure who gave this quote, but it is one I agree with.

"You can have moderate Muslims but you cannot have moderate Islam"

The religion of Islam can be seen as quite barbaric. Many Muslims do follow the principles set out in the Qur'an.
    However, as with other religions, it is entirely possible for their to be more moderate Muslims who do not live their life by the teachings of the Qur'an.

I believe what exacerbates the situation in regards to Muslims and Islam is that we; in our Christian countries, have experienced more extreme Christianity, and we have seen it become exceptionally moderate.

Take Anglicanism for example. I would argue that it merely incorporates Christianity into British views and ideals. Essentially, Anglicanism is more about the British way of life than a religion.

There are many extremist Muslims and there always will be for some time. However, I do believe that until we see countries like Egypt and Iran acting in a more moderator tone of Islam, we will not see progress. Islam has not yet gone through the stage of development where it becomes more moderate.

However, wider issues such as immigration plays into this as well. In Britain, the general dislike and distrust towards Muslims is not a emotion necessarily of their own making, rather the making of a Labour Governments poor immigration policy. The majority of the British people dislike extremist views, dislike strict views, dislikes anything that goes against their freedom to do as they please - Individual freedom!

Our current immigration policy allows in too many immigrants. Rich immigrants are assimilated quite quickly into the upper class of Britain. Poor immigrants are not and in many cases create their own community which is faced with crime and other negative social factors.

If we were to install a more strict immigration policy in Britain, I do believe that the level of distrust and dislike towards the Muslim community [to keep in context with this thread] would be drastically reduced.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Delta Usafa)
    Hitler claimed to be Christian, but in his private life he was very critical of Christianity.
    Perhaps more to the point - he never justified the holocaust by declaring that it was christian.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Renal)
    So what? It's done in the name of their religion.
    :rolleyes: doesn't mean it's what the religion accepts. You're contradicting yourself now ...

(Original post by nolongerhearthemusic)
    lol, no.
    Lol, yes

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Bagration)
    Yeah those atomic attacks so famous for destroying South Korea, Britain and Germany...
    Well yes with the Dresden Bombings in Germany, but unlike 9/10 of the world, Britain wanted America to stick its nose in because it shares (perhaps used to) a similar philosophy.

ReputationRep:
    Whilst I think it was morally wrong for the US to deploy nuclear weapons in that particular instance, you have to realise that Japan and the United States were embroiled in a horrible war at that particular time. Anyway, that's not the point. What I am saying is that not all countries the United States meddles with is a mess.

ReputationRep:
    Lol, yes
    Congratulations on your brilliant refutations of my arguments.

ReputationRep:
    :rolleyes: doesn't mean it's what the religion accepts. You're contradicting yourself now ...
    Who gives a **** what your imaginary friend wants. This is not about a 1400 year-old story, this is about the way people behave today and what motivates them to do it.

It is not a contradiction, I argued that there are atrocities committed in the name of Islam and I have argued that saying 'that's not islamic' doesn't negate the atrocities. Is that too ******* complicated for you?

ReputationRep:
    Well yes with the Dresden Bombings in Germany, but unlike 9/10 of the world, Britain wanted America to stick its nose in because it shares (perhaps used to) a similar philosophy.
    Please understand two vital facts that you seem to have skipped over.

1. Japan declared war on America
    2. Germany declared war on America

So pick out some countries where America tried to aid for positive reasons (eg. South Korea) and messed up. There are some, I will grant you that.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Bagration)
    I don't know why you're attacking me for using this because I explicitly stated that I do not like the term and only used it because the common conception of what a "moderate Muslim" and a "militant Muslim" is is widespread and can probably be considered common knowledge. Expediency, have you heard of it?
    I'mnot attacking you.

There is conflict... well, duh. That's because the people there are more violent. They are fundamentally illiberal. And this is why they are poor and have a lack of knowledge, too.
    So there are absolutely no reasons for violence. No cause. Peoepl just want to be violent?

I read this as: Every Muslim wants peace but sometimes our enemies fight back. The press labels Muslims as violent -- as a threat -- to Britain because Islam is fundamentally illiberal and any decent Muslim should stick to the fundamentals of their religion. (Just like any decent person should stick to the fundamentals of their views.)
    Muslims always start it, don't they. :rolleyes:

Fundamentally illiberal? If we were so illiberal you wouldn't have made it here, everyone would be a Muslim and since heritage and tradition is so important to Brits especially, you'd certainly be a Muslim today.

Why don't you read what i've written.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Renal)
    Who gives a **** what your imaginary friend wants. This is not about a 1400 year-old story, this is about the way people behave today and what motivates them to do it.

It is not a contradiction, I argued that there are atrocities committed in the name of Islam and I have argued that saying 'that's not islamic' doesn't negate the atrocities. Is that too ******* complicated for you?
    You don't seem like a very nice person

LOL

I never said it negates the atrocities, I am just stating it is not what Islam teaches.

Poll
Have you ever experienced bullying?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.