Would Britain tolerate a Black Primeminister? Watch

Roobagnall
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
Of course! They're blacking up Cameron as we speak!
SuperStarr1
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
(Original post by Howard)
Here in America we're having to put up with a ****** for a President (No wonder we're a laughing stock!) so I'm sure you could handle a black PM.
If that word begins with "N" ..F*** you, p****!
dukeofgrove
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 8 years ago
(Original post by miss_opinionated)
I'm frickin shocked by the number of racists on here.
Im not shocked and its confirmed my suspicions that we wont have a primeminister from an ethnic minority for at least 30 years if ever.

Although statisticly about 90% of the country is white so its not necesarily rasicm just look if we ever have one.
jannike
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
(Original post by Tsukuyomi)
I wouldnt mind. I cannot care less if she is black/blue or green. Also coulodnt care about gender.
I'm not too sure i will happen. The british arent as open minded as the USA.
Hah, if you read a few posts above yours, there's an example to the contrary.

I think the difference with the USA is that they are a country of relatively recent immigrants, and so all races (apart from native Americans) should have an equal claim to American ancestry. In the UK, most us of accept that values and policies are what's important, while race is pretty irrelevant, but because of this country's ancient White history, some people are a little more reluctant to lose what they see as traditional British ancestry.
dukeofgrove
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 8 years ago
(Original post by jannike)

I think the difference with the USA is that they are a country of relatively recent immigrants, and so all races (apart from native Americans) should have an equal claim to American ancestry. In the UK, most us of accept that values and policies are what's important, while race is pretty irrelevant, but because of this country's ancient White history, some people are a little more reluctant to lose what they see as traditional British ancestry.
And also there many more blacks and minorities in America then in Britain
jannike
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
(Original post by dukeofgrove)
And also there many more blacks and minorities in America then in Britain
Yeah, because America has been taken over by people who are not its ancestors, so apart from native Americans, no race can call themselves any more American than another.
Thrasymachus
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
I find the usage of the term 'tolerate' curious in this context.

In anycase, for me it's non-issue what colour skin the PM has <insert further obvious stuff here>

What I dislike about Abbott, quite intently, is her focus on the fact she is isn't white or male. She is a person first and foremost and it's policies and capability that I judge a potential PM on - not the colour of their skin or gender - she's gonna get nowhere with that attitude, with me at least.

(Original post by jannike[B)
]I think people often imply culture when they talk about race.[/B] A Christian Pakistani born in this country and brought up in a white community would probably gain the average British person's trust because they have "British values", regardless of the fact that they are brown. When people talk about not wanting a leader from another race, I think they automatically assume that person would hold different cultural values, when that isn't necessarily true.
Yeah, I find that confusing as well as irritating. Though I imagine that Pakistani candidate would spend as much time convincing people how 'British and Christian' they are as much as usual candidates spend time trying to convince people they aren't slightly racist/misogynistic posh boys.

I wonder how much you know about President Obongo's healthcare reform.
I'll be honest, I did almost lol - you're a character, i'll give you that.
Vodkaslur
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
Why does it matter what they are? As long as they're good, no??
Howard
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
(Original post by SuperStarr1)
If that word begins with "N" ..F*** you, p****!
No need to chimp out.
jannike
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
(Original post by Azog 150)
I think it would. An Asian PM is a different kettle of fish (I wouldn't bother me in the slightest- but you know what some people are like)
I think people would be more worried about religion than race. I think most people would accept a non-religious person of Asian parentage as Prime Minister, but a Muslim candidate would probably be less popular. To be honest, I wouldn't feel completely comfortable with a Muslim prime minister, or one overtly belonging to any other religion for that matter, because I think politics in this country shouldn't be mixed with religious belief.
nihility
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
(Original post by Roobagnall)
Of course! They're blacking up Cameron as we speak!
itll take alot of blacking up to get rid of the permanent orange tint of upper class guilt.
Kreuzuerk
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
Here in America we're having to put up with a ****** for a President (No wonder we're a laughing stock!) so I'm sure you could handle a black PM.
This is why you're taken seriously.

Diane Abbot would, in my opinion, be appalling. Mainly because I find her to be a tad dim. She's probably also about 10% portillo by now aswell given his sofa-tendencies and what we know of osmosis.
Aj12
  • Political Ambassador
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
(Original post by Tsukuyomi)
I wouldnt mind. I cannot care less if she is black/blue or green. Also coulodnt care about gender.
I'm not too sure i will happen. The british arent as open minded as the USA.
Your joking right?
Markh1000
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
I wonder how much you know about President Obongo's healthcare reform.
Oh what a lovely human being you are.
Stace-is-Ace
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
Only if they knew that Prime Minister was two separate words.

Personally, I wouldn't have a problem with a black PM. I guess the BNP would be pretty pissed though. There could end up being a situation whereby if the PM did a bad job, a lot of racism could develop simply because the electorate would become disgruntled with politics. They always find something to pinpoint about a PM who 'fails'. That idea sounds a bit far fetched though.

At the end of the day if voters want the person to be in power, they'll vote for their party. The colour of their skin shouldn't come into it.
('',)
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
I'm sure we would, I'm also sure that we'd have the intelligence not to elect someone just because they're black.
jannike
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
(Original post by Pandaboo)
I don't think it really is about racism... it's just that some people would prefer a white British Prime Minister, since he/she is presumed to be working in the interests of England, since it is their home, their life. What people fear, is that if our Prime Minister was of another race, then this may increase the chances of the PM to be working in the interests of others. E.g. If they are of Chinese descent, their foreign policies may be more in the interests of China, so England may lose out.

But then again, there are some people like me who are born and raised here, so apart from the way we look (and maybe our food, traditions etc), there isn't so much of an attachment that we have to our original country, for us to be side stepping England's interests -because England is our home, our life.

Don't get me wrong, I do have a strong interest in my inherited culture and I'd love to travel back to my roots, and explore the traditions that I've missed out on. I will do in the future.
I agree with you. Rather than being concerned with actual skin colour, I think people want someone who considers themselves completely British, with no strong ties to any other country, and is invested in British ancestry.
afridi10
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
(Original post by jannike)
I think people often imply culture when they talk about race. A Christian Pakistani born in this country and brought up in a white community would probably gain the average British person's trust because they have "British values", regardless of the fact that they are brown. When people talk about not wanting a leader from another race, I think they automatically assume that person would hold different cultural values, when that isn't necessarily true.

However, I wouldn't like a deeply religious prime minister anyway, because I wouldn't want religious beliefs to affect how the country is run.
That's true it's more cultural and religous than race as some pakistanis could say pass for 'spanish/italian' but the culture is different which doesn't represent the country. But haven't a lot of black people totally adopted British culture/ ideology/ religion which is indigenous to this country than arabs/persians/central Asians who have strongly held on to there culture and not integrated. So in that case a black pm
would be 'tolerable', unless identification is to do with how similar you look to someone?
Howard
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
(Original post by Markh1000)
Oh what a lovely human being you are.
I love this. Say something really objectionable on TSR, kick back, and watch everybody chimp out.

It's the forum equivalent of farting in an elevator.
Don John
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
She looks like a female Lenny Henry
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Are you chained to your phone?

Yes (68)
19.43%
Yes, but I'm trying to cut back (144)
41.14%
Nope, not that interesting (138)
39.43%

Watched Threads