Scrap Ema - Increase Scholarships. Watch

Nymthae
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
I am in full agreement that the EMA system needs a revamp of some sorts.

I come from what is considered a 'disadvantaged' area, so pretty much 80-90% of my friends get EMA.

If the EMA system never existed as such, most of the people that currently get EMA (who are well and truly opposed to a change/scrap of the system) probably wouldn't be of such a strong view. It's taken for granted now.

I can't even think how much money is so well and truly wasted through the system. If anything, a case by case sort of basis would be lengthy, but would ensure lesser abuse of the system. If someone is struggling financially, contact the college and it can be sorted.

Plus, the people I know have no idea of 'the value of money' because they get it, without doing anything, nor having to pay for food and bills.

There's no time like the economically-suffering present to do something about it :|
matt2k8
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
Due to generally having to travel further to get to college than school, EMA is neccasary for many people to be able to carry on post-16.
RollerBall
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
(Original post by grape:))
Motivation doesn't buy people food and travel, though, does it?:rolleyes:
No, but dinner tickets and bus passes do. Not £30 a week.
meowmeowmutiny
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
(Original post by blue_shift86)
I used to spend my EMA to go rock climbing + pay for my train fare to go rock climbing once a week. :ninja: . Arguably it kept me mentally sane, led to a well balanced sixth form life and helped me get good a levels. Without some sort of exercise i think i'd have got B's and C's :eek:

Thank got for EMA - i will be eternally grateful
Well that's better than the person who got a really expensive phone contract for doing 3 hours of hairdressing classes a week >_<
little_miss_sunshine_xx
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
(Original post by Doodahdoo)

Obviously there are people who do claim it and do need it, and people who don't claim it and don't need it - but it's a very, very, very flawed system.

Pushing everybody through sixth form and university is wrong because university isn't for everybody - there needs to be a distinction and a recognition of different skills, rather than lumping everybody into the same education system because 'everybody is equal!'
Agreed. Although there are people who use EMA wisely it's just too easy to abuse, and I wouldn't be surprised if 60% of people who receive it do.
Leon Trotsky
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
(Original post by holmes221)
Sadly its probably a good honest minority who don't abuse Ema these days , it has no blocks, rules or limits on it, is simply cold hard cash. (300million pounds of tax payer money a year I think).
That's a generalisation. Maybe where you go/went to school people abused EMA, but here most people use it for its intended purpose.
sheldonite
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
(Original post by Dnator)
All ema does is encourage chavs to go stay in education
^this.

Scholarships, not based off any kind of income - but off academic ability is what we need and scrap EMA.
Leon Trotsky
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
(Original post by Our_Sunshine_Boy)
Sorry, what? I'm proposing that children who are highly gifted from low income values should receive scholarships for private education if they can't go to a grammar school - and I'm elitist?!

It isn't the minority who abuse the EMA system - the system is flawed. It's easily abused and why should the tax payer fund post 16 education?

If you want to become a plumber then you go to college, you learn your trade, become an apprentice and then sooner or later, you start earning.

If you want to do your A-Levels, you go to college/6th form so that you can either get a better job or go to Uni.

Surely qualifications and job prospects are enough motivation to attend your place of education?

Money down the freakin' drain.
The thing is, EMA isn't just a motivational tool to get people to go to college who otherwise wouldn't. It's money that they can use on bus fees, lunch, stationary, books, etc. For many people, without that extra bit of money each week, they'd struggle to stay in education and would probably drop out and go to work.
Munster
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
(Original post by freija)
[OP] So, you're saying that you have to be extremely 'gifted and talented' to deserve an education... or just be rich. And if you're poor and NOT unusually 'gifted' you're to be considered less deserving of an education than a similarly non-'gifted' but rich person. And we should only seek to encourage those people who are already academic to thrive academically, because if you aren't a prodigy by the end of primary school and the family can't pay your way into school, the state should just give up on you altogether.

Riiight.

Because it would be truly illogical to revise the school system in order to reduce the reliance on the independent sector for a good education (i.e. improve the state sector so eventually there are no truly failing comprehensives... which could be done if governments didn't squander such a ridiculous amount of their budget), and far, far better just to add to the already-complex system of get-arounds and benefits which in practice still don't work for most of the population.

I agree with this!!
And [OP] the reason ema is given is so people with parents with a low income can still go to school and not HAVE to get a job. By getting EMA, students can have the choice to continue with A-levels and not dropping out of school to work for money.

At least with EMA everyone can get the chance to go to school and even the people who are only moderately gifted and talented can still learn further studies
Nymthae
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
I'd much rather have a system where a student gets a "ticket" which can be exchanged for a monthly bus pass for example - that way you know the money is going on bus fares.
sheldonite
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
(Original post by Munster)
I agree with this!!
And [OP] the reason ema is given is so people with parents with a low income can still go to school and not HAVE to get a job. By getting EMA, students can have the choice to continue with A-levels and not dropping out of school to work for money.

At least with EMA everyone can get the chance to go to school and even the people who are only moderately gifted and talented can still learn further studies
Okay, well is it right that as somebody who goes to a Grammar School (so I have some level of natural academic ability) not receive EMA - and subsequently have to get a job - reducing the time I can spend on my studies.
mamma_mia
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
(Original post by Nymthae)
I'd much rather have a system where a student gets a "ticket" which can be exchanged for a monthly bus pass for example - that way you know the money is going on bus fares.
And what about for the things like exam resits, travel for interviews or school trips. You can't have a 'ticket' for everything
Doodahdoo
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
(Original post by Munster)
And [OP] the reason ema is given is so people with parents with a low income can still go to school and not HAVE to get a job.
... And people on middle incomes do HAVE to get a job to get by. And looking through this thread - people have been talking about spending their EMA on school trips and allowing them to do apprenticeships - that's great, but I had to work overtime to be able to go on any school trip. And is that really what the EMA is intended for, to allow you to go skiing or to France with your school for a week?!
Finally, there's a really ridiculous assumption coming through in this thread here, which is that higher income =/= higher disposable income.
sheldonite
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
(Original post by mamma_mia)
And what about for the things like exam resits, travel for interviews or school trips. You can't have a 'ticket' for everything
I don't get money for resits, and interviews - that comes out of my personal pocket.

EMA is to get you to school - if you have to resit an exam - you pay for it, if not work harde. If you want to go to an interview, pay for it yourself - its an investment in your future - the rest of us have to.
sheldonite
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
..And looking through this thread - people have been talking about spending their EMA on school trips and allowing them to do apprenticeships - that's great, but I had to work overtime to be able to go on any school trip. And is that really what the EMA is intended for, to allow you to go skiing or to France with your school for a week?!
Finally, there's a really ridiculous assumption coming through in this thread here, which is that higher income =/= higher disposable income.
I agree, I have to work OT to ever be able to afford a school trip.
Munster
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
... And people on middle incomes do HAVE to get a job to get by. And looking through this thread - people have been talking about spending their EMA on school trips and allowing them to do apprenticeships - that's great, but I had to work overtime to be able to go on any school trip. And is that really what the EMA is intended for, to allow you to go skiing or to France with your school for a week?!
(Original post by OrangeStu)
Okay, well is it right that as somebody who goes to a Grammar School (so I have some level of natural academic ability) not receive EMA - and subsequently have to get a job - reducing the time I can spend on my studies.
Well these things are not fair, I guess you're right, the EMA system is quite tainted in that way.
mamma_mia
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
But in most cases higher income = some money spare from parents if a random situation comes up that needs paying for

I have a part time job which is paying for my driving lessons

The ema paid for my biology trip which was 'educational'
However, ema gives people who are not normally able to afford to go skiing etc a chance to have that experience.
Nymthae
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
(Original post by OrangeStu)
EMA is to get you to school - if you have to resit an exam - you pay for it, if not work harder.
I pretty much agree on that point in terms of EMA for resits. Enough people get through college (with excellent grades) without resits. I don't believe that high grades are out of reach of anyone, if they put the work in.

School trips I never thought of, because I haven't yet had offer to go on a school trip (I do Chem/Biol/Maths/Spanish). It depends for what course in which case and how beneficial it is etc. These are allowances that can be made.
sheldonite
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
But in most cases higher income = some money spare from parents if a random situation comes up that needs paying for

However, ema gives people who are not normally able to afford to go skiing etc a chance to have that experience.
I've never been on a forgein holiday with my parents except for Disneyland when I was like 7-8. My family can't afford to go Skiing in the Alps of a February half term - so I should get paid to go on a non-educational jolly.
Doodahdoo
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago

Not many people can afford to go and have that experience - I know that I certainly couldn't, my family couldn't. So why should I not have some money to go on that trip, since I can't otherwise get that experience? And should an education allowance really be spent on going on fun trips, or paying for resits, or various other things that people have mentioned here?

That's beside the point, anyway; I don't disagree with the system because I don't get it, I disagree with it because it's flawed.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Have you registered to vote?

Yes! (250)
39.06%
No - but I will (44)
6.88%
No - I don't want to (47)
7.34%
No - I can't vote (<18, not in UK, etc) (299)
46.72%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed