Report 8 years ago
That we are all pirates.
Mm_Minty
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
(Original post by Teaddict)
My personal favourite is this classic stereotypical view of British people in that they are all wealthy snobs with posh accents, related to Lizzie, love tea and eat crumpets and biscuits. The normal stereotype for us Brits. If only this stereotype was true though. Shamefully, it isn't. Some Brits are complete opposites; some cannot speak English correctly, some are about as useful as a one legged man in an arse kicking contest whilst others have a vocabulary only consisting of swear words.
I think the whole "that's not quite cricket" stereotype is rather charming and wish we could swap the disgraces for cricket-loving, tea drinking, bowler-hat wearing stereotypes ^^
Although I don't like the stereotypes that we're all rascist, with bad teeth who can't cook nice food.
Marsha2112
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
Russians....
All drink vodka, in fact "when it's cold vodka comes out of the taps", smoke, uncultured and backwards, all live in wooden shacks, country is full of bears, everyone is communist.
The sad thing is there is some truth to a few of them...
LMAC
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
That we all wear kilts and eat haggis. The stereotype usually comes from the less educated people.
King Leonidas
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
That Indian women have spicy vaginas

I like Samon :ahee:
speedbird
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
(Original post by SergioMZ)
Some of us are lazy, but overall we are one of the European countries whose workers work the most (in term of working hours).
In point of fact, Spain is the least productive country in Europe, if not the first world.

Okay, sometimes we shout, but that's the language and not all of us shout.
Spain is one of the loudest countries in the world. I guess it's a cultural thing, but there's no denying we are very loud.

I phrased this badly. We feel inferior to Europe, but we aren't.
Why not? I think we are inferior, so to speak, in more ways than one.

I particularly the fact that Spain is becoming more and more multicultural.
In my opinion favouring multiculturalism is a mistake. But what makes you think Spain is moving towards multiculturalism anyway? Immigration alone doesn't make a country 'multicultural.'

I have two or three siestas a year at most, only when I am really, really sick. Normally I can't, it makes me feel really bad.
Whatever. Most people outside Spain don't even know what a siesta is.

Indeed, we are the least patriotic country in the world, I guess. That's because there are a lot of nations and cultural identities within the country, I reckon. But the thing is that we are.
It can only be in Spain that ordinary citizens are accused of supporting fascism when all they do is hum the national anthem.

You are Spanish, aren't you? Where are you from?
Yeah. I was born in Madrid but my parents come from up north.
Stereotypes are quite often half-truths. Cuando el río suena, agua lleva. (Translation: Where there's smoke, there's fire.)

I really should be revising by the way.
Marsha2112
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
(Original post by Slazenger)
fat, bald, Fosters drinking buffoons with St George's flag tattoos.
Haha I've seen quite a few of these on holiday though!
etnies
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
(Original post by maghreblover)
Nigeria- that we're all scammers (who sometimes take up terrorism in our spare time), and that we live in a jungle without paved roads and proper houses. oh and a friend once told me i must see animals when driving on the road. i was like birds? she was like, no, monkeys.
Eh , then ... there's really no point in living there ...
SergioMZ
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
(Original post by speedbird)
In point of fact, Spain is the least productive country in Europe, if not the first world.

Productivity is something that has got to do basically with what bosses and managers do and organise. If they don't do it well, despite the workers working even more than other European colleagues, that's not fault of the worker.
Even in productivity, we are not that bad. Have a look at this, this and this.

Spain is one of the loudest countries in the world. I guess it's a cultural thing, but there's no denying we are very loud.
I'm finding no proof for this. We shout quite a bit, I know, but I think generally all Mediterranians do. Any Mediterranian here agreeing with me?

Why not? I think we are inferior, so to speak, in more ways than one.
First of all: there is NOBODY inferior to anybody. We are all humans, and if you believe so, then let me tell you you are very much mistaken.
And then... I believe that, even if in some aspects we may not be Scandinavia or Germany, we are quite advanced and developed in most aspects. Let me show you the HDI: the Human Development Index. It measures quality of life throughout most countries of the world, being 1 absolute welfare, and 0 being absolute bad quality of life.
If you are interested, you can find it here. You will be surprised to see that Spain's HDI is in fact higher than that of countries such as Denmark, Belgium, Germany, or even the UK.
If we look at murder rates amongst countries, we find that Spain's lower than those of all countries of the UK, Belgium, Ireland, Canada, or the USA. Source here.
Or even, if you want, let's look a ranking of national health services all around the world. Spain's 7th, only being worse than France, Italy, San Marino, Andorra, Malta and Singapore (in that order). You can check it here. The British NHS is 18th, the US health service is 37th, and Canada being 30th.
So, as you can see, we are not "worse" (never inferior, no one's inferior to anybody else) in a lot of aspects than other developed countries.

In my opinion favouring multiculturalism is a mistake. But what makes you think Spain is moving towards multiculturalism anyway? Immigration alone doesn't make a country 'multicultural.'
Multiculturalism is a mistake? Why would that be, if you don't mind to explain? I personally think it's great, and even a necessity. Racist scum can be left somewhere isolated if they so choose, but the general people have the right to see people from all backgrounds everywhere.
And yes, Spain's moving towards multiculturalism. Because:
1. It already was. A Catalan has got nothing to do with an Andalusian, to say an example. There is no such thing as a Spanish united identity, there is nothing we all share. Nothing. Not even at stereo-type level.
2. Even if we consider all Spaniards as having the same cultural background, which would doubtlessly be a mistake, nowadays we have lots of people from abroad: Romanians, Latin Americans, Moroccans, West Africans, Brits (they're the 4th biggest immigration colony in Spain, just after Romania, Morocco and Ecuador, fyi), Chinese, and generally people from all over the world. There are a lot coming, most of them with children. With children raised here, in a lot of cases even born here. That makes them Spaniards, but with a part of their cultural background being foreigner. We are now in a situation like that of the UK some 30 years ago, with ethnically foreign people being born, raised and living all their lives in the country. That is (even more) multiculturalism, yay.

Whatever. Most people outside Spain don't even know what a siesta is.
Okay. They don't know either what the Macarena is, or what bull-fighting, sevillanas or paella are. Are you being serious?

It can only be in Spain that ordinary citizens are accused of supporting fascism when all they do is hum the national anthem.
That is true. Especially if you live in Catalonia... then you can't hum it. Not at all.

Yeah. I was born in Madrid but my parents come from up north.
Good, greetings from a Catalan with Murcian grandparents (the four of them, and thereby, being my roots Murcian).

Good luck with your revision, btw.
>Anna<
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
(Original post by J DOT A)
Kim Kardashian is Armenian?

ahem...."How you doin?"

:cool:
Haha, yeah..she's half.

And I'm good :yep:
Libtolu
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
(Original post by Bubbles*de*Milo)
Possibly that we're all anti-Semitic, Muslim terrorist scum who will blow up your public transport system if we're not watched.
I thought you only did that to jews?
C.Davy
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
(Original post by Teaddict)
Yes, many people aspire to be related to the Queen :rolleyes:

Though I fail to see the problem with being wealthy and speaking with a BBC accent; or even the Queens accent.

agreed.
Libtolu
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
(Original post by Installation)
Dunno really, no one rips on the Indians
Don't you all either run takeaways or are doctors?
Renner
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
(Original post by Xurvi)
We're supposed to be cowards when France has been one of the most at war countries in the world for a couple millenias and have won like 3/4 of the wars and battles the Francs and the French have fought.. Francs versus Caesar, Napoleon versus the whole Europe, etc.
I don't know any other bad stereotype about the French besides that one though, it seems it's the only one (but it compensates by being quite often refered to...)
Erm... Caesar won and Napoleon lost :rolleyes:
username196545
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
(Original post by Libtolu)
I thought you only did that to jews?

Only did what?
Xurvi
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
(Original post by Renner)
Erm... Caesar won and Napoleon lost :rolleyes:
I know... Sorry if my sentence wasn't correct, my point in citing those examples was to show France has been in some of the major wars in History.
And even if they did lose, Napoleon conquered a lot and remained victorious until the european nations decided they would ally themselves. And for the Francs, well, they did give Caesar a hell of a lot of trouble...
h_a_f_s_a
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
(Original post by MJlover)
That we are all pirates.
LMAO, I was just about to say this. :p:
Renner
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
(Original post by Xurvi)
I know... Sorry if my sentence wasn't correct, my point in citing those examples was to show France has been in some of the major wars in History.
And even if they did lose, Napoleon conquered a lot and remained victorious until the european nations decided they would ally themselves. And for the Francs, well, they did give Caesar a hell of a lot of trouble...
Allied under the Duke of Wellington, the thin read line and all that. And of cource you cant mention Waterloo without Trafalgar under Admiral Nelson

We British are well versed at our French bashing lol
lilnikkita
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
(Original post by Lollyage)
We get disowned for not marrying the person of our parents' choice.
We get disowned for not being straight A* students.
We get disowned for not getting into Cambridge.
We get disowned for not doing medicine/engineering/law.
We all talk like Apu from The Simpsons.
I knew before glancing at your flag that these stereotypes were regarding Indians, haha. My Indian friends in the US succumb to the same pressures. At least it is good that parents have high expectations for their children and care about their success. I'm not in your shoes though; I have no idea how well I would perform under such constant pressure.
lilnikkita
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
One of the reasons I want to travel outside the US is because all of the negative connotations associated with being American. Americans are: ignorant, uneducated, horrible with geography, obese, and can only speak one language. Well, a lot of that is true. Stereotypes did arise from truth to begin with.

Being Russian, there is one major stereotype that I will probably be hearing about till my death: VODKA. Yes, we Russians like our vodka. I used to get so annoyed by this, until I realized I was fighting a loosing battle and furthermore, it's completely true. There are a few who don't drink it, but that is extremely rare...I guess why not embrace the stereotypes and just laugh about it? As long as we know who we are, does it really matter?
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Are you chained to your phone?

Yes (109)
19.82%
Yes, but I'm trying to cut back (223)
40.55%
Nope, not that interesting (218)
39.64%

Watched Threads