Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Thomassss)
    how would you feel if I started drawing pictures of your mum with a bomb on her turban and looking like a slut ?

or if I burned the Union Jack ?
    I doubt most people would care tbh.

ReputationRep:
    :ditto:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Thomassss)
    how would you feel if I started drawing pictures of your mum with a bomb on her turban and looking like a slut ?

or if I burned the Union Jack ?
    Lol you can burn flags to your hearts content, Muslims care about flag burning, not the rest of us.

ReputationRep:
    Why should non-muslims live according to the muslim way?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by spread_logic_not_hate)
    I'm not attacking the protest, i'm attacking those who protest for the sake of protesting - simply to 'stir the pot', and who make it about attacking others. I bet hardly anyone who drew mohammed did so truly
    to champion free speech!

It's like the idiots who jumped on the Ross/Brand scandal - most of those 'offended' didn't even hear the thing when it first broadcast!

We shouldn't allow our freedom of speech to be eroded by others. I agree totally; my point was that in this particular issue, couldn't people just respect that drawing mohammed was going to anger people and, despite having the freedom to do so, exercise restraint and choose not to?

That sort of restraint occurs in everyday life - you have a conversation with someone and refrain from telling them things that you could do, simply to avoid upsetting them.
    You could make that argument about any joke involving any religious or political figure ever.

And there is also the fact that in a lot of cases, including this one, choosing not to will also make a lot of people angry.

What makes Muhammad different?

(Original post by Nashy19)
    Lol you can burn flags to your hearts content, Muslims care about flag burning, not the rest of us.
    So why is it illegal? :facepalm2:

ReputationRep:
    I'm sure if Muhammad were around today he wouldn't like to see all this silly fighting.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by RamocitoMorales)
    its illegal in america fs not here

(Original post by rebecca871)
    its illegal in america fs not here
    It is illegal. It's also illegal to burn bank notes and melt coins, as it is categorized as defacing the Queen. :teehee:

ReputationRep:
    It's not....

ReputationRep:
    I support this 100% :yep:

ReputationRep:
    It is illegal. It's also illegal to burn bank notes and melt coins, as it is categorized as defacing the Queen. :teehee:

Its really not illegal

ReputationRep:
    Source?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Kralizec)
    You could make that argument about any joke involving any religious or political figure ever.

And there is also the fact that in a lot of cases, including this one, choosing not to will also make a lot of people angry.

Muhammed (pbuh) is a messenger of God.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Kralizec)

It's not that it's mohammed, it's that it's been done with the sole purpose of angering muslims. It's beyond 'poking fun', like say a caricature of a political figure - actual malice is behind it. That's why I object to it.

A more practical consideration is that it's an issue currently dominating the media and would be best left to die quietly, hence my thought that restraint should be exercised.

ReputationRep:
    :fyi: It isn't.

ReputationRep:
    It's not that it's mohammed, it's that it's been done with the sole purpose of angering muslims. It's beyond 'poking fun', like say a caricature of a political figure - actual malice is behind it. That's why I object to it.
    You couldn't be more wrong. It's got absolutely nothing to do with angering any one and you know that.

ReputationRep:
    That is completely false.

ReputationRep:
    Oh please, get over yourselves. Always demanding respect and fair treatment when you're the first to call down anyone that doesn't fit into a 2 millenia old society's ideals :rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by aliluvschoc)
    I support Do what ever the hell you want, but try not to be a sheep - day. I'll have it scheduled for the near future.
    This :3 I'd like to think freedom of speech isn't limited to non-muslims. Why not just broaden the scope, not target a particular religion and let everyone enjoy celebrating freedom of speech

Poll
Brexit: Given the chance now, would you vote leave or remain?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.