Turn on thread page Beta

Geography/Geology Applications/Offers/Discussion 2010 watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jess_888)
    Yeah you should always look as it as a positive thing! You could have been rejected straight off, and instead they're curious and want to know more about you Just make sure you blow them anyway during the interview!!!!! Where else have you applied?

I'm debating on whether to apply to UCL - because I actually live in London, the geography side of me wants to get out of the capital and explore a bit more. But parents as always, want me to apply to at least one university in London.

I'm just wondering whether I can be bothered to through all the hassle of interviews/selection days for UCL, when I'm not 100% sure I'd even like it there!! (I have my two main preferred universities..)

And besides - I always have massive panic attacks in interview situations. Not the best time to present myself eh?? :o:
    Ive applied to Durham, Kings, Cambridge, UCL anddd Bristol! So I have to have two interviews- Im not scared about the UCL interview purely based on the fact that I have to go through the trauma of a cambridge one anyway! haha! You;re so lucky to live in London, I love it love it love it!!!! But I guess if you do live there then you'll want to go further afield I live in Swansea, which is in South Wales if you didnt know- which is like, the end of the earth, so London is just a dream!! Ohh dont worry about interviews! You;re going to have to have them eventually for jobs and things, and the UCL one doesnt sound too daunting! It can still be scary I guess Where are you going to apply?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by boggybop)
    Just checked Durham AES - I've applied for BSc Geography, and the AES has updated, saying that my application has been recieved by a college!

Does that mean that the department have accepted my application? :eek3:
    Well done by the way, Im jealous!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by harriett)
    Yes... well done You will probably get an offer if the college accepts you. It says below where it says the status of your application how it works. Which college did you apply to?
    I applied to Grey College, it seems pretty popular on here, and it's really close to the Geography Department!

ReputationRep:
    At first, I thought this thread would be a good idea.
    Now it's just making me really paranoid!!! I'm going crazy. I know I shouldn't; my friends, my mum and my sister all tell me I have nothing to be worried about. However I am worried. I haven't even applied to any of the universities people on here have got offers from, I don't even know why I care so much that other people have offers because it's very early days.
    I feel much better now I've got this off my chest. Thank you

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by live4summer)
    At first, I thought this thread would be a good idea.
    Now it's just making me really paranoid!!! I'm going crazy. I know I shouldn't; my friends, my mum and my sister all tell me I have nothing to be worried about. However I am worried. I haven't even applied to any of the universities people on here have got offers from, I don't even know why I care so much that other people have offers because it's very early days.
    I feel much better now I've got this off my chest. Thank you
    Stop worrying... lots of my friends have been saying this sort of thing but uni's have until the end of march to give you an offer which is another 20 weeks. If you think about the thousands of applications they have to go through then it isn't really surprising that some people have offers and others don't.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by El28)
    Ive applied to Durham, Kings, Cambridge, UCL anddd Bristol! So I have to have two interviews- Im not scared about the UCL interview purely based on the fact that I have to go through the trauma of a cambridge one anyway! haha! You;re so lucky to live in London, I love it love it love it!!!! But I guess if you do live there then you'll want to go further afield I live in Swansea, which is in South Wales if you didnt know- which is like, the end of the earth, so London is just a dream!! Ohh dont worry about interviews! You;re going to have to have them eventually for jobs and things, and the UCL one doesnt sound too daunting! It can still be scary I guess Where are you going to apply?
    Where am I applying, erm..

Sheffield
    Exeter
    Reading
    UCL
    Birmingham/Southampton?

Lol yeah my friend was saying the same thing about interviews. Experience and everything. After that talk, I've finally decided to apply to UCL in the hope I might get offers from Exeter and Sheffield (my top two hopefully), so I can relax a lot more if I get an invite to selection day at UCL. Meh. Assumptions assumptions. I'm going to dread it when I'll be able to log onto track I'll be obsessed!!!

Now I need to decide whether to apply to Birmingham or Southampton as my final 5th university. And I've got an appointment to send off my ucas on Friday.. Ahhhhhh crap - any advice?

ReputationRep:
    has anyone applied for Trevelyan at Durham?

I applied for:
    Durham
    Exeter
    Edinburgh
    Bristol
    Southampton

and I just got an offer from Exeter =]

ReputationRep:
    Where am I applying, erm..

Sheffield
    Exeter
    Reading
    UCL
    Birmingham/Southampton?

Lol yeah my friend was saying the same thing about interviews. Experience and everything. After that talk, I've finally decided to apply to UCL in the hope I might get offers from Exeter and Sheffield (my top two hopefully), so I can relax a lot more if I get an invite to selection day at UCL. Meh. Assumptions assumptions. I'm going to dread it when I'll be able to log onto track I'll be obsessed!!!

Now I need to decide whether to apply to Birmingham or Southampton as my final 5th university. And I've got an appointment to send off my ucas on Friday.. Ahhhhhh crap - any advice?
    They're all really awesome unis!! I'd saaay.... Birmingham because I love bit cities and its had a bit of a revamp ... but the soton campus is pretty and everyone I know who goes there loves it. Oh gosh the tracking thing is a bit of a nightmare, everytime I log on my heart goes over incase anything has changed!! Just limit yourself to one check a day, haha I'm sure you'll get a UCL invite, maybe I'll see you there!! Do you live far from central London or do you actually live in the middle?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by El28)
    They're all really awesome unis!! I'd saaay.... Birmingham because I love bit cities and its had a bit of a revamp ... but the soton campus is pretty and everyone I know who goes there loves it. Oh gosh the tracking thing is a bit of a nightmare, everytime I log on my heart goes over incase anything has changed!! Just limit yourself to one check a day, haha I'm sure you'll get a UCL invite, maybe I'll see you there!! Do you live far from central London or do you actually live in the middle?
    Lol yeah I live in North London, but it's only a short tube journey away from Central. I could probably tell you everything about London me! :yes:

Ahhhh it'll be really nice to meet you. But like I said, I'm applying on Friday!! So I don't think UCL will get back to me so quickly. When is your selection day/interview anyway?

I was going to apply to Kings actually - but their course seemed a bit too dull for me. There's only so much climate change/environmental stuff I can handle for a year!!!

And I think I'm going for Southampton as my final. It's by the coast :cool: And I like to be beside the seaside

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by julia0915)

I applied for:
    Durham
    Exeter
    Edinburgh
    Bristol
    Southampton

hey well done on your offer! I've applied to Durham, but for Grey not Trevelyan, although I have to admit I was tempted purely on the basis of everything being hexagonal! haha I've also applied to Edinburgh too, looks really good but I didn't visit, did you?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by fifi192)
    hey well done on your offer! I've applied to Durham, but for Grey not Trevelyan, although I have to admit I was tempted purely on the basis of everything being hexagonal! haha I've also applied to Edinburgh too, looks really good but I didn't visit, did you?
    thanks =] yh i have some friends and a cousin at durham all in different colleges, two at grey actually.. and they all seemed to think trevelyan would be best for me.. but we'll see..
    i havn't visited many, only exeter and bristol but i loved them!

ReputationRep:
    oh really? well that's cool, I have no idea whether grey is suited to me but the colleges at durham seem to be very similar really so sure it won't make a massive difference i visited durham, cambridge, nottingham and leicester and to be honest it didnt actually make much difference, really only confirmed the impressions i already had of them, so wasnt too worried about applying to sheffield and edinburgh without visiting first, but still kinda curious!

ReputationRep:
    Im applying for mixed Geography degrees,
    applied in mid october to Sheffield, Durham, Aberystwyth, Queen Marys and Exeter

this week got AAB offer from Exeter, 300 points offer from Aberystwyth, ABB at Sheffield, and interview at Queen Marys on 25th

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by boggybop)
    Just checked Durham AES - I've applied for BSc Geography, and the AES has updated, saying that my application has been recieved by a college!

Does that mean that the department have accepted my application? :eek3:
    niice =]
    when did durham say they received your application??

ReputationRep:
    Has anybody else who's applied to Brizzle got a second confirmation saying they'll try and get back to us within eight weeks?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Zetein)
    Yep! :yep:
    Okay, good thankyou!

Just a bit worried cos my same applying friend does not have it and I was hoping it wasn't somehow a mistake - eight weeks seems manageable! :p:

ReputationRep:
    niice =]
    when did durham say they received your application??
    Being received by your intended college means that very likely you will get an offer, c'z the department has already taken you. Passing your application to the college means that your offer is very much depending on whether the college can allocate a placement for you. Although it is also said that there is a possibility you'd still get rejected by the college, i think the chance will be very slim. (unless you applied to very competitive college without very strong predicted)

Don't worry!

ReputationRep:
    Lol yeah I live in North London, but it's only a short tube journey away from Central. I could probably tell you everything about London me! :yes:

Ahhhh it'll be really nice to meet you. But like I said, I'm applying on Friday!! So I don't think UCL will get back to me so quickly. When is your selection day/interview anyway?

I was going to apply to Kings actually - but their course seemed a bit too dull for me. There's only so much climate change/environmental stuff I can handle for a year!!!

And I think I'm going for Southampton as my final. It's by the coast :cool: And I like to be beside the seaside
    Ahhh you're so lucky!!! London is heaven UCL get back to you pretty quick mind, if you have good predicted grades and sturf... the first interview day is 2nd december and the next is 20th Jan! Well done for choosing your fifth, Southampton sounds awesome. I'm slightly worried because people on here seem to be getting offers for Durham and I've heard nothing.... but I've done BA... do they handle BSC and BA seperatley?? Im scaaaared!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by El28)
    Ahhh you're so lucky!!! London is heaven UCL get back to you pretty quick mind, if you have good predicted grades and sturf... the first interview day is 2nd december and the next is 20th Jan! Well done for choosing your fifth, Southampton sounds awesome. I'm slightly worried because people on here seem to be getting offers for Durham and I've heard nothing.... but I've done BA... do they handle BSC and BA seperatley?? Im scaaaared!

Eeeeeeeee I applied today now for the wait. I only hope my school processes my application asap.

Erm I thought places like Durham and St. Andrews don't tend to give out offers until January. Many universities tend to give out offers in batches, so perhaps they applied earlier than you? And if not and you haven't got a rejection yet, seeming what I heard, it's possible you're on their 'maybe' list and they review some over in January again.. I think that's how some do it as well.. But from what I heard, Durham do take AGESSSSSSSSSS to reply!!!

And I'm applying for the BSc physical geography wins just a bit more over human geography in my opinion..

ReputationRep:

I applied for:
    Durham
    Exeter
    Edinburgh
    Bristol
    Southampton

ME!!! I've applied to Trevelyan too Although to be honest, I'm not expecting an offer, because I've applied for Physical Geography Bsc everywhere else, so my personal statement is more about that. Also, AAA is not looking very realistic for me at the moment (damn you, english coursework!).

University open days

• Manchester Metropolitan University
    Postgraduate Open Day Postgraduate
    Wed, 14 Nov '18
  • University of Chester
    Chester campuses Undergraduate
    Wed, 14 Nov '18
  • Anglia Ruskin University
    Ambitious, driven, developing your career & employability? Aspiring in your field, up-skilling after a career break? Then our Postgrad Open Evening is for you. Postgraduate
    Wed, 14 Nov '18
Poll
Should Banksy be put in prison?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.