OCR AS Philosophy & Ethics, Monday 7th June. Watch

musicgirl
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
i did questions 2 and 4 on both papers!
so that was, strengths of Mill's utilitarianism and the war question

then Ontological and Freud got bit stuck on freud and only managed to write just over a page on part a so don't think my mark will be great for that one!
Simplyobsessed
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
(Original post by Pepsimax93)
Hey what kinda things did you include in the right to a child thingy ;]
IVF mainly.

I'm happy with how it went
Simplyobsessed
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
(Original post by musicgirl)
i did questions 2 and 4 on both papers!
so that was, strengths of Mill's utilitarianism and the war question

then Ontological and Freud got bit stuck on freud and only managed to write just over a page on part a so don't think my mark will be great for that one!
Religious Ethics and War? Wow, you really do know how to pick 'em :eek3:
Pepsimax93
Badges: 0
Report 8 years ago
(Original post by Simplyobsessed)
IVF mainly.

I'm happy with how it went
i did that a bit, but then went on about Abortion a lot - reckon i'll get any points for that? >.>
musicgirl
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
that was my fave question! loved that one!!
j_09
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
I found the ethics question really difficult and think I got quite a low mark. I did the Kant one too and the absolutism/relativism one and really struggled.
mytsrusername
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
I did kant too!!! but part b i had NO clue what to write, just babbled on about RCC view cos i remembered that from gcse(!) - I didn't include ANY scholar's views cos i hadn't revised the 'rights to a child', so not too good!! Did anyone manage to?!

Other Ethics I did Utilitarianism Q- easiest one by far!

The Philos- Ontological But didn't really get in everything/develop as much as I wanted bcos of bad structure.. annoyinggg! .. then I hadn't revised the others well cos I was expecting PROB OF EVIL!!!! ahh
So did the Aristotle PM & God as craftsman =WTF i didn't have any bible quotes!!

Overall, not an amazing exam :/
but, IT'S OVERRR!!!
Nayberay
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
Haha that exams was :erm:

I only did AS Ethics but did the absolutist and relativist question (Number 1) and Mills Utilitarianism (Number 2).
An ok paper I would say.

What questions came up for Philosophy?
Heard the Problem of evil didn't come up LOL

Hope everyones good
Rebecca.
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
(Original post by Nayberay)
Haha that exams was :erm:

I only did AS Ethics but did the absolutist and relativist question (Number 1) and Mills Utilitarianism (Number 2).
An ok paper I would say.

What questions came up for Philosophy?
Heard the Problem of evil didn't come up LOL

Hope everyones good
I did the same two as you in Ethics! You know for part b, it said something along the lines of 'Relativist theories do not convince you to do good.' Did we have to write specifically about a relativist theory, as opposed to relativist morality in general?! I start blabbing about morality, then realised halfway through and had to chuck in some bits about Utilitarianism to make up for it, ah!

For Philosophy there was Aristotle and God as a craftsman, Anselm's Ontological, Freud, and Irreducible Complexity.

I did Anselm's Ontological, which I thought went fairly well, and then Freud, which I ran out of things to say for after the first page or so. Does anyone know if it was okay to use Freud again for part b to disagree with the fact that morality comes from God?
jimbo9292
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
(Original post by BigGalty)
ONTOLOGY CAME UP!
I was very happy when I saw that. I did that + Prime Mover question for Philosophy, and the first two questions on the Ethics paper.
What/how did everyone else do?

I did the same four questions as you :yep: my fav by far was the Ontological argument tht was easy , one i was least pleased with was Mills Utility not because i didnt know it its just there didnt seem tht much to write but i did OK i guess
linzcc48
Report 8 years ago
(Original post by BigGalty)
ONTOLOGY CAME UP!
I was very happy when I saw that. I did that + Prime Mover question for Philosophy, and the first two questions on the Ethics paper.
What/how did everyone else do?
i did ontological argument too the part a because it was a theory i didn't write loads and i included gaunilo. i just ran of things to say,
and i also did prime mover and god as a craftsman but i didn;t know there could be a question on two topics linked. i'm not sure if i linked them enough :/
ethics was really nice. Mill was a god-send
and kant and right a child was alright but there isn't loads you can talk about i felt.
also for the part b about philosophers can only explain creation what did people put?
ad92
Report 8 years ago
(Original post by jimbo9292)
I did the same four questions as you :yep: my fav by far was the Ontological argument tht was easy , one i was least pleased with was Mills Utility not because i didnt know it its just there didnt seem tht much to write but i did OK i guess
and anyone else that done the ontological question. for part b

i mentioned cosmological arg, in the logical necessity part saying that it demands a god to initiate movement. other pt's i mentioned were that the ontological arguments starting pt. was flawed and theres not any emperical evidence, but logical (a priori ) arguments are useful i.e. they give a starting pt. Do you think thats ok or i went completely off topic?
Ellie Roberts
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 8 years ago
(Original post by ad92)
and anyone else that done the ontological question. for part b

i mentioned cosmological arg, in the logical necessity part saying that it demands a god to initiate movement. other pt's i mentioned were that the ontological arguments starting pt. was flawed and theres not any emperical evidence, but logical (a priori ) arguments are useful i.e. they give a starting pt. Do you think thats ok or i went completely off topic?
Yeah for the ontological argument part b question about God's existence being a logical necessity etc, what did everyone include? I think i went waayyyy off topic..
Pepsimax93
Report 8 years ago
Why does pepsi go flat as soon as you pour it? >.>, this is a philosophical dilemma.
But, Coke does quite the contray fizz fizz fizz... until a couple of hours later- a phenomena!
Now you're all enlightened, Coke or Pepsi - I choose Coke.
gok12
Report 8 years ago
I did the ontological one as well cos it was by far the easiest one. I also did the prime mover question. For the b part to the ontological one, I talked about anselm's own criticisms, aquinas and a bit about his cosmological argument, and then descartes and kant
Jazzy09
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
(Original post by linzcc48)
i did ontological argument too the part a because it was a theory i didn't write loads and i included gaunilo. i just ran of things to say,
and i also did prime mover and god as a craftsman but i didn;t know there could be a question on two topics linked. i'm not sure if i linked them enough :/
ethics was really nice. Mill was a god-send
and kant and right a child was alright but there isn't loads you can talk about i felt.
also for the part b about philosophers can only explain creation what did people put?
I did the same as you.

For that philosophers part i wrote about how other examples such as science try to explain creation...I found it really awkward to answer.. and kinda concluded you should take a fair view on every idea...but in the back of my mind i felt that any one who tried to explain creation...is kinda a philosopher :/ I'm not sure about that one at all.
Noodlzzz
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
Some nice questions, glad too see ontological I must say
simon180
Report 8 years ago
ontological argument = fine
part b of this = ok
craftsman/prime mover = ok
phillosopher best to explain = ok but went of topic

kant = good
right to a child = fine
religious war = good
war allways wrong = good

think i did alight in ethics but not so good in philosophy. for philosophy I had no choice of questions either
gok12
Report 8 years ago
Yeh, for the part b for the philosopher one I talked about science explaining creation as well as religion explaining creation and i just concluded that the statement was wrong because of this
doomhalo
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
(Original post by Rebecca.)
I did the same two as you in Ethics! You know for part b, it said something along the lines of 'Relativist theories do not convince you to do good.' Did we have to write specifically about a relativist theory, as opposed to relativist morality in general?! I start blabbing about morality, then realised halfway through and had to chuck in some bits about Utilitarianism to make up for it, ah!

For Philosophy there was Aristotle and God as a craftsman, Anselm's Ontological, Freud, and Irreducible Complexity.

I did Anselm's Ontological, which I thought went fairly well, and then Freud, which I ran out of things to say for after the first page or so. Does anyone know if it was okay to use Freud again for part b to disagree with the fact that morality comes from God?

I did that for Part B, there isn't a lot else you can write. I just wrote about Kant's perspective, and then put in something about how underlying moral law wouldn't necessarily lead to God and the Summum Bonum - could be like Hindu beliefs about reincarnation of the soul

Ontological was nice
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• University of the Arts London
    MA Design: Ceramics, Furniture or Jewellery Open Day Postgraduate
    Fri, 25 Jan '19
  • Coventry University
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Sat, 26 Jan '19
  • Brunel University London
    Undergraduate Experience Days Undergraduate
    Sat, 26 Jan '19

Do you think the internet has made political discussion more aggressive?

Yes (52)
98.11%
No (1)
1.89%

Watched Threads