Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by EierVonSatan)
    Welcome to organic chemistry
    If only I were better at maths... I'd happily be a theoretician. I find it quite interesting, and the hours are so much more convenient for humans.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by EierVonSatan)
    Yeah, but they don't blow things up

Besides, sleep is overated.
    They also don't stab themselves with needles.

That said, I would miss dry ice... and liquid nitrogen.

ReputationRep:
    Right... I'm going in with optimism today. Wish me good luck!

ReputationRep:
    Have to give a presentation today, don't actually really know anything yet so i'm going to be bluffing!

ReputationRep:
    Good luck! :hi:
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    Sob, the perfect PhD project for me with The World's Nicest Supervisor (TM) has come up at Leicester, and I'm stuck here messing around with computers!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Athena)
    Sob, the perfect PhD project for me with The World's Nicest Supervisor (TM) has come up at Leicester, and I'm stuck here messing around with computers!
    That actually looks quite interesting.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Athena)
    I've discovered that the project I really wanted at Birmingham (the only one that could give Bristol a run for its money) is being readvertised this year, so they obviously didn't find someone (or, I suppose, found someone and couldn't fund them). I had a brief crazy moment of "I could give the money back, work for a year while reapplying, and go to B'ham next year" fantasy, but I know it'd be stupid...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by shiny)
    That actually looks quite interesting.
    Ditto, actually!

ReputationRep:
    Question for scientistas: Do you all do project PhDs or do you write your own proposals off the top of your head?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by arkbar)
    Question for scientistas: Do you all do project PhDs or do you write your own proposals off the top of your head?
    Mine was a project. Don't think I know anyone that came up with their own idea in Biology.

ReputationRep:
    If you are on a directly funded PhD studentship (i.e. a studentship that is funded directly out of your supervisors grant) then you don't have a lot of flexibility really. You have to do what your supervisor wrote in the grant proposal.

If you are on a competitively funded PhD studentships (e.g. a departmental one) then there is potentially a lot more flexibility to "do your own thing". In reality though it doesn't really happen and it is more likely that you will spend your first year or two doing work under direct instruction and guidance from your supervisor (or postdoc). Starters usually just don't know enough about the state of the field, methods or techniques to form proposals of their own from the beginning.

ReputationRep:
    Interesting :beard:. Cheers you guys, I literally made my proposal up off the top of my head and now have to spend my time fleshing it out and thinking about methodologies etc.. I envy that you know just what you're doing!

ReputationRep:
    Interesting :beard:. Cheers you guys, I literally made my proposal up off the top of my head and now have to spend my time fleshing it out and thinking about methodologies etc.. I envy that you know just what you're doing!
    Not always. Supervisors have this knack of telling you what they want and then assuming that you (the totally clueless one with no idea about anything) will work out how to do it on your own. Thank god for postdocs and senior students.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by shiny)
    Not always. Supervisors have this knack of telling you what they want and then assuming that you (the totally clueless one with no idea about anything) will work out how to do it on your own. Thank god for postdocs and senior students.
    And how long have you been a non-senior student? :p: My supervisor has a knack of telling me to go read things and not knowing that I spend a lot of my time spinning on my chair in my office.

ReputationRep:
    And how long have you been a non-senior student? :p: My supervisor has a knack of telling me to go read things and not knowing that I spend a lot of my time spinning on my chair in my office.
    i finished recently (woohoo! ) hence the mucho foruming, facebooking, etc. oh yeah and this thing called "publications" :rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    Yay presentation went well, turned out I actually knew alot more than I thought.

ReputationRep:
    so ... i love you all ... thats all i wanted to say
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    Drunk? :p:

ReputationRep:
    Great night out. (Just a bit) happy then woke up this morning to find multiple unauthorised transactions made using my Paypal account which has max'ed out my credit card

*feels violated*

University open days

• University of Bradford
    All faculties Undergraduate
    Wed, 21 Nov '18
  • Buckinghamshire New University
    All Faculties Postgraduate
    Wed, 21 Nov '18
  • Heriot-Watt University
    All Schools Postgraduate
    Wed, 21 Nov '18
Poll
Black Friday: Yay or Nay?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.