What will you be cooking at university? Watch

Sayers
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
(Original post by kiara-marie)
Hey,
are you a trini or do you have trini heritage? I saw trini food like roti and wondered:rolleyes:

Generally, I cook just about anything, from stir fry to curry to lasagna... and order take away ever so often:yep:

Hey,

Yes, I am. My mom's Trini. I LOVE to cook all foods as well and take out never hurts lol
LuhLah
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
I have no idea.
Workforce
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
Protien Shakes
Curwhibble
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
Going by the last year i'll be living off tuna wraps, brown rice and baked sweet potato.

Actual cooking ... not so much.
Mijdge
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
If you're a veggie, Quorn can be quite expensive so see if any of your local health food shops have an equivalent (usually a lot cheaper) or if your supermarket has it's own brand stuff

And pasta is a student godsend. Along with instant 9p noodles. Try and buy stuff from local markets when you can, it's a lot lot cheaper than supermarkets. And everyone knows if you go to the supermarket at closing time you can get cheap stuff, which you can freeze and then use at a later date
jennifer.re
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
Vodka.

Ha, ummm I was eating jacket potatoes, turkey or vegetable (sweet potato, kidney beans, butter beans, any veg that needed finishing) curry - sometimes with rice, pasta with tomato type sauce with turkey or chopped chorizo and onions etc. Instant noodles. Paté on toast.
I only had a takeaway about 5 times in the year, which is impression in comparison to some people I lived with.
twinsforever
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
(Original post by Sayers)
cooking. I love to cook everything. Triniy food Roti, curry chicken and rice, Mexican, Italian and American dishes.
Curry chicken and rice is quick so is spaghetti.
I'm guessing you dont actually make the roti yourself? I dont cook but I will need to learn especially curry! :love:
Back to the thread: easy stuff since currently I dont cook that much but things that use the same ingredients, like bolgnese, chill con carne, tacos and lasagne all use mince meat of some kind.
Spikificus
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
Steak from Tescos. You can get the quick fry steaks for about £3.50. Two packs of those, normally have 5 to 6 steaks in a pack. Wrap 2 to a foilpack and freeze. Use that with Worcestar Sauce and beans - does a lovely meal.

Failing that? Good curry or Shish Kebab (drools)..
polka_dott
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
Curry, chicken, fajitas, jacket potatoes...
Sayers
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
(Original post by twinsforever)
I'm guessing you dont actually make the roti yourself? I dont cook but I will need to learn especially curry! :love:
Back to the thread: easy stuff since currently I dont cook that much but things that use the same ingredients, like bolgnese, chill con carne, tacos and lasagne all use mince meat of some kind.
No, I do. My grandmother would have it NO other way lol
twinsforever
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
No, I do. My grandmother would have it NO other way lol
Wow, I am impressed. I cant even make curry at the moment! My lack of roti making skills explains the long term absence of roti in my house but tbf my cousins who actually live in Trinidad dont know how to make it! But then that may be because they always have a close supply....:o:
Sayers
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
(Original post by twinsforever)
Wow, I am impressed. I cant even make curry at the moment! My lack of roti making skills explains the long term absence of roti in my house but tbf my cousins who actually live in Trinidad dont know how to make it! But then that may be because they always have a close supply....:o:
Lol I understand that. Few of my cousins know how to make it either. My Grandmother was very determined to make sure my mom didnt 'lose her roots' after they moved to America and consequently my mom shared the determination with us. I love making curry as well. It was the first dish I learned to make so I'm sure you will have fun learning. If you know a good roti or curry place in York please let me know lol so I can save time on the cooking.
Dorito
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
Easy stuff like lasagne, chilli, curry, fish... etc.

I'll probably make more than I need so I can freeze it and have it twice in that week to save money, I'll probably have microwave meals a couple of times a week too.
twinsforever
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
Lol I understand that. Few of my cousins know how to make it either. My Grandmother was very determined to make sure my mom didnt 'lose her roots' after they moved to America and consequently my mom shared the determination with us. I love making curry as well. It was the first dish I learned to make so I'm sure you will have fun learning. If you know a good roti or curry place in York please let me know lol so I can save time on the cooking.
Yeah my Grandma is very into cooking but my mother isnt really! I'm not sure when I'm gonna learn but it should be soon so I can make it at uni or I may just have to visit home everytime my mum makes it! Though at the moment we have no curry powder so we cant make ANY curry and we have no roti! What a brilliant combination!
I dont even know a roti/curry place in London and I'm sure there are quite a few- it is London after all! I know a magazine called Taste the Caribbean from a friend- it has locations of restaurants and stuff so it may have something in there. Not sure if I cant post the link but its the European website!
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• University of East Anglia
    All Departments Open 13:00-17:00. Find out more about our diverse range of subject areas and career progression in the Arts & Humanities, Social Sciences, Medicine & Health Sciences, and the Sciences. Postgraduate
    Wed, 30 Jan '19
  • Solent University
    Careers in maritime Undergraduate
    Sat, 2 Feb '19
  • Sheffield Hallam University
    City and Collegiate Campus Undergraduate
    Sun, 3 Feb '19

Do you have a role model?

Yes - I know them personally (294)
26.09%
Yes - they're famous (286)
25.38%